1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans re-sign Garrett Graham

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Mar 13, 2014.

1. Remii

Remii Member

What talent is it you speak of...??? Graham is not a foundation player.

2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Here is why the Graham/OD moves are a bad idea:

You let Graham walk and you get a compensatory pick next year.

You let OD walk next year and you get a compensatory pick in 16'.

What we basically did was downgrade from OD to Garrett Graham, and got $1 mil in cap savings, but likely lost out on a couple of 5th or 6th round picks. I just don't think that makes much sense. We have a lot of holes to fill and depth to add. We need those picks.

On a positive note, if I was gonna structure a deal to keep Graham, I would have done it the way we did. With $4.5 guaranteed we are basically giving him a year to prove his worth as a starter in BOB's offense (last year was far from conclusive regarding Graham), and if he falls short the texans can move on and cut him next year without any financial implications. But if he actually plays well, we've got him locked up on what would then constitute a value contract for two more years.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Garrett Graham is fired up to play for Bill O'Brien. &quot;He wants to use me as more of a move tight end, an H-back. I'm excited about that.&quot;</p>&mdash; John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/statuses/444217744947302400">March 13, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

LMFAO

5. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Griffin looked more exciting last year but solid move

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

This is my personal opinion and I may be wrong, but I think OD's done from a physical standpoint. So it's not so much choosing Graham over OD as it is just releasing a non-useful player.

Overall I do think this is a lateral move. Basically re-arranging depth chart on a 2-14 team. I honestly could care less either way.

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1) I 'm not really sure losing Graham would net a 5th or 6th compensatory pick.
    2) Texans did save some on the cap by releasing him now. Cap space desperately needed now more so than a 6th round pick 2 years from now.
    3) How was last year "far from conclusive" about Graham? He is a solid pass catching TE, and he's proven that.
    4) Even if Graham does fall short, Griffin is behind him to take and, imo, is going to be a heck of a player.

1 person likes this.
  8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

but Graham was likely to net some compensatory value, and what about OD's compensatory pick? would have been higher than a 6th. and really..$1 mil cap savings is anything to get excited about? and while i agree that Graham is capable of catching passes, as far as im concerned he did not make the most of his opportunity when OD went down. He's an average player; does average = solid? I agree about Griffin.

I will say again, that i like the way they structured his deal and i do think Obrien will get the most out of him by moving him around the way they did the murder.

9. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

Maybe you're right on the graham compensatory but my initial gut reaction is that he wouldn't warrant one. Who knows though. I still don't think it's of value enough to impact a football decision.

$1MM saved is a million saved. Every bit helps when a team is close to the cap and needs players badly. Maybe the texans get a 5th rounder in 2016 for OD but I think the texans may be more inclined to spend that million on someone with an nfl track record now than an unknown 2 years from now.

And yes, i'd consider average about on par with solid (although i'd say he is a better than average receiving TE). Again, his receiving stats were about middle of the pack last year, and that was with the QB position in disarray and him not even even starting a handful of games (either due to his hamstring or OD starting)

But overall, I think any step back in talent/ability from him to OD is offset by cap savings and age considerations. I do think that age is an important factor overlooked here. I think texans are hedging their bets with Graham and Griffin being their play for the next couple/few years versus losing OD next year and being forced to find his replacement immediately.

10. Tushies

Tushies Member

Problem is you don't get compensatory picks for released/cut players, only certain FA's.

11. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

Yes I know...:confused: