1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans to hire Bobby Slowik as OC

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by hlmbasketball, Feb 12, 2023.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. I would love to see them pick up the best WR available in FA. I'd also love to get the best TE available. I'd also love the best cornerback available, to give us better pass defense. I'd love to pick up a defensive stud who is a sack attack. The problem I find, is that as much as I want all the most exciting players, we will have to pick one star or settle for a couple free agents who help us some, but aren't the best available.

Maybe we need to get the best offensive lineman available to give us a better front of protection for CJ and to be better at making holes for our running backs.
    I hate that we still need a much better offensive lineman to replace someone though, but it sure seems necessary. Offensive linemen aren't near as exciting, but I just think it will open up our offensive game more, help our rushing game, especially in the red zone, and give our wide receivers more time to run the deeper routes.

red5rocket and raining threes like this.
  2. raining threes

I'm for using FA to fix the defense and the draft to fix the offense. There aren't going to be any WR's/TE's in FA that will be as good as what you can get in the draft.

I'm hoping for a Detroit type draft of

LaPorta
    Gibbs
    And last years Jameson Williams

Playmakers

red5rocket and deb4rockets like this.
  3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[
    I can't see us getting some rookie offensive lineman that will make near as much impact as a veteran FA though, unless the only free agents are not any better than what we have. I just wonder if we could get a great defensive player too with our salary cap space. I agree that drafting a really good WR or tight end is probably smarter for the draft though.

raining threes likes this.
  4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

For sure I agree with all you guys who said that we have played rooks probably the most in the NFL. Just mentioned it because I assumed the same that we were a young squad and with that came certain pitfalls, and when I checked it out I was surprised we were so "old". Not even middle of the pack, but like 3rd oldest. Vets are great for helping youngsters establish good practice habits and expectations. This team will be better because of the environment it creates.

david_rocket and raining threes like this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Seriously???

Rocket River

BigShasta, conquistador#11 and Fiah like this.
  7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

This is the downside of CJ being so good- he's making slowik look better than he is and we have to search for another oc. The upside is CJ seems to be so good and will have a full year under his belt in the NFL and it won't matter who the oc is.

DreamShook and Two Sandwiches like this.
  8. Qan

Qan Member

I'm not afraid of Slowik leaving. I was earlier in the season, but not anymore. He'll come back 1 more season, like Ben Johnson, and see if he can help this team take a further step forward next year.

texans1095 likes this.
  9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

If I am Nick/McNairs.

I would 100% give Slowik the bag to stay another year.

I would really like Jerrod Johnson to learn under Slowik for 1 more year.

raining threes and BigShasta like this.
  10. Champs

Champs Member

Pay Slowik Head Coaching money to keep him for 2 more.

11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Wouldn't be surprised if the 49'ers did that for Meco and if the Lions did that for Ben Johnson.

12. texans1095

texans1095 Member

I'm guessing he'll get his fair share of HC interviews this offseason. But I'd guess he'll hear a decent amount of constructive feedback regarding his lack of executive/decision making experience. Sort of like when draft prospects put their name out there to see what pro scouts think about them and what draft grade they'd have, I think he'll see that one more year as OC would be really beneficial for him. There's also no reason for him to take a HC job just for the sake of it if he doesn't feel like it would be an ideal situation.

Off the top of my head, these are the teams that will surely have or I can see having a HC vacancy...

Raiders
    Bears
    Chargers (Staley could definitely be gone if they miss the playoffs)
    Falcons (Arthur Smith seems intent on doing everything he can to force his way out of ATL)
    Commanders, Giants, Saints, Patriots all seem a little less likely, but it wouldn't be shocking if any of those jobs open up.

Out of all the above, I'm not sure any is more attractive than the Chargers. And they actually could really use an offensive guru like Slowik. But they already have Kellen Moore there in his first year as OC so I'm not sure how that would influence things.

Anyway, it's too early to start speculating on specifics, but I think odds are he'll get a significant raise to get him to stick around another year. I'd be shocked if he's here after the 2024 season though.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. Champs

Champs Member

This guy will be tough to replace.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Remember how our OL wasn't even supposed to be a strength? And then they all ended up hurt anyway?

We all thought we were going to have to peel CJ off the turf every afternoon.

This turnaround is unheard of.

16. CKent

CKent Member

If you wind up with one of the top two picks how do you not make a run at this guy? Those teams are going to be in the same spot we were with a talented rookie QB and questionable protection and weapons. Obviously CJ is proving to be an extraordinary rookie but those teams are going to crave a similar turnaround.

17. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I think y’all are crazy thinking he’s gone after this year. At best he’s Ben Johnson, who stayed because it was his first year as an OC. He’s doing great things, but also has some learning. He was what, a QB coach last year? I think we have at least one more year with him guaranteed. Then I’ll worry.

red5rocket likes this.
  18. Jay713

Jay713 Member

Screw it, CJ can call his own plays if Slowik leaves

19. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

and serve the popcorn

20. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I will say, this is the first time I think I’ve ever felt, especially with the talent level we have, that we have an amazing scheme. Like every time Mahomes drops back, you just know a wr is going to be wide open somewhere, it doesn’t look long-winded or tedious to make easy passes. The scheme and play calls have been eye-opening that players are actually open like you see on other offenses and never ours. Refreshing.

Red.Glare and raining threes like this.