1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans trade DeAndre Hopkins to Arizona

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Mar 16, 2020.

1. rugg31

rugg31 Member

I can't even imagine how unpopular this post is going to be, but I personally believe we got out from DeAndre's contract (with a possible raise?) at just the right time. Speed was never his best attribute but based on the eye test last year his separation is diminishing quickly. While I am not ecstatic the return received in the trade I do believe the market for him wasn't nearly as attractive as many in here believe.

If he looks like he's slowing down to me, then other execs see it as well. Couple that with wanting a potential raise for the three remaining years and it doesn't scream getting a haul in return. Not to mention he all but said he was forcing his way out in the SI article. Most rumors are not well kept in the NFL either.

While David Johnson's contract number looks bad, it expires after this season and the Texans had some money to burn this year before Tunsil and Deshaun pay raises kick in.

DeAndre averaged just 77.7 YPG on 10 targets per game, 1165 total receiving yards. 104 catches on 150 targets (69.3 completion %) in 15 games. His YAC was 3.78 YPC. 7 TD. Fuller was active for 11 games. Born 6/6/92 - 27 years old.

Let's compare that to Diggs who the Vikings got more value for in their trade. Contracts as they stand currently are pretty equal with three years remaining.

Diggs averaged 75.3 YPG on 6.27 targets per game, 1130 total receiving yards. 63 catches on 94 targets (67% completion) also in 15 games. His YAC 4.89 YPC. 6 TD. Thielen active for 10 games. Born 11/29/93 - 26 years old.

Comparing side-by-side, Diggs looks like a much more explosive receiver who's 17 plus months younger, who should have probably been targeted a heck of a lot more by Minnesota. Almost same receiving yards last year on 56 less targets than DeAndre. I can see why the more explosive and younger receiver pulled more in a trade.

Flame on lol

#1461 rugg31, Apr 26, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  2. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

If Market isnt attractive, u never sell low. U can wait it out, trading a premier wr entering his prime for a rb whos last great season was in 2016 is just batsht insane no matter how u spin it. U telling me stefon is that much explosive + better than hopkins that hes worth a 1st, 4th, 5th, and 6th round pick?

Also please factor in that Hopkins has BoB calling the offense, its hard to look good with buttchin callin the plays.

3. rugg31

rugg31 Member

Johnson was a throw in. Don’t really consider him as more than BOB taking a flyer on him this season because he had money to spend.

As far as selling low - based on Hopkins wanting out and in my opinion with diminishing speed, they could be selling at the right time.

I think that was an overpay by Buffalo, but I do think in comparing the two projecting forward rather than past production, that Diggs had more trade value. Even with BOB calling plays he had 56 more targets with basically identical production.

I’ll finish with saying - BOB the playcaller/coach I am not a fan. Outside of the Merciless contract I don’t think his GM performance is as bad as people tend to think.

4. rugg31

rugg31 Member

I am a big fan of DeAndre and will be rooting for him in AZ. He's been a lot of fun to watch in Houston. Not going to be easy going into that division.

In a way it's easy to see where BOB's thoughts were after watching that track meet going up and down the field in the playoff game versus KC. After witnessing that he probably values speed and a more diversified receiving corp versus DeAndre's skill set and him being the focus.

Look at what Denver just did in the draft. They play KC twice a year and realized they'll need to try and match their speed and offense.

5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Actually, you are not going to match KC and their offensive speed. You need to match your defense to stop their offense. Which means you need to rush the passer. Outscoring KC is a losing proposition.

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Wait it out....like if they did for Clowney and get maybe a 5th round pick? Clowney's value was not what people here thought it was. He is down to wanting $13 million (from $20 million) and it may go to $10 million. The league pays attention. There was never a 1st or 2nd on the board for Clowney at ANY time. Getting a 3rd and 2 players (1 is a pass rusher that will get better) seems like a very good move now.

7. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Dude stop talking to me. How the fk is a wr in his prime value degrades that dramatically like clowney. Stop trying to paint this hopkins trade as a good thing and we had no choice, its not fooling anyone.

If we waited Hopkins value wont decrease, u just like to assume the worst and presume BoB always make the best moves.

No fking way no one was willing to give up a first for Hopkins. BoB just had a fragile ego and traded Hopkins to the first offer he got to rid himself of hopkins.

8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I will talk to your dumbass all I want. Take your Booty takes somewhere else. Oh....now Clowney is not worth high value...LOL. Something we told you for months. You don't **** about value. You don't **** about football. Hopkins value was gone when he asked for Julio money. Just admit it. You won't because you are no stuck defending a position that has been proven wrong. Keep whining, b****. Have your boyfriend buy u take out to make you feel better.

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Thats an absolutely ridiculous statement.

Letting Clowney ply the season and letting him walk was an infinitely better option that getting nothing

10. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

They got Conley and Jacob Martin for Clownery. Letting him play the season, won't even get Seattle the 3rd rounder now (good chance). His value is dropping like Trump's approval ratings for handling Covid-19.

Diggs had more value because he is younger and wasn't demanding $20 million a year.

11. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Take your mental gynmanstic defense and go fk ofr to someone who cares. Literally not point in trying to reason with bOb dck rider who likes to tell other to leave the team when hes exposed as one.

Hopkins is gonna get paid regardless = HE HAS FKING VALUE. U can delude yourself into thinking that it wasnt a sht trade, but im comfortable knowing that me and majority can see a sht trade when it is one. Keep defending BOb dck until the day u die.

BossHogg713 likes this.
  12. ReliantTexan

ReliantTexan Member

This doesn't really apply when you're talking about a player with 3 years left on his deal, control isn't an issue. Amare had 2 more years on his contract when Dallas traded for him, they had the ability to franchise him sure, but this still didn't give them any more years of team control than the Cardinals have with Hopkins.

Both players are/were going to get new contracts, Hopkins isn't going to sit out with 3 years left on his contract and the Cardinals aren't going to have an issue giving a top 3 wideout a raise, Hopkins isn't going to be stupid enough to not sign because the Cardinals are literally the only team that can pay him for the next three years. The cardinals aren't bidding against anyone but themselves either. Cooper is 2 years younger, but wasn't regarded nearly as high as Hopkins when he was with Oakland, so this should at the very least cancel out that factor.

Players who are among the top of their position also hate making $10 million dollars less than their peers, so I think teams will forgive Hop for this.

13. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Hopkins is a better Receiver than Diggs. PERIOD. 17 months is nothing. The trade was personal with Billy Bob and Anyone who crosses Billy Bob gets shown the door. There's reports that Billy Bob has been trying to trade Hopkins for over a year and a half. Randall Cobb at $18 million guaranteed is silly & an example of just the NFL agents taking advantage of Billy Bob. The last two teams he was on didn't offer near that kind of scratch as they let Cobb walk after a year. As far as washed up backup David Johnson goes, you don't say your trying to save money and give $10 million in a season to a backup RB. They could've pursued a Melvin Gordon for that kind of cash. You just don't burn it. At the end of the day it's Billy Bob's world and no matter how badly the Texans embarrass themselves in big games its his show.

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

This still pisses me off.

Can we win 8-10 games without Hopkins, probably, so we don't need him. That's the BOB mindset, just stay competitive and anything else is gravy. Now overpay Tunsil, and will have to pay Watson (overpay him if Watson is smart)

We've kept some players, replaced our best player with a lesser version, and have no high picks to add talent. How in the everloving f**k can one rationalize this team actually improving over the next few years. All he does is talent shuffle to stay mediocre.

15. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Ravens & Chiefs are MILES better and there are other organizations that are improving. The Texans are devoid of a vision & are running in place. 7-9 to 9-7 is where they'll fall ( which in the AFC South is competitive) & ownership will still throw roses at Billy Bob's feet.

16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Oh look, the desperate attempt to deflect a bad take. Wow, you are sad.

Hopkins has value, just not the 1st round pick value with a $20 million dollar a year contract.

You know...you have no ****ing clue about the NFL. You can keep the insulting me. The fact is you have been WRONG at every turn. BoB will be here. Keep whining like the b**** u are. Again, find another team since you are SO miserable.

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You do realize they won 10 games with Hopkins and got nowhere? Paying $20 million to a WR is not smart. If AZ gets Hopkins to take less, more power to them. However, his demand affected his trade value.

18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Hopkins SIGNED a 5 year extension. He CHOSE the length. His Agent is the one that needs to be fired. They knew a new CBA was close. $14 million a year was he salary this year. Teams don’t forgive and they won’t trade for a WR looking for $20+ million a year and give u a 1st round pick for him. That’s why teams dropped out. The Bills, Eagles, And Ravens were teams interested in Hopkins, until they heard the contract demand. Teams don’t want contract teams unhappy players in their locker rooms because it starts to fester. You remember Dunta Robinson writing “pay me, Rick” on his shoes? It becomes a distraction and teams HATE distractions.

19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Hopkins is a better WR than Diggs, but Diggs at $14 million a year vs Hopkins at $20 Million is a better value. Diggs had 65 yards less than Hopkins this year, with like 40 less catches.

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

This argument may work if the Texans just traded him for a 2nd round pick. If that's all teams are willing to give for him and the Texans feel hes no longer worth the money, then so be it.

What makes BOB a horrible GM though and made this trade indefensible was that they traded him for David Johnson. By all accounts David Johnson is incredibly overpaid and expected to be cut by the Cardinals because no one wants to pay top 5 RB money to a guy who havent produced in 3 years. BOB through this trade took on the entirety of Johnsons contract, did not negotiate, and now have two of the highest paid RBs in the league. They also have one of the most highly paid WR groups in the league. Does anyone here really believe the Texans have one of the best WR and RB situations in the NFL? Because they are basically punting on defense in not acquiring any top FA defenders because all their money is spent on RBs and receivers