1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans signing Roosevelt Colvin today (6/16)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rocketabc, Jun 16, 2008.

1. rocketabc

rocketabc Contributing Member

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

we kept him away from the colts which is good.

3. rocketabc

rocketabc Contributing Member

Good chance Freeney and Bob Sanders start the season on the Colts' PUP list, as well. It's VERY good the Texans kept him away from Indy. Remember, Colvin is also from that area, but he felt the Texans' situation was better suited to him.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Good signing the for Texans. Considering he's from Indy, I wonder why he didn't sign with the Colts.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Great signing. One thing they've never really had is a good situational pass rusher. Antwon Peek could have been...if he wasn't offsides on every stinking play.

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Doesn't sound like Colvin will start but will play opposite Mario. Great pickup if he can stay healthy, with Mario/Colvin getting pressure from the outside and Amobi/TJ/Okam coming from the middle, the Texans have a chance of putting a lot of pressure on opposing QBs.

7. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

Nice addition Texans. That guy used to be a beast. Pray he still has it in him.

8. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

I hope Colvin can still play the SLB (he was a 4-3 WLB IIRC up in Chi-town) position in the 4-3. I rather have him there on run downs and move to edge rush position on pass downs. I don't think necessary that Kalu is gone IMO with this signing. I think maybe one of the DTs get the axe (Zgonina (sp)) and probably have Weaver be a backup at the DT spot to keep Kalu.

I really like this signing (hopefully the terms are reasonable) and we finally have a proven pass rusher opposite MariOkoye combo. We now have another leader in the locker room, has won 2 super bowls, a playmaker on defense. I might go out on the limb but this signing could put us in the playoffs now plus a better rushing attack from Green/Brown/Slaton/Taylor/Walker combo.

9. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

I'm actually going to be excited to watch our defense play...this is great! :cool:

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

3 years ago Colvin was the -best- player on the Patriots defense.

I hope he's still that good.

11. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Not a bad signing...let's hope he pays dividends sooner and stays healthy...

12. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Very good signing! Playing on that line with what he has left Colvin will help the Texans evolve into a Championship level defensive team that controls games while also wreaking havoc with lots of turnovers.

#12 Plowman, Jun 16, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  13. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I love the signing. Finally someone who is going to help Mario, Demeco, and Okoye pressure the QB.

14. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope he is better than Kalu. I have become a big fan of ND Kalu since he has been on the team. It seems like when he is in the game, good things happen for the defense. He is very disruptive. But if Colvin can more consistently get pressure on the QB in passing downs...well, that might help erase some of those memories of our secondary getting burned on 3rd down and long situations last year.

15. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I can't believe there will finally be some pressure from our D-Line and no more smell of burnt toast in the secondary! :D

16. RAYRAY

RAYRAY Member

Great signing!! I know the Texans pursued him when he left the Bears. He won't start at the beginning of the season but I think as the season progresses he might be moved to play a LB position or possibly move in to play opposite Mario. Who knowns maybe this will get Weaver to live up to his contract...

Good video of Colvin on the Texans site. Apparently he has a lot of family in the area...

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Great news.

Football season cant come soon enough.

18. tulexan

tulexan Member

That sounds like what will happen too. If Colvin is starting opposite of Weaver, then he will be starting over Mario.

19. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Supposedly Tim Buhlman has been the most improved player during training camp and OTAs. He's a DT who lost about 30 lbs to play DE and from what I've read/heard, it sounds like he'd be starting at DE should the season begin today (Weaver would probably move inside).

20. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Completely agree, I really can't wait till the season.

EDIT: CRAP! I forgot I'm moving to Tyler. Most likely the Cowgirls will be on the tv. :(