1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Texans trade DeAndre Hopkins to Arizona

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Mar 16, 2020.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Because in basketball, stars make all the difference. In the history of the rockets, 3 players have contributed to contention(at least conference final). Moses, Dream, and Harden. We pretty much alienated Harden in his prime, and it will be probably be over a decade before we get another one since no big time free agent will ever come to rockets knowing we are cheap AF and have egomaniac owner. So we will depend on getting lucky in the draft. Oh wait, we don't have any draft picks for a while, so the only the hope is that we are so bad that the protections kick in.

2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

They seem to have a good job in reconstruction of the roster. Whether Harden stay or not, they will some picks and talent. Not being repeater luxury tax range is smart unless u have a team like GS did. The Rockets will be fine.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

How much you want to bet we won't be a contender for at least a decade? How much do you want to bet that we won't crack 50 wins without Harden in the next 5 years?

4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

They will contend this decade...lol. 50 wins, demands on what they get back for Harden (if he is traded).

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

That's a funny way of saying "totally kissed his ass and gave him everything he wanted".

Rockets34Legend and desihooper like this.
  6. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

It can never be said enough BOB traded a future HOF WR for a RB that led the team to the worst rushing offense in the league.

7. blackistan

blackistan Member

Will go down as the worst trade in history unfortunately for us

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

A guy that Arizona was going to cut and was surprised when BoB was asking for him in a trade.

JamesC and TEXNIFICENT like this.
  9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

After having the 9th best rushing offense last year and letting your 1,000 yard rusher walk.

Carlos Hyde @ $2.75 Million, or
    David Johnson @ $12.3 Million and no Deandre Hopkins

Hmmmm, really tough decision there.

10. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

They didn’t build a champion. They never got a second star here in their prime. Dwight came post back surgery. CP3 had a ton of miles, injury history and as much baggage as Harden. And when it mattered most CP3 grabbed his hamstring and had to “coach “ from the sideline. He did that a lot here. And that Westbrook ( can’t shoot) small ball crap was just dumb. It was as dumb as the Hopkins trade. You can’t make the team old, small and slow ( with a 6-5 center who’s 35 and can’t dunk) and expect to win the title. Harden or no Harden, the Rockets management didn’t get it done and they haven’t won a title in 25 years.

Damion Laverne likes this.
  11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

lol

12. Buck Turgidson

Wrong thread, wrong forum, hell...wrong damn sport.

arkoe likes this.
  13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Lol, I don’t care that he had bad practice habits, OB was an idiot.

But he looks so douchey right there.

Uprising likes this.
  15. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Hop gonna be a problem when his production fades.... That's when those " yes" men in the FO, he's used to, gonna be saying "hell naw"...

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/12/24/gameplan-annual-future-general-manager-list

Does practice really matter?

I picked this question mostly because I found the rant we saw from DeAndre Hopkins—who’s normally fairly quiet with the media—this week to be a fascinating window into his past, and where he goes from here.

The backdrop is, per the accounting of reporters covering the team, Hopkins has missed 18 of the Cardinals’ 41 practices this season. He’s missed 13 Wednesdays (Wednesday’s generally the heaviest practice day), and 10 of those were marked by the team as veteran’s days off. Yet, he’s got 103 catches for 1,324 yards (second and first in the NFL, respectively) and six touchdowns, and is tracking to be first-team All-Pro for the fourth straight year.

Which is probably why being asked about how he and the team manage his weekly workload struck a nerve when he was asked about it.

“Yeah, man, I’ve heard a lot of a lot of negativity about me not practicing when I first came to Arizona,” he told reporters. “I don’t watch the Arizona local news and channels and the sports station. But my grandfather, he’s an avid listener to everything, every single one. I think, if one of you guys say something bad about me, my grandfather, he’s told me. So, I’ve seen all the blogs and all this stuff, I’m pretty sure some of you guys might have been in there egging it on.

“I’m not gonna say any names, but there’s a reason that I play football and they watch. And people are in positions for a reason. So, I really didn’t listen to it. I don’t listen to it. I listen to my grandfather, and he was saying, ‘Man, Arizona, they really kind of on you right now because you’re not practicing and all the critics in the sports people.’ But, my grandfather knows who I am, also, and he knows how productive I am on that football field.

“And he knew what I was going through, and the people who are giving me stuff, they don’t know what I was going through or dealing with, and I don’t let my news, or really what’s going on with me, be publicized for the future. … And tell those people who say I don’t practice to come watch me play the game.”

First of all, that’s a pretty good line.

Second, the reason this touched off that rant, I’d suspect, is because the origins of the narrative aren’t in Arizona. They’re in Houston. Part of the reason why Hopkins was traded was because of the work that EVP of football operations Jack Easterby did with then coach Bill O’Brien to examine the entire outfit from a culture standpoint. And a big part of that was how they wanted the team to practice and to work.

Hopkins’s practice schedule in Houston had been similar to his practice schedule in Arizona, and that wasn’t changing—which was part of why some in the Texans’ organization felt like Hopkins was operating outside of the team. Which would’ve been manageable, if Hopkins wasn’t asking for a big raise with three years left on his deal. Which led to the thought on how hard it would be to sell a revised culture, while then going out of their way to reward their best player while exempting him from it.

You know the rest. The Texans dealt Hopkins as a result, didn’t get great value for him, then the team got off to a horrible start, tensions rose through that start, and O’Brien was fired.

So if you’re wondering why Hopkins got so worked up, my guess is that that answer is right there for you. And on the surface, there’s logic to what Easterby and O’Brien were trying to do, particularly based on the program they both came from (New England).

But pro football is a results business. And the Cardinals reasoned, in this case, that accommodating and paying Hopkins would be worth the freight, given the level he’s produced at in the pros. Thus far, their gamble has paid off handsomely.

Which is to say if Hopkins wants to go Allen Iverson on people, he’s earned the right.

17. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Stars get special "Star Treatment " in professional sports as long as they produce at a star level. Now in the NFL, if you're a pain in the ass, the millisecond that you DON'T produce at a star level you're GONE. They are not going to pay or put up with it. For now Hopkins is producing at a star level.

red5rocket likes this.
  18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

For all the drama and b****ing about this trade, Hopkins ends up where the Texans will be January...at Home, watching the playoffs from his couch.

Thats why u don’t pay a WR $22 million.

And No.... u make Hopkins play out his deal.

#2298 Mr.Scarface, Dec 26, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
    Uprising likes this.
  19. Texanstradamus

no it’s the compensation they could have gotten a 1st this up coming draft idc about the trade it’s what we got back O’Brien didn’t know what he was doing he thought being a GM was easy and he not even good at his own title

20. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

That's comforting.

Still trying to low key defend this POS trade...SMH.

red5rocket likes this.