1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans re-sign Garrett Graham

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Mar 13, 2014.

1. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Solid.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Garrett Graham's three-year deal with the <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Texans&amp;src=hash">#Texans</a> is worth $11.25 M, per source.</p>&mdash; Adam Caplan (@caplannfl) <a href="https://twitter.com/caplannfl/statuses/444173419442360320">March 13, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Well there wasn't a discount that's for sure.

3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I don't like it. He shouldn't be making a penny over $3 mil per season; if that. Curious what the structure is and how much guaranteed money. Very anticlimactic; he's not even all that good.

4. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Y'all aren't taking into account the eventual cap raise and adjustment for market value of TEs. That deal is fine for a starting TE.

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

The problem is that's he's a below average starting TE. We have too many below average starters. This is crap. Graham is not a starting TE. Why do folks think otherwise?

6. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

Lets see how much of that 11.25 million is guaranteed.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'd rather have a crappy starting TE than allocate 4 million to a TE when we have other problems. Just play 3 and 4 WR sets and let a blocking or project TE man the position. Receiving TE's aren't that important in the grand scheme of things. They're only important if you have good ones. I know O'Brien likes TE's but you cant force it.

8. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would have preferred just rolling with Griffin

9. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Yeah, not a huge fan at $3 mil per year (unless a lot of it is not guaranteed). I think we could easily find another Garrett Graham in the middle of the draft and roll with that and Griffin.

10. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

The TE position requires one to block and to be a safety/relief blanket for the QB if nothing is available. Dont sell Graham short, he was terrific since OD went down, and was doing a solid job as as the starter.While he lacks the imposing size that is seen in more and more TE, Graham is a good player. And right behind him, Ryan Griffin has the size and speed for a protypical TE...keep an eye on these two for the season. I for one do not care about this position as much as people are making it out to be. The Texans relied on the TEs to score TDs way too much, as other teams use their star WO's to do the job. I am really hoping that the Texans find ways to address other issues than who is gonna be our next star TE...

11. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

about 3 mil isnt a bad deal for a starting TE: http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/tight-end/

his salary is being overly scrutinized, considering that the Texans really dont have much cap space to work with. His pay is fair...

12. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, saying Graham is below average is taking an argument too far. Maybe you could argue that he is average because, while he is an above average pass catcher catcher, he may lack some desired in the blocking department (although he is a willing and decent technical blocker).

He was tied 12th in TDs and 18th in total yards for TE while being on a team whose QBs were terrible and he was serving as a backup for 5 games. The guy is solid starting TE and the amount they paid is hardly ridiculous.

I would agree that Griffin is the real guy to watch for. That guy could become a monster.

13. Remii

Remii Member

If Griffin is still on the roster this move was a waste of money... And if Griffin isn't still on the roster, it's still a waste of money.

This draft is too full of tight ends to burn money on Graham.

14. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I agree that it's a fair salary, I just think that he'd be pretty easy to replace at a lower salary and we don't have the luxury of spending much money right now. But maybe O'brien sees something we don't.

EDIT: Only $4.5 guaranteed. That changes things a bit. If he doesn't improve this year or next could be pretty easily cut without hurting us too much.

#34 DieHard Rocket, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

4.5 guaranteed

16. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

That is awesome news.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

So what do we have to spend now? $10mil to cover 5-8 rookies (of which 3 max will start) and a **** load of holes to fill?

18. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

More of the same BS.

We get ourselves into a crappy cap situation, cut good players we need, and try to roll with backups who eventually fail. See: Demico, Barwin, Briesel, Winston, Quinn

19. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Rick Smith has been a poor manager of the cap since day 1.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This team (hopefully) is not doing the same BS in order to get into the playoffs. They are (hopefully) trying to build a foundation of young talented players for a long term goal. He is 27 so he's not that old.