1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans, Smith have eye on Kolb.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ryan17wagner, Feb 23, 2007.

1. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

INDIANAPOLIS - The scouting combine is supposed to be Kevin Kolb's coming-out party.

Unlike some quarterbacks, Kolb is going to participate in every drill at the RCA Dome on Sunday because he wants to show representatives of every NFL team that he has the arm, athleticism and intelligence that are necessary to make the jump from the University of Houston.

"I don't know why you wouldn't want to throw here," Kolb said. "I mean, you've got every head coach and general manager in the league watching you. It might not be the ideal situation, because you're not working with your receivers, but that's what your pro day's for.

"I'm very confident in my ability, and I think this is a chance to prove what I'm capable of doing. I'm really looking forward to this experience. I'm not nervous. I look at it as an honor to be here and be able to work out for NFL teams and to meet with so many of them."

By the time Kolb returns to Houston and resumes workouts and continues taking classes at UH, he will have answered a hundred variations of the same question: Is he a product of coach Art Briles' system, or is he a legitimate NFL prospect capable of becoming a productive starter?

"He's got all the tools you want," Texans general manager Rick Smith said Thursday. "But I think people want to see him take snaps from under center, drop back and go through his reads."

At the combine, each team can interview a maximum of 60 players.

"Oh yeah," Smith said. "He's on our list."

At some point after the first round, the Texans are expected to draft a quarterback. The top two are JaMarcus Russell and Brady Quinn, and the competition to be No. 3 is wide open. The third quarterback could sneak into the first round.

"I think Kolb's going in the second round," said C.O. Brocato, the Tennessee Titans' national coordinator of college scouting. "I've watched a lot of his games, and I've liked him for quite a while.

"Some wonder if he's a product of their system, but I don't think he is. Kevin Kolb's a player. He's got everything you want. Not only does he have the big arm, but he can take something off the ball when he has to. And he's accurate."

A common theme among scouts surveyed was Kolb's ability to make teammates better.

"That kid's a hell of a leader," Brocato said. "Art Briles gave him a lot of responsibility, and he handled it and got better every season."

One piece in a logjam
    After Russell and Quinn, Kolb is in a QB logjam with prospects like Drew Stanton, Troy Smith, Trent Edwards, Jordan Palmer, John Beck, Chris Leak, Tyler Palko, Jeff Rowe, Isaiah Stanback and Paul Thompson.

"First of all, Kolb's prototypical — 6-3, 220, with a strong arm and good mobility," said Jeff Ireland, the Dallas Cowboys' vice president of pro and college scouting. "He's tough physically and mentally.

"I think what he needs to do the most here is to explain to everybody what he was required to do in Houston's system. I think once people realize how much they challenged him, they're really going to be impressed with what he did."

While Briles' system isn't radical, it is different. It's not a pro-style system. The Cougars don't have a lot of plays — just a lot of options that put great responsibility on the quarterback to make the right decisions.

"There were so many options built into each play, and once Kevin explains exactly what he was supposed to do, they're going to be impressed," said Jerry Rhome, who has been working with Kolb at UH. "He's going to put it in NFL terminology when he's being interviewed, and they're going to go, 'Wow.'

"You have to be very intelligent to do what Kevin was asked to do in that system. ... Now he's got to let the NFL know what he did."

After the Cougars' season ended, Kolb signed with Houston's Select Sports Group. Agent Jeff Nalley hired Rhome, who tutored Vince Young last year, to prepare Kolb for the draft. Rhome spent 33 years in the NFL as a quarterback, quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator.

Won't stop working
    "One of the things that's impressed me so much about Kevin is how bad he wants it," Rhome said. "By that, I mean how hard he works, how much time he puts into it, how much he loves the game and everything that's required to be successful at the next level. He never misses a workout or a film session.

"Shoot, he didn't even go on his honeymoon so he could get back to Houston to work out."

Kevin and Whitney Kolb, his high school sweetheart who's an elementary school teacher, were married two weeks ago. The day after they were married, they drove from Stephenville back to Houston so he wouldn't miss a workout.

"We're going to take a honeymoon, but we're going to wait until after the draft," Kolb said.

By then, he should be able to afford a much nicer trip.

john.mcclain@chron.com

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4575249.html

2. updawg

updawg Member

What? :confused: :D

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...

[​IMG]

4. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

There is about a 10-20% chance the Texans draft Kolb.

They like him but where will they put him? If it is a second round prospect he should be there. If it's a third rounder he might not be there. Also the wild card is the fact that the Texans would need to rate him ahead of Smith/Palmer/Leak/Beck etc. etc.

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Speaking of the combine, I just heard that Justin Blalock (OG from UT) benched 225lbs. 40 times!! Mario did 35 reps IIRC.

As for Kolb, I would love to pick this kid up in the 3rd round.

#5 gucci888, Feb 23, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  6. Anticope

Anticope Member

Kolb or Stanton would be a solid pickup in the 3rd round, but did they seriously mention Paul Thompson as one of the top QB prospects?!

7. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Does that mean the Texans will trade up to #1 to get him only to have him spend the season "injured?"

:(

8. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Texans have Kolb rated higher than Carr.....

9. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

10. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

He may end up sliding into the late 1st round. At any rate, I don't see them blowing a 2nd round pick on a QB because they will be looking at a DE/DT/S and I feel there's no chance of him lasting until the 3rd round.

11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I disagree. I think many teams are going to focus on whether or not he is a system QB and it might scare some teams, especially when guys like Troy Smith and Drew Stanton could probably be had in the 2nd.

But you never know how much a good showing at the combine can help you out. I think there is a decent chance he lasts until the 3rd, that's where most have him projected.

12. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I wouldnt sleep on the Texans taking Quinn at #8. If he is there at #8 then you gotta be tempted to take him. Plummer is 34 and is an upgrade over Carr but not by much. If Peterson is off the board then Quinn should be the second option.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I agree. I see that as a real possibility.

I'd be shocked if the Texans used their 2nd round pick (as it stands now) on Kolb.

14. Howyalikemenow

Perfect pick setup...

1st Round: #8 Peterson
    2nd Round: Kevin Kolb (probably have to move up a couple in second round)

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

the texans are going to take peterson or brown with their #1.

#2 & #3 will be determined by who is the highest rated player left on their overall board out of the QB and Safety categories.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

p.s. shock em texans

[​IMG]

17. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Peterson won't last until #8. Personally, I expect them to try to trade down and pick up another 3rd round pick.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

never say never.

"leinart wont make it past the top 5" was the song last year.. errr... yeeeeahhhhrrrgh.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I like Drew Stanton. wouldn't mind kolb either, but i think stanton has some untapped potential.

20. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Now that Cleveland has the 3rd pick, I really hope they take Calvin Johnson. Then AP could fall to us..