1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans release Sam Montgomery, Cierre Wood and Willie Jefferson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Oct 21, 2013.

1. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i thought fans were upset because the Texans would only draft choir boys?

1 person likes this.
  2. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I don't know, I don't think Kubiak really wanted or cared any of these guys.

Montgomery has had a bad rep from day 1 and his conditioning and injuries in training camp probably didn't help endear him to the coaches.

Woods he was trying to bury on the depth chart since training camp, barely giving reps in preseason despite out performing everyone but Tate and if he wasn't as good as he was he probably would have been cut for Karim.

Jefferson, was a undrafted FA on the defensive side of the ball, who barely cracked the rotation (as if there was one at that position). Despite his work ethic in training camp, no telling if he kept that up and was just buried under established players or if he loss the fire that had him the talk of the early season.

Either way, whether weed or cigar, I honestly don't see how/why the team would let them go over one instance where apparently there wasn't even any police involved? Honestly, I really just see this might be a way to get rid of some unwanted players similar to how Holliday was cut after we lost Cushing last season when there wasn't even any need to do so, other then Kubiak/Dennison/whoever wanted to lock up one of our offensive linemen from practice squad.

3. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Cigars you say?

Swisha Sweets? Phillies? Dutch? Pom Pom? Dare I say... Black and Mild?

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

If it was mar1juana, their careers are probably over. Especially Jefferson. What do they have to lose by denying it?

5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

They didn't get cut for blazing. They got cut for sucking.

6. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Maybe Montgomery, but Wood and Jefferson haven't seen the field enough outside of special team (where everyone sucks under Marciano's leadership) to say that.

Truthfully, I won't be surprised if one or more of them excel with another team because really we see that happen with more then a few ex Texans that get either let go or not retained under circumstances where it appears the coaches just don't trust or want them in more expanded roles.

7. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

These 3 players better not become good players for other teams. I get sick of hearing Jacoby and Trindon always mentioned as Texans castoffs whenever they bust long ones on a return.

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Damn. Willie released? Sam...SMH....and Woods. Dude had a chance to elevate his career.

Over a cigar? meh. Guess being so low in the totem pole, anything against the rules.....

#128 Uprising, Oct 21, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  9. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

The 'signs' were definitely there...

[quotes from scouts]
    "He's a hard-charging, hard-playing guy," another scout said. "Little bit odd off the field but I think it is manageable. There's a lot of (defensive ends), and he's going to turn some people off with his personality." Out of Greenwood, S.C. "Odd is an understatement," a third scout said. "Sam's a talented guy, but after Ziggy Ansah he has the next-best chance to bust. He's wild and crazy. He's an odd bird is the best way to put it."​

As far as Willie Jefferson goes... Baylor kicked him off the team for smoking pot back in 2010.
    Baylor wide receiver Willie Jefferson has been dismissed from the team for a violation of team rules.
    Jefferson was arrested along with fellow receiver Josh Gordon on Oct. 3 after police found the two passed out in the drive-thru of a Taco Bell near the Baylor campus. Both were charged with misdemeanor mar1juana possession after police found mar1juana in the car.

Many believe the Texans are protecting these guys so that they'll be picked up by other teams. Don't buy it. The Texans, by going with the laughable cigar story, are intent on protecting their image as a high character organization.

It's the Kubiak way.

10. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Both statements can be simultaneously true. Kubiak has always taken the route of not throwing a player under the bus, for better or worse (in fact, he is often ripped for not tearing into players in public). He always takes the path of leaving the player the chance to turn it around somewhere else. The cigar story and relative silence fits his M.O.

And yes, McNair cares about having a clean brand.

11. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Makes Kubiak look good for the end of the year analysis , he can always say he didn't get any help in the draft beyond the first two picks.

12. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

What I took away from this is that we cut two undrafted free agents and a 3rd round pick who is an immature, fat buffoon.

who cares

(although I'd like that 3rd round pick back)

13. Grinds

Grinds Member

3 Pack for $.99 is all that mattered.

14. thething

thething Contributing Member

Losing Wood is the only one I'm upset about. That guy was talented and we probably could use him.

15. Grinds

Grinds Member

Smh

The last 3 WS winners
    STL- Berkman
    SF- Pence
    STL- Beltran??

Smh

16. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

I really wanted to see Cierre on the field. Did so well during preseason. All those breakout runs and yardages that apparently Foster doesn't do anymore.

With the Browns supposedly going after Tate in the offseason, wtf are we gonna do at RB?

17. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Hah, bunch of punks. Can't even handle weed pffft

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I think the hope was to draft actually good players with suspect history. If they suck then who cares.

20. conquistador#11

so is keenum going to play running back too if foster's ham tightens up again? eh about the other guys just late rounders.