1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans vs. Rams (Preseason)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Aug 19, 2022.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

"This is a tough place to score"

Two seconds later....

TD Rams.

Quality commentary.

2. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Driskel would be a helluva rb

cmoak1982 likes this.
  3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

#90 needs to be gone

Fantasma Negro and Fulgore like this.
  4. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I like him as an athlete more than I like him as a QB. It would be nice if they could find a spot for him somewhere.

5. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Took him over Johnathon Taylor. Yikes

conquistador#11 likes this.
  6. edwardc

edwardc Member

there the flag is .

7. edwardc

edwardc Member

Can we imagine what Pep could do with a Better QB than Mills.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I kind of wish we could mix all 3 backup quality QB's into one starting quality QB.

vjohnson likes this.
  9. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That female pre-game announcer predicted the final score 24-20.

Go Texans!

edwardc likes this.
  10. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not worried about Mills like so many of you. He'll look better with our starting offensive line and Pierce in as RB. He can throw some nice deep balls and Pierce is a lot more of a threat to keep that ball moving down the field. I'll save my worries for the real season if he doesn't do better.

whag00, Shark44, ROXRAN and 1 other person like this.
  11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

And unfortunately, Mills is the opposite. Mills is consistently off target

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's the reason I was so critical of him, he's not seeing the field well, he's not seeing where the blitz is coming from, he's not able to extend plays if the blitz does come, and he's not making many accurate passes.

I expect more from a presumptive starter.

13. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Dameon Pierce dominated the Saints, and is clearly dominating in practice. Rookie RB, not playing while the Vet presumed starter in TC is....

It would be easy to say that the Texans are going to start him, but I think the Texans realize they have something special ala Alvin Kamara's rookie year with the Saints.

14. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Not too worried about a Pre-season game where your only weapons are Marlon Mack and Nico Collins.

Mills got some good snaps in. Guys weren't open in a vanilla setting.

He looked fantastic at the end of the last season. We know that is there.

Shark44, ROXRAN and cmoak1982 like this.
  15. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

What I like about Mills is there he took some long shots and intermediate shots and that’s what we wanted what I didn’t like is that he missed on some throws but he had a real good two minute stretch in his final plays to make up for it… He got the work in with less than ideal personnel

deb4rockets likes this.
  16. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Mills is our best QB and this season is make-or-break for him... if he can build on his very nice rookie season, then we've got the most valuable asset in football -- a good QB on a rookie contract. We need to get him more offensive weapons, and he had very little last night to work with. Metchie's injury was a gut-punch. I'm high on Mills -- his intelligence and anticipation is truly unique, and he has good field vision and pocket awareness. There's a lot to work with there.

17. conquistador#11

I thought Stingley looked really good in his first live snaps of the presesson technique wise. He evem turned his head and looked for the ball. Pitre too, ran the tight end's route for him on a couple of plays, granted it was not Kelce out there.

Can't really evaluate Mills with his LT,RT,LG and the fire blanket all missing.

They really need a 2nd CB

ROXRAN, deb4rockets and cmoak1982 like this.
  18. Newlin

Newlin Member

I’m not surprised Allen looked pretty good. He’s got talent, he can throw the ball. I was excited when we picked him up because he’s a fairly young guy that could possibly develop into something. Remember, he was supposed to be an elite QB coming out of high school. His college career got all screwed up, but he has talent. I think he’s starting his 5th year in the NFL, so he’s had time to watch and learn. If he’s not starting material, he could be a solid back up, similar to Case Keenum.

Hank McDowell and deb4rockets like this.
  19. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Agree that Mills struggled a bit, but as others have already pointed out he was basically playing with 2nd/3rd string offense sans a couple of guys. His go to WR wasn't there and I think we'll see a different Mills when Cooks is in. I think last night was big for Nico, in that he made some tough catches and a huge TD grab. I also believe Pierce has a chance to elevate the entire offense, which will open up more opportunities for Mills. The offense is a little like Frankenstein right now as Pep works to piece together the right parts. Hopefully, by the time we play Indy it looks altogether different.

I think we have a solid backup QB in Allen and believe Driskel could be fun operating in a wildcat formation. Believe we're solid at WR 1-2, but after that we need help, I actually like Dorsett next, he just seems to have a knack to make something happen and he's super fast.

While the offense still has some holes, our defense looks pretty dang good. Again, we're giving young guys opportunities, but wait until we can roll out some of the vets to go with the core--could be the difference in how competitive we are this year.

While preseason wins don't count, it's still refreshing to see guy's will to win on the field result in a victory.

whag00 likes this.
  20. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Exactly this. The dude can flat out throw the football. He got royally screwed at A&M, and if I remember right he got a raw deal at UH too. I don’t know if it was just a case of really bad luck for him in college, or if there was something else going on with him behind the scenes, but his ability has never been in question. I think he will be in the league for a long time.

deb4rockets likes this.