1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans trade for Brandin Cooks

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by zeeshan2, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Peter King said that a week or so ago when rumors started about Cooks being available he talked to a number of GMs and the belief was the Rams would want a top 60 pick to really consider moving him. We gave up pick 57 and got a future 4th round pick.

Lance is all aboard the O'Brien hate train. He is also extremely bias when it comes to over valuing draft picks because he makes most of his living now doing the draft scouting for the NFL Network. He quotes his "sources" as saying Cooks could be had for a 5th. I will believe Peter King on this one.

As I also said earlier, the choice wasn't Cooks vs a 2nd round pick chosen by a competent GM. The choice was Cooks or a Bill O'Brien selected 2nd round pick. I will take Cooks in that situation.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Interesting that he mentions Pittman, guessing Lance likes him as one of the more instant impact guy outside of that tier 1 WR group.

3. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

I will O’Brien may be a better drafted than what you give him credit for. Two years ago, they drafted Reid, the Jordan’s, Coutee, and Ejiofor who are all impactful players when they are on the field. This was without the first two picks. Last year, in the second round, Sharping looked great as a rookie and will be even better this year. Lonnie Johnson has been working out nonstop looking to improve. I like these picks as well as Omenihu. O’Brien hasn’t done a bad job drafting. I’d give him a B-

4. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In a vacuum, I like this deal.

Cooks stretches the field like Fuller, and allows the offense to function as designed when he's out. In addition, BC is a playmaker (not on Hopkins level, but still)
    Again, the whole deal with Brandin is whether he can stay healthy.

Watson should light him up.

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Agreed but Gaine was also part of the show those 2 years. This will be BoB's first draft with absolute control so we'll see.

raining threes likes this.
  6. magichat281

magichat281 Member

I believe we traded Hopkins because he was in the way to make watson a leader. Watson was second captin of the offense team. With hops in the way he couldn’t do his thing.

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  7. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

I’m pretty sure O’Brien was in control even though Gaine was “GM”. If you recall, McNair picked OB over Rick Smith to have the power of player personnel. It sucks the team isn’t able to get Nick Caserio to be GM because that would put a limit on O’Brien’s control

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You're kidding right?

9. raining threes

Rams are paying 21.8 million in dead cap money

Texans are paying 8 million next season.

When have the Texans finished 6-10 under BOB?

Let me guess, you hated the Nuk trade and cant let it go.

10. raining threes

Why do you think this?

11. raining threes

Cooks has only missed 2 games in the last 5 yrs,

12. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

Yes but once concussions start, every additional one impacts you worse. Cooks will probably be apprehensive catching the ball in traffic just to prevent getting hit in the head. Look at Fiedorowicz (sp?), his career ended early because of them.

13. raining threes

According to those in the know Cooks has sustained low grade concussions.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

Posturing considered low grade concussions. interesting

15. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Bill O'Brien makes me miss Gary Kubiak and Rick Smith. Heck, he makes me even miss Don Capers...

16. Nook

Nook Member

Ehh Peter King said the feeling around the league was he would be dealt for a 5 or maybe a 4.

17. Nook

Nook Member

Cooks is a very nice #2 receiver if he is healthy. I would love him lined up with Hopkins.

Still the concussions are a very serious concern. Having that many at that age really is a serious red flag.

I would be happy with the risk if he were the number 2 with Hopkins on board as the number one.

Still, while I think the Texans overpaid, realistically they lost the equivalent to a 3rd rounder.

Still really hard to swallow paying Johnson, Cobb, Cooks and Fuller $35,000,000 next year.

For the same money the Texans could have had Hopkins, Cooks and Gordon and a lower level receiver free agent like Taylor Gabriel or possibly Ted Ginn... and that is with giving Hopkins 19-20 million.

18. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

The non guaranteed money left is a positive, but you gave up a 2nd round pick he better stick around for more than one year.

4 concussions in 26 months and now he's been on 4 teams in 6 yrs.

They had 2nd round picks in a draft thats deep at the WR position and with that they could have traded up into the first round if there was someone they wanted. I think BOB doesn't want a rookie, because we know he can't coach up a young player.

Until he is fired this is going to be a damn train wreck.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  19. magichat281

magichat281 Member

Nope I smoked a bowl of crack and took lsd. You can see Hopkins would tell watson to run certain plays for him. Now this is all Watson’s team now. No one can tell him what to do when he’s under the snap. You can see nuk telling watson to run certain plays sometimes. Watson is a leader and hops in his way.

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  20. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Watson doesn't have an elite skill player on the roster. And no WR on the roster to catch 50/50 balls. Hop was a master. He'll be missed.

plutoblue11, Nook and Buck Turgidson like this.