1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans sign Brock Osweiler

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Mar 9, 2016.

?

Do you like the Brock Osweiler signing?

1. YES

68.7%
  2. NO

10.0%
  3. I abstain, courteously

21.3%
  1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

2. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Manziel & McCown - Browns & former Browns QBs. Intriguing! They may come calling about Hoyer.

Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports the Broncos will consider trading for Josh McCown if they're unable to land Colin Kaepernick.

Cleveland signed Robert Griffin III this offseason and he's expected to compete with whichever quarterback the Browns end up drafting with the second pick. That leaves McCown as the odd man out, though the Browns would obviously prefer to get something in return for him rather than cutting him. Ryan Fitzpatrick is likely headed back to the Jets (D'Brickashaw Ferguson's retirement should give New York enough cap space to make that possible) and Kaepernick remains unwilling to take a paycut to join the Broncos. McCown battled injuries last year but played well when healthy. He might be Denver's best option.

#823 J.R., Apr 8, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Talib hating:

http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1005085?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

If Talib felt like that, he should have punched Osweiler in the face and told him about it.

After all, that's what Aqib Talib does.

What I'm trying to say is, he's definitely the authority on being a great teammate.

------------
    July 2008: Talib reportedly fights with fellow Bucs draft pick Cory Boyd at the rookie symposium, an event designed to help rookies make a smooth transition into the NFL. It’s unclear who started the fight or what was at issue.

May 2009: Talib strikes teammate Torrie Cox near the eye while wielding his helmet in an altercation with offensive tackle Donald Penn. Cox was attempting to be a peacemaker between the two when he was inadvertently hit by Talib. Cox required multiple stitches.
    Asked about controlling his temper, Talib said, "I've definitely got to work on it. It's a family though. When you're out here with your brothers. . . I mean, you fight. It comes with being a family. We're all brothers out here. Me and Donald, we're perfectly fine today. It's behind us.”

August 2009: Talib is arrested in St. Petersburg for simple battery and resisting arrest for assaulting a cab driver from the back seat of the taxi. Talib later agrees to a pre-trial program with prosecutors and reaches an undisclosed financial settlement with the driver. The NFL hands down a 1-game suspension in 2010 for violating the personal-conduct policy.

November 2010: After a costly penalty in a close loss to the Ravens, Talib engages in a fierce argument with a game official and has to be restrained outside the team’s locker room. The official also responded with expletives. Then-coach Raheem Morris defended Talib, saying he didn’t do anything wrong.

March 2011: Talib and his mother, Okolo, are charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon after an altercation with the live-in boyfriend of Talib’s sister. Talib is accused of firing shots during an argument on a residential street. The charges are later dropped, according to Talib’s attorney, because the prosecution’s witness was not credible.

October 2012: Talib is suspended for four games by the NFL for violating the league’s policy on performance-enhancing substances. Talib, in a statement, says he took a single Adderall pill without a prescription. The drug is considered a banned substance under the league’s PED policy.

And that's just as a member of the Bucs

More recently, he was suspended for poking a Colt in the eye, and under suspicion for assault with a deadly weapon in Dallas.

No wonder Brock didn't return your call.

#825 Two Sandwiches, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  6. Marteen

Marteen Member

Aqib Talib? The guy that almost single-handedly caused the Broncos to lose the Super Bowl with his antics getting flagged? Yeah, I'll take his advice any day.

7. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Aqib Talib is definitely a hell of a DB and a guy I would take on my team any day. However, I couldn't careless about anything that comes out of his mouth.

8. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Yeah, Talib was on Sportscenter this morning and he sounded like he didn't know what was going on.

Pretty odd guy.

9. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Then Gary should've made that clear, Aqib. Blame him for not doing that, because he had every opportunity to say "Peyton is our starter" and never really did, except for one line before Osweiler's first game.

The problem was how indecisively Kubiak handled it... he had every opportunity throughout Osweiler's run to clarify the status at QB, but he never did -- to the point where many local and national writers thought they were sticking with Brock. (Remember, Peyton was a "healthy backup" heading into Week 17.) My personal opinion was that Kubiak's gut always wanted to go back to Manning, but it was tough finding the appropriate time -- could you really bench Osweiler after he came from behind to beat the Patriots on SNF, or after he beat the Bengals (putting Denver in the driver's seat for No. 1) on MNF with a QB rating of 100+? Then after all the fumbles against San Diego, Kubiak saw an opening and a viable excuse (needed a "spark", or whatever) and he ran with it.

It wasn't managed poorly from a "let's win games NOW!" perspective. After all, Kubiak's vague responses enabled Osweiler to think he had a real shot to keep the job and probably boosted his confidence. That, in turn, helped Denver win more games... and they ultimately won the Super Bowl, so it obviously was worth something. On the other hand, you can certainly see how it could rub Osweiler the wrong way. And if a player like that is set to become an unrestricted FA after the season, the organization has to be aware of how their actions toward him could be perceived. It's not that they HAD to play Osweiler, but the communication seemed to be lacking -- and that's not how to manage an employee who is set to have alternative options.

#829 The Cat, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  10. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I watched the butt fumble the other day and then had to watch it about 15 times in a row. Its still so damn funny. They should have never retired it from "Worst of the Worst" on Sportscenter

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Broncos?src=hash">#Broncos</a> LB Brandon Marshall on facing <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Houston?src=hash">#Houston</a> QB Brock Osweiler &quot;I hope he's ready.. Cuz we're coming for him.&quot; .... I love it</p>&mdash; Troy Renck (@TroyRenck) <a href="https://twitter.com/TroyRenck/status/720771709712801792">April 15, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

Does he think Brock Osweiler is gonna be playing alone? haha. The salt. :grin:

13. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

The Brock Osweiler move to Houston doesn't really make sense to me if football and winning is the consideration. Not saying he can't win in Houston but wasn't he basically going to be the defacto starter in Denver with Manning retiring? And, that team is poised to be in contention next season again. It is kind of an odd move by him imo...unless he is holding some animosity for his former team and teammates. Or, he really likes Houston I guess. Did he explain what his logic was in his decision? Surely, he couldn't be butt hurt that Manning returned and he had to go back to the bench? And, I'm not calling you 'Surely'.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

In addition to what you mentioned... it has been said he wasn't a big fan of Kubiak's controlling system (remember, he was groomed in the Gase/Manning system), he has a chance to build something in Houston (and get nearly all the credit for any success), and lastly... Houston gave him more money.

And frankly, if it was more about being benched after being the one keeping their season afloat... what is wrong with being upset about that? Competitive drive is part of what makes great players great.

15. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Well, lets hope he doesn't get a rude awakening and become that guy who is better known for throwing pick sixes. It could backfire just as easily as it could succeed. I mean...he did just depart a super bowl team. I imagine there will be some growing pains and he's got a whole different o-line protecting him now. And, we all know o-lines can make or break any offense if they are not on the same page and have chemistry. Not sure what state your team's is in, though.

16. RocketTOOL

RocketTOOL Member

Who are we to judge why he left? People do it all the time for vaious reasons. You act as if he left to join the Titans or something.

17. htown1984

htown1984 Member

The Broncos offered the guy 30 Million Guarantee (7 million less than us)
    so they surely wanted him back- and thought he could be the franchise guy. I think even if the Broncos had offered him the same as the Texans he would have chosen the Texans anyways.

He stated in his press conference that he studied Obrien and thought he was a better fit for his offense than i assume Kubiak

I think he will be a very solid QB- but we will see

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There were plenty of reasons for Osweiler to leave Denver. For starters, he is probably less than thrilled that after coming in and playing well, he got benched for the corpse of Peyton Manning who was god awful in the playoffs.

There were rumors he didn't like Kubiak's system, so getting out from that was a bonus.

He got paid more and is in a more friendly tax state so he can keep more of his money.

He's not in the shadow of the corpse of Peyton Manning or the faint memory of John Elway.

He's heading to one of the easiest divisions to win in the league.

The Broncos are a team that wins with defense, the Texans are built in a similar manner.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Who is your team?

Are you simply a salty Broncos fan?s

The Texans needed to address the QB position... they did that. Sure, nothing is guaranteed, but I feel better with a non-rookie, but still young QB who has some wins under his belt rather than going with a draft pick. Guys like Osweiler (meaning young QB's with actual starting experience, who didn't embarrass themselves) don't magically become available on a typical basis.

20. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Even after ditching Brock during the San Diego game and going with Manning down the stretch, the Broncos still could have signalled that he was their QB moving forward much earlier.