1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans Tailgating Policy Change

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by marks0223, Sep 30, 2010.

1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I have not read through the thread and have never tailgated, but isn't the point of tailgating NOT to go into the game? If you are paying for tickets in the stadium, who is gonna be tailgating outside? Won't this eliminate pretty much all tailgating?

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

see i thought tailgating was supposed to be a pre-game ritual....perhaps a post-game too...i never knew that people were gonna show up to the stadium, with all that traffic, and NOT go in to watch the game.

3. weskurtz81

weskurtz81 Member

Pretty much this, I always thought it was something that was supposed to take place before and after the game, and that we were supposed to support the team inside the stadium during the game.

4. MadMax

selfishly, this benefits me. the only time i'm showing up in that parking lot is if i have a ticket to get into the stadium. less folks in that parking lot...with as congested as it gets...sounds good to me. we drove in circles around the blue lot during the Indy game, missing about half of the first quarter because of it...trying to find a parking space.

5. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

i can feel ur pain if u are a die hard tailgater....i would be pissed too

but, im not a big tailgater...i maybe do it once or twice a year and i go to a friends tailgate that is one of those budweiser things in the front of the blue lot...we dont cook out ourselves.....however, even when i DO tailgate, its annoying that i have a parking pass and can drive around the red lot for 30 minutes and there are 100's of spots taken by tents and trailers etc. There is an issue that affects people like me...and apparently there are a lot of people like me bc they changed the policy midseason. It sucks for guys who ONLY bought parking passes directly from the Texans...im surprised they havent addressed that sector of people.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Bingo!

Unfortunately though tailgating like this is hurt by the fact that the Texans play so many noon start games. If they played more 3 pm games it would be better.

7. justtxyank

That's ridiculous. I doubt the Texans go around searching for drastic changes they can make in order to grab 100k or so. The "cash grab" aspect of it is stupid. The money they'll make off this is a drop in the bucket.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This is why I was so confused at the beginning of the thread. I couldn't figure out what people were complaining about.

I go to 1 or 2 games a year and I have a buddy who tailgates so we will pay him some $$ during the week and just meet him there. We get there at about 9, eat and drink (more like chug) until about 11:30, then start walking to the stadium for the game.

I naively thought this is what 95% of the other tailgaters did. I honestly didn't realize there were so many people who don't even go inside to the game, but apparently I was wrong. Not really my cup of tea, but I guess I can understand why some people do it that way.

9. NJRocket

i dont think its a money grab because ultimately, the Texans arent going to sell as many parking passes. I would think its safe to say that there are at least 2000 parking passes that are used each week by people without a ticket....and a lot of those lots cost 20 dollars or more (some are less?).....so now, they are limiting those "parking only' passes and charging 10 $ each

i think it has a lot more to do w congestion but the fights last week gave them an easy out as well

10. justtxyank

I don't get it really. Why don't you just get your boys together at your house and have a bbq?

11. MadMax

"Wang, it's a parking lot! Come on!"

[​IMG]

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

So no one saw the football rolling around in the middle of the fight? I would have been all over it, gotta protect the football!! :grin:

13. NJRocket

i dont get it either....i mean during early season games like we have had thus far, its brutally hot outside....id much rather be home on my couch or in a sports bar

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

4 people in a car that parks in the 20 dollar lot.... 5 bucks per person.

4 people in a car that parks whereever under the new policy... 10 bucks per person.

Money grab.

Not to mention the money they'll save on resources, time, energy, etc.

15. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Think of how many more parking spots can be available if they TEAR DOWN THAT FREAKIN' ASTRODOME.

Edit: That camera dude found humor amidst that violence, kept laughing. Made me laugh with him.

#95 v3.0, Oct 1, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

So why are they doing it then?

Was the Cowboys game really THAT bad?

It's a once in every 8 years thing.

If it was that bad of an atmosphere, or stretched their resources too far, then hire more people once every 8 years... or institute this policy ONLY for that game.

17. spence99

spence99 Member

The part of this that really scares me is the line to get into the parking lot. They are already slow when you just have to show a parking pass. It's going to take forever to get into the game now. For all those who are glad they won't have to drive around looking for a spot as long, well all that time will have been burned up waiting in line to get into the parking lot.

18. NJRocket

but there are only 2000 passes available under the new policy....right now, there are probably more people w parking only passes

i dont think they are making a lot of money but u may be right, they make some...but i think the issue is congestion and parking spaces....they changed the policy bc enuf people complained about there being no parking spots (i know bc i complained a couple of times)

19. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

Buy a ticket or go to a sports bar. Texans got this one right.

Though I do agree with the idea of a limited number of 10$ tailgate tickets.

20. Major

Major Member

I don't know about Texans games, but for UT games (and lots of college football games), thousands of people tailgate and set up TVs and watch the games, etc. I guess it's the same logic of going to a sports bar instead of watching at home - it's an opportunity to go out and experience the atmosphere of a crowd without the cost of buying a ticket.