1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans Tailgating Policy Change

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by marks0223, Sep 30, 2010.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I still say it's an overly reactionary step to take to the Cowboys game.

If parking is such a problem, then hey, don't oversell the lots, eh?

2. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Frankly...if the Texans ARE doing it for the money (which i dont agree with but ill play devils advocate)......if they are, they are well within their rights to do so. Tailgating and taking up parking spots is similar to walkng into a sports bar and watching games all day but ordering water and chips and salsa.

They have every right to charge whatever they want to allow people to set up shop on their property

3. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

It's been an issue before, just not as big of an issue... and not plastered on Youtube.

4. NJRocket

that problem may cure itself bc no one is going to buy a parking pass anymore unless they have tickets

5. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

It's not exactly "curing itself" if a new policy is being implemented.

To me, this represents the beginning of a divorce between the city of Houston and the Texans organization.

Probably reminds some old timers of Bud Adams...

6. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Absolutely they have the right.

Doesn't mean it's a good idea though.

Seems like they're making a year-round policy for something that happens once a decade.

7. NJRocket

i think thats a bit harsh.....i think it represents that the Texans are actually showing some loyalty and listening to the people who buy season tickets and who make it possible for them to stay in existance.

8. NJRocket

the parking issues are there, and have been there, for many years (at least the 6 yrs i have been attending games)

9. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

There has to be a better way to accommodate ticket holders than this.

There just has to.

10. NJRocket

maybe so...but i think they owe it to the season ticket holders to try this and see if it solves the problem

only other thing i can think of it to limit the tailgating to ONE lot...period. This way, if u are like me, you dont buy a pass for that lot bc u know parking is gonna be an issue. If u are gonna tailgate, THATS where u buy a pass

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I can really see both sides of this issue.

On one hand, you would think the team would want the whole city there supporting the team whether they have tickets or not. It adds to the overall atmosphere of game day.

On the other hand, I can see why the season ticket holders (the teams's bread and butter) complained about it. Why should they not be able to park when a bunch of people who aren't even going to the game are taking up 3 or 4 spots apiece?

I think there has to be some middle ground. I like NJRocket's idea of having a "tailgate only" lot.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Wasn't it that way, initially?

I thought the blue lot was the only one you could tailgate in originally.

13. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Can we just go ahead and blame the Mexicans already?

I'm reading some FB status thingies, and it all says "Oh oh, no more Tailgating for us???"

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You know what will really be funny? When after the next big game with traffic, fights, Porto-potty lines the Texans will really drop the McClain bomb....

No Alcohol in the parking lot

15. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I'm guessing if the dude in that video who got knocked out was by a fan who didn't have a ticket to the game there could be a lawsuit against the Texans. As long as the one who was knocked out had a ticket.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I still maintain that it all comes back to the cheerleader outfits.

Dress 'em up like strippers like the rest of the league does and everything else is cream cheese.

17. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Totally with you on that. More cleavage please, and booty shaking. And school girl outfits.

18. NJRocket

thats how i always understood the rule as well...and thats why i bought one blue pass and one red....use one when im tailgating and one when im not

19. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's a city facility tht has been there many years before the Texans even arrived. It sucks that that we foot the bill for this parking lot and continue with its improvements and infrastructure only to be excluded because we are not priveleged to be there. A bad seed ruins it for everyone else.

20. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

It's just dumb to go hang out in a parking lot at a sporting event you aren't even attending. Do those of you without rockets tickets go park out at toyota center??? I don't see the appeal of sitting out in 90 degree heat watching the game on tv when I can do the same thing in the comfortable a/c of my house. There are a lot of season ticket holders that have complained that there is no place to park when they arrive at the stadium because of all the tailgaters who aren't buying multiple spaces but are taking 2 and 3 spaces with all their rigs.

The texans are going to take care of season ticket holders because thats who keep them in business.