1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans sign Brock Osweiler

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Mar 9, 2016.

?

Do you like the Brock Osweiler signing?

1. YES

68.7%
  2. NO

10.0%
  3. I abstain, courteously

21.3%
  1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Really?

In my next life, I'm going to request to become a backup QB... that never ever has to play. You're guaranteed to be the most well-liked, well-supported player... with endless predicted possibilities for success.

(btw, Philly has no idea what they're doing with those two guys... its basically a much more expensive version of Hoyer/Mallett.... in fact, they would have been better off simply going with that sort of plan).

2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I have to think he and others have Russell Wilson in mind, thinking they gave him a shot vs. Moore and look what happened.

But this is different--they've seen Savage in the preseason and practice a fair amount now...they'll know if he's anywhere near competing with Brock or not. And given the contract they handed out, I think they're saying he's not there.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Money wasn't only reason Brock Osweiler dissed John Elway and Broncos

Houston gave Brock Osweiler $72 million and no one has any idea if he's good

GRADING EVERY DEAL OF 2016 NFL FREE AGENCY

4. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I mean, except they did.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I really hope he's the guy.

I really do but!

This is Houston.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You know, Osweiler has to be pretty bad for it to fail here. Does anyone realize just how bad our QB situation was last year?

Hoyer, Mallet, Weeden...I mean seriously. Bill went 9-7 with that?

I see a lot of people saying "Brock's going to regret this when they are 2-7." I'm like nah. We got stars on this team, bonafide stars. One of the best DLinement to EVER play the game, a stud WR that catches any ball that dares come his way.

We should be fine. Again, as long as he's not out there throwing INTs every other drive we should be fine.

7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

All the talk about how Denver "saw it coming" and knew Osweiler wanted to leave is BS face saving. Otherwise, they would have been preparing plan B, and executed it the moment Osweiler chose Houston. Look at how quickly the Texans sprung Jeff Miller when Brooks left town.

They sort of half-heartedly floated Kapernick's name, and SF seems to want to keep him.

8. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

EXACTLY. Denver ****ed up. Sucks for them!

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed... and Russel Wilson was taken higher than Savage, and there was very little question about his supreme athleticism (i.e. - if he didn't make it as a QB, it's highly probable he could have played a skill position).

Once Pete Carroll saw him in training camp, he was sold that he had what it took to be a successful QB in this league... and he was right.

Unless Savage has gone through some exponential improvement in his year off, its highly unlikely we'll see a similar scenario. But hey, he's still on the roster... and they used a coveted IR spot on him last year... so there's at least that.

10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Brock is the best option for the next two years.

If he doesn't work out, cut him for little cap hit and try again.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Really good to see the hard-hitting NFL reporters (Schefter, Rappaport) hammering home the likely true narrative that Brock chose to leave Denver for Houston... and not what the media would prefer and some pundits are still trying to peddle (that John Elway/Kubiak are some sort of masterminds that knew that Brock wasn't worth a huge deal, and they let him go.)

I also don't see why it would be any sort of a negative for a guy wanting to leave a team that just won the SB... I mean, there's really only one way the Broncos are going to have a successful season next year, and that's by repeating as champs... which is a really tough standard to live up to. Anything less, and their fans aren't going to be as chipper.

So maybe he not only was spurned by the way he was treated there... but he also wants to try and actually build something here and achieve something that's been unprecedented here. I have no problems with that either way.

12. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

The 790 interview with the Broncos radio guys said essentially this...Broncos never expected Brock to bolt... Or they would've franchised him... Elway is pissed off at the Texans; his comments to the media reflect that.

13. Nook

Nook Member

They Should have drafted and groomed a QB years ago.

14. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

http://http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/03/09/nfl-mock-draft-free-agency-rumors-signings

I know I posted this in another thread, but I think this one is more relevant.. SI seems to think Brock should have been on everyone's radar, and this is what they said before we got him.

15. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Denver radio host was on 610 yesterday and said the Texans "Incredibly overpaid". He's been around the situation for quite awhile. Just be ready folks if things don't pan out.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">4) I'm told 1 reason for Osweiler's dissatisfaction in Denver was he felt he lacked options in Kubiak's offense. Sought more freedom at line</p>&mdash; Michael Silver (@MikeSilver) <a href="https://twitter.com/MikeSilver/status/707948627818221568">March 10, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">5) Osweiler cut off conversations with teammates &amp; others in Broncos organization last week. Clearly wanted out. Elway wasn't wrong.</p>&mdash; Michael Silver (@MikeSilver) <a href="https://twitter.com/MikeSilver/status/707948992286445569">March 10, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">On last retweet. Freedom at line of scrimmage is earned. Flacco had to earn w Kubiak. And I can tell you that it was not a strength of Oz's</p>&mdash; Troy Renck (@TroyRenck) <a href="https://twitter.com/TroyRenck/status/707954256020688896">March 10, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I really like Brock Osweiler as a player, but I can't escape thinking this is Scott Mitchell going to the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Lions?src=hash">#Lions</a> in 1994. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Broncos?src=hash">#Broncos</a></p>&mdash; Jason Cole (@JasonColeBR) <a href="https://twitter.com/JasonColeBR/status/707955396057542657">March 10, 2016</a></blockquote>

#436 J.R., Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  17. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Well that isn't one of the scenarios... so we have to go with what we have, and I think we made the best option. Success or Fail, I think everyone would agree they were tired of the Texans limping into the draft and hoping for the best but ultimately failing.

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Anyone have a link to this? Would love to hear it.

19. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

People are ready--they saw last year's dumpster QB situation. I don't think anyone's sitting here and saying "he's the next Andrew Luck, we're set for 10 years!" Or hell, even 3 years. But most of us are saying it was one of the best options we had and definitely could work out decently or even very well, if things break the right way

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I wonder if his relationship with Rick Smith has been damaged? I also wonder if, as friends, Elway made it know to Smith how high and excited he was about Brock's future.