1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans sign Cato June

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by TRIQSTER, Apr 4, 2009.

1. TRIQSTER

TRIQSTER Contributing Member

Just reported per the Chronicle

2. TRIQSTER

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6358781.html

The Texans have agreed to a contract with free agent outside linebacker Cato June.

June, who came to Houston early this week to meet with the Texans, spent the last two seasons with Tampa Bay before being released in February.

June, 29, is 6-0, 227. He'll compete with Xavier Adibi for the starting job on the weak side. June had 63 tackles, including 49 unassisted, for the Buccaneers last season.

June, who grew up in Washington D.C. and played at Michigan, spent his first four seasons with Indianapolis before signing with Tampa Bay as a free agent. With the Colts, he started on their Super Bowl XLI-winning team. He also was voted to the Pro Bowl one time

3. msn

msn Member

*splish*

4. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

I hope we still draft an outside linebacker ... but June is already a nice addition.

5. TRIQSTER

terms not disclosed yet, id be intrested to find out what they paid for him

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

1 year, 1.5 million. Good signing.

7. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

If we do draft a LB in the first round, we are going to be stacked with talent and depth across the board at linebacker. Frank Bush and Johnny Holland have to be licking their chops with excitement over the possibilities with the rotation.

June/Adibi
    Ryans/Bentley
    Diles/*Cushing/Matthews?*/Thompson

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

He played really well in Indy. A averaged about 120 tackles there after his rookie year. Tampa moved him from weak OLB to strong OLB and his numbers dropped. Hopefully he'll produce for us like he did in Indy since we plan to play him at weak OLB.

Going into last season, Scouts Inc. assigned him a grade of 68 which was significantly better than all of our LB's not named Demeco.

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm glad to hear about this signing. Good deal if it's what was posted. Hopefully now, we'll move away from Cushing and Matthews, as I'm not too high on them.

I would love to see us take one of the following:
    Malcolm Jenkins
    Vontae Davis
    Peria Jerry

As for linebacker, I haven't seen James Lauranitis in many mocks lately(what happened to him?), but if he somehow fell, he would be an absolute steal in the second.

11. TheBigAristotle

Wasn't this guy relevant years ago? He actually played well last year?

12. Breaker

Breaker Member

We still don't have a true SLB, beside Thompson, but then again I think the coaches are more focus on speed and quickness then size.

We don't have a position that is in dire needs of upgrading going into the draft. SS, currently, is the only position without a clear-cut starter. Too bad Taylor Mays didn't declare; I'm sure we would've target him heavily if he did.

I don't LB in the 1st is now a total forgone conclusion, but with 8 LBs already at that position, I just can't see us picking one high.

13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I wish there was a clear cut safety that we could pick. Instead, I think we should still stick with the secondary and pick one of the CBs. We should have some good pass rushing, which will make our secondary look tons better, but why not upgrade the secondary while we're at it?

I just don't feel that we need to go LB in the first round. You can get a good linebacker in the second, third, or even fourth round. I would rather draft a receiver like a Percy Harvin in the first round than a linebacker.

I still see us trading down 5 to 8 spaces and picking up an extra pick...

14. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Bargain shopping by the Texans this offseason. Hopefully he becomes a good asset to the team and not end up being a Roosevelt Colvin.

15. TheGM

TheGM Contributing Member

Decent signing.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Haven't seen much of him in a couple of years, but provided he hasn't been injury ridden, he should be okay.

1 person likes this.
  17. STIX

STIX Member

Never heard of this guy before but, I would guess this is a good signing.

18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Nice pickup for the Texans. June along with Smith really gives us the opportunity to go with the best defensive player available rather than having to pick reach to fill needs.

I'd really like to see us pick up Malcom Jenkins if available. He didn't perform as well as expected at the combine and there has been a lot of talk about him moving to a safety position which would fill a big need for us.

19. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Before the June signing, I was leaning towards LB...but Im really open to anything at this point, as long as its on the defensive side of the ball. I think if I had to go in one direction right now, it would be with Jenkins. He didnt have a good day at the combine, but he has shown on the field that he is a player. I'd be open to having him be either a CB or S, whichever the coaches feel is the best fit.

Im liking this defense more and more...it they can just be average, our offense can take care of the rest.

20. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Wow. He's a pretty well-known player.

I like this move. :)