1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

texan's screwed up Leftwich's Knee

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rileydog, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

serves them right, whiners.

Jaguars' Leftwich
    out indefinitely
    Quarterback sprained knee
    during loss to Texans Sunday
    Jaguars quarterback Byron Leftwich has completed 177 of 273 passes for 1,891 yards, nine touchdowns and seven interceptions this season.
    The Associated Press

Updated: 4:42 p.m. ET Nov. 2, 2004JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Jaguars quarterback Byron Leftwich is out indefinitely after spraining his lateral collateral ligament in his left knee in Sunday’s 20-6 loss to Houston.

Sports orthopedist James Andrews of Birmingham, Ala., examined Leftwich on Tuesday and determined the quarterback will not need surgery. He has been told to rest the injury.

Some players with the same injury have required four to six weeks of rest. Coach Jack Del Rio said the Jaguars would not offer a timetable for Leftwich’s return until Monday.

Backup quarterback David Garrard, who has thrown just 60 passes in his three-year NFL career, will take over as the starter.

The Jaguars (5-3), in first place in the AFC South, have a bye this week before playing host to the Detroit Lions on Sunday, Nov. 14.

Leftwich’s agent, Tom Condon, sent the quarterback to Andrews after he developed pain late Monday afternoon.

Leftwich was injured just before halftime on a high-low tackle by linebacker Kailee Wong and defensive lineman Gary Walker. Leftwich missed two plays before putting himself back in the game — without input from the coaching staff.

He finished 25-of-40 for 227 yards with two interceptions, snapping his streak of consecutive games with at least one touchdown pass at 12.

Leftwich said immediately after the game he would be fine, but experienced problems the next day. Leftwich has had several leg injuries dating to his college career at Marshall.

As a rookie last year, Leftwich took over as starter from Mark Brunell, who was traded in the offseason to the Washington Redskins.

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Looks like the Texans are one step closer to the playoffs.

3. Earl Cureton

Earl Cureton Contributing Member

4. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

Any time you see James Andrews and an athlete in the same sentence, that is not a good thing...

5. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

it kinda sucks because i have byron and steve mcnair on my team.

6. hoang17

hoang17 Contributing Member

i hope he does play after the bye week not fully healed. that way another big hit and he may be gone for the season.

also, i'm ****ing sick of espn giving the JAGS so much love. Goodness we just beat them soundly and all they talk about is the JAGS. I don't know, but I would take Carr everyday and twice on Sunday over Gary Coleman.

I guess houston has to go 9-0 the rest of the way for some air coverage. :rolleyes:

7. GraingerGuy

GraingerGuy Member

Isn't that the way it is with all Houston teams? :)

8. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

Yep, just look at the Astros 36-10 run. All the media could talk about was the Sox and the Yankees.

9. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

If it wasn't for Beltran and Clemens the media would have ignored us completely.