1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans to hire Bobby Slowik as OC

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by hlmbasketball, Feb 12, 2023.

1. Damion Laverne

Texans have a strange obsession of prioritizing the run while devaluing the individual running back. If the O-Line can't run block properly, we at least need a RB that can be a game-changer. Can't have bad blocking AND nothing-special RBs

2. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I know they want to have a running offense. But they need to throw some wrinkles every once in a while, these numbers look eerily close to BOB.

3. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

The OC didn’t have his A game last week. I think he’ll be more aggressive after his film study. These guys are some good young coaches.

clos4life, ipaman, Rudyc281 and 5 others like this.
  4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm sure Slowik learned a lot from Kyle Shanahan, but Kyle has always wielded a very heavy hand on the 49ers offense. Mike McDaniel is probably the only guy he really trusted to act as a legit OC.

I have full confidence Slowik will make mistakes this year and learn from them. He's a sharp guy.

Rudyc281 and Shark44 like this.
  5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, right now I'd hate to see us rushing more than we already do with Pierce. He is tied for 6th in the league for rushing attempts with 84.

Out of the 30 players with 50 or more rushing attempts he ranks #28 with 2.94 yds per carry.

The 11 guys who have rushed for 70 or more attempts excluding Pierce average 4.47 YDS per carry.

Shark44 likes this.
  6. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I really wanted Devon Achane in the draft to pair with Pierce.. I think we could have gotten him and Dell and not Juice Scruggs.

But then again maybe Scruggs will be more of an impact on the run game than Achane would behind this line.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  7. Qan

Qan Member

Really wanted Achane since I watched him at A&M. Oh well, look like we missed out on a special RB. Having Scruggs healthy will allow Patterson to move to LG and Howard back to RT.

8. Strobro235

Strobro235 New Member

I know one player don't make a difference especially a rookie but we missed Tank that second half. Offense did it's part at the end just needed that d-line pressure at the end.

Rudyc281 and deb4rockets like this.
  9. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

10. conquistador#11

We're almost there ! :hides:

[​IMG]

whag00 and HeyBudLetsParty like this.
  11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Bad take imo. Play looks like design right and if DP follows the rear end of #77 Fant and #12 Collins with aggression he could power forward for 3-4 yards. Even better he might be able to bounce outside for a big gain. DP needs to be better.

raining threes, Qan and Colt45 like this.
  12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Juice cannot be evaluated until he plays and then give him a few games to settle in.

raining threes likes this.
  13. raining threes

Yep, looks like he could have gotten a yd it he had stayed behind Mason,Fant.

14. raining threes

Yep, looks like he could have gotten a yd it he had stayed behind Mason,Fant.
    I really wanted Achane too. He's a home run hitter this team is missing. With that said, I totally get the Scruggs pick.

15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

He was one of about ten I wanted where we had one pick.

16. raining threes

He was the guy I wanted the most.

Question if you could get another chance, would you trade a 2024 2nd for the opportunity to trade into the 3rd for Achane?

17. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

If we've learned anything from the Astros, it's that we need both stars AND depth. Both are improved, but not finished projects.If we can go from bottom 2 to middle of the pack in one year. I'm good with this. Maybe we manage a division title, but maybe not. We're still building.

houstonstime likes this.
  18. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I was hoping for a Center, so I guess we got what I wanted. I honestly expected Achane would be taken between our 2nd and 3rd round picks. I wanted almost everyone in the late second round.

raining threes likes this.
  19. raining threes

Sad thing is they missed out on a chance to bring a local guy home. BTW, there's not a player in the 2024 draft as dynamic as Achane is.

If I was Ryans, Caserio I would sign Keaton Mitchell off of the Ravens PS. This guy's dynamic.

20. conquistador#11

Just what I wanted to hear:

red5rocket likes this.