1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans sign Dan Orlovsky

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by JamesC, Feb 28, 2009.

1. JamesC

JamesC Member

Orlovsky visits the Texans today

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6286086.html

Dan Orlovsky is the second free agent quarterback who will visit the Texans.

Orlovsky, who started for Detroit in the Lions' 28-21 loss on Oct. 19 at Reliant Stadium, follows Denver's Patrick Ramsey, who was in town Friday and today. Orlovsky will visit today and Sunday.

In his start against the Texans, Orlovsky completed 12 of 25 passes for 265 yards and one touchdown. For the season, he threw for 1,616 yards with eight touchdowns and eight interceptions while splitting time at quarterback with Daunte Culpepper.

Arizona defensive end Antonio Smith is spending the day with the Texans. Smith is a candidate to replace left defensive end Anthony Weaver, who was waived earlier this week.

This is a terrible group of QB free agents. I've said it before but I really hope we get Pat White.

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Pat White? To play QB? No thanks

Maybe WR.

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aifulCRgQEw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aifulCRgQEw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

4. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

Wildcat offense with him and slaton. Can we get Owen Schmitt from Seattle as well b/c I want to relive the WVU offense!

5. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

If you have been keeping up with him since the East vs West or North vs South forgot which one, he has realllllly improved throwing the ball. He has surprised a lot of scouts during workouts.

6. JamesC

JamesC Member

I think Pat White could run those bootleg reverses to perfection. Give the texans someone a bit more mobile at the position. He couldnt be any worse than Ramsey or Orlovsky.

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

mobility as an NFL QB doesn't mean all that much other than the potential to get hit more while trying to run

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

He actually impressed the scouts enough in throwing drills to move ahead of most of the other QBs on the draft board. He could a Seneca Wallace type in the NFL, he'll fall in the draft more because of his size, unless somebody wants to turn him into a WR.

9. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

He's not talking about running the ball down field, just those Kubiak designed bootleg rollouts.

10. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Pat White at QB? Seriously? In the pro's? I don't care if he's doing okay at the combine. You don't learn how to play in the NFL by running draw plays, QB sneaks and throwing four yard passes in a spread offense. He's better off pursuing a career in baseball. I'm not kidding either.

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I'm not saying he can be a starting QB in the NFL, but he showed enough arm strength and accuracy in the combine to make scouts believe he actually could. He'll be drafted because he's an athlete and a football player.

12. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I wouldn't touch him unless we're talking the last two rounds. Drafting a player as an "athlete" with no position rarely works on slim NFL rosters. If what you're saying is true about him displaying improved strength/accuracy that definitely bodes well for him even though I have a hard time processing anybody taking him seriously as a potential pro-QB.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Heck dont sign a FA QB and go draft Mark Sanchez. ESPN's Todd McShay has us taking him, and some other site, I forget. Though really, I dont care what QB we pick up, as long as he is decent and can fill in if and when Schaub goes down.

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Somebody will draft him before the 4th round, I'm almost sure of it. Just because he ran a 4.4, and he showed some arm strength.

15. JamesC

JamesC Member

Like moestavern said, White seems like a pretty good prospect. If teams are willing to give guys like Craig Nall, Orlovsky, and 50 year old Brad Johnson a shot, why not White? He's got a pretty good arm and mobility, and with any QB you hope he has the discipline to learn the position.

16. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I like Orlovsky as a backup...more than Ramsey actually

17. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Yea visit then he can keep going. Minus Kurt Warner all these free agent qb's put together dont make one decent one.

18. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I'll take him over Ramsey. He's only 26 and posted a 73 rating with that crap hole of an offense with the Lions.

With the weapons we have, he can get that rating up to 80, easy.

He's young and still learning...Id be happy with him as the back up.

19. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

It's not like we're looking for a starter.

20. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I understand. Im just saying this free agent class of qb's suck and as much as Shuab gets hurt I wouldnt feel too comfortable with Orlovsky or Ramsey under center.Hopefully im wrong though because Kubiak knows offense and made a decent qb out of Sage so maybe he can do the same with one of these guys.