1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans Sign Six Free Agents...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rrj_gamz, Mar 25, 2003.

1. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Texans sign six free agents
    March 24, 2003

HOUSTON – The Houston Texans signed six free agents Monday, including four of their own exclusive rights free agents.

The Texans signed free agent offensive lineman Todd Washington, who played both center and guard for the reigning Super Bowl champion Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Washington (6-3, 310) played in all 16 games last season, starting two (1 LG, 1 RG). He has played in 51 career games with three starts over five seasons, plus seven playoff games.

Houston also inked former Minnesota Vikings linebacker Antonio Wilson. Wilson (6-2, 244), entering his fourth NFL season, played in five games with one start for Minnesota in 2002. He has 14 career tackles and 11 special teams stops. Wilson is from Dallas and played at Texas A&M-Commerce.

The Texans also re-signed defensive end Jerry Deloach, tight end/long snapper Sean McDermott, wide receiver Frank Murphy and defensive tackle Howard Green. Deloach (6-2, 315) started all 16 games for the Texans in 2002, registering a career-high 103 tackles. McDermott (6-4, 250) handled Houston’s snapping duties in all 16 games. Murphy (6-0, 206) played in five games last season, primarily on special teams. Green (6-2, 331) was inactive for the final two games of 2002 after spending time on Houston’s practice squad.

I like this...What do you think the O-Line will look like...

2. JamesC

JamesC Member

I'm glad that they've been able to upgrade the O-line through free agency. Its looking more like they might use their #3 pick on a playmaker whether its on offense or defense.

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So are any of these guys actually good, or is this just the Texans signing all the leftover scrubs since they missed out on some of the bigger name guys?

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

they're being brought in to supply (much needed) depth, not carry the team to the super bowl.

5. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

So the answer to my question is "No"? I think it is pretty obvious they are not being brought in to carry us to the superbowl. In the future, you can go ahead and assume I know that. I was kind of hoping for more of a post listing which of these free agents are worth a crap and which are not. How many will likely make the team?

6. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

No no...

These are the scrubs...

Texans re-sign Dawson, Lorenti
    March 25, 2003

HOUSTON – The Houston Texans signed restricted free agent wide receiver JaJuan Dawson and exclusive rights free agent center Chris Lorenti Tuesday.

Dawson (6-1, 197) played in 14 games for the Texans last season, catching 21 passes for a career-high 286 yards. He has 52 career receptions for 664 yards and two touchdowns over three seasons. Lorenti spent last season on injured reserve with an ankle injury.

Washington and DeLoach are good ones, as is Sean...I don't know much about the former Viking, but...

7. Hey Now!

and yet, for some reason, you felt compelled to link these signings to us missing out on the bigger names, when the two ideas really had nothing at all to do with one another.

fact is, these guys would've likely been brought in even if we hadn't missed out on the big names. the team needs quanity as much as it needs quality, at this stage.

as for the players -- they are what they are: quanity.

8. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I know you didn't outright say this, but I feel like everyone that's been "complaining" about us "missing out" on bigger name free agents is missing the point:

In no way, shape, or form is David Carr or the rest of the team ready for a SuperBowl. Even if the expansion draft consisted of only all-pro's and we had an all-star team, I would predict us making the SuperBowl in our third year at the EARLIEST. This is only because continuity is an important, underrated attribute that good teams have. An offensive line, defensive line, secondary,.... basically every unit on the field must develop a raport with eachother that takes more than one season.

Most teams go into free agency with their core players having spent at least 2 - 3 seasons together already so a Boston, Davis, Spikes would put them over the top. Players of that caliber will have their talent wasted on this team for a couple of years and could potentially be past their prime when the rest of our team is ready to compete.

I personally think that Casserly is doing a FANTASTIC job. I lamented us "losing out" on Davis and Turley, but I just have to keep reminding myself, with a team this young, you watch for improvements.... not wins. These aren't exactly young players we're missing out on, and if you think that Turley and Davis are once in a lifetime players, you're vastly overrating them.

I say, add a franchise running back to this team next year, build through the drafts, and spend the big bucks when we're on the cusp of greatness, not sooner.

9. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

I didn't feel compelled to link them at all. You say they had nothing to do with each other. That was part of the answer to my question. I wanted to know if anyone thought this was us trying to make it look like we were doing something. You answered that. Thank you. I understand we need depth. I understand that this team doesn't[ need to be signing big name free agents to huge contracts willy nilly before our second season. I even understand that there is likely a huge contingent of fans that don't understand all that.

What I wanted to know was whether or not any of these players are any good, and if they weren't, if it was possible we were signing them to make it look as if the offseason was more productive than it actually was. I made no insinuation of what I thought of the Texans offseason or whom I thought they should sign. Honestly, I don't follow football enough to have any idea what is in the Texans best interest...which is why I asked the question in my first post. Please don't start assuming I am making any kind of criticism of what is going on when I really am not.

Here's to hoping some of these signings are diamonds in the rough.

10. dc sports

dc sports Member

Are they any good? I don't know. They are depth guys -- and obviously not superstars.

Are the Texans trying to make it look like they are being productive? No. At this time of year, all teams sign a bunch of 'fringe' or 'depth' free agents. We're just hearing about these because they are the home team. These borderline guys compete for an opportunity to round out the roster in spring training. If they are cut by a certain date, they have a very limited impact on the salary cap.

11. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

On a side note, I heard that Terrel Suggs didn't really impress teams with his athleticism in his workout the other day. Could that mean Andre Johnson is coming our way? Or is it more likely we will trade the pick? Or would the Texans still draft Suggs?

12. Hey Now!

they will do everything in their power to trade down unless a) suggs wows them today (he was having lunch with mcnair, casserly, capers) or b) wows them at another workout.

13. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

What is going to happen to James Allen?