1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans QB watch

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by King of 40 Acres, Jan 13, 2013.

1. TMAC3

TMAC3 Member

I'm tired of people saying Schaub didn't give up 41 points... Well him not being able to keep the offense on the field is a big reason why that happened

2. edwardc

edwardc Member

drop smith and add young or go get one in the draft.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Who? What QB in this draft even has the potential to be better than Schaub is right now?

Schaub didn't give up 41 points and drop passes.

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Colin Kaepernick was a 2nd round pick and Russell Wilson was a 3rd. The Texans should attempt to find a QB like this they can develop on the bench until he's ready to replace Schaub.

The following QB's are expected to be picked anywhere from late first to the 3rd round. If the Texans see any that they like they need to get him.

Matt Barkley QB 2 Southern California Sr 6-2 230 1
    Tyler Wilson QB 3 Arkansas rSr 6-2 218 1-2
    Ryan Nassib QB 4 Syracuse rSr 6-2 228 2
    Mike Glennon QB 5 North Carolina State rSr 6-5 232 2
    Tyler Bray QB 6 Tennessee Jr 6-5 215 2
    Zac Dysert QB 7 Miami (Ohio) rSr 6-3 228 2-3
    Landry Jones QB 8 Oklahoma rSr 6-4 220 2-3
    EJ Manuel QB 9 Florida State rSr 6-4 240 3

And part of the reason we gave up 41 points was that our inept offense couldn't drive the ball against one of the worst defenses in the nfl when the game mattered.

5. Major

Major Member

Not really sure, but at least 1/3rd of the league is in a tier clearly better than Schaub:

Brady, Brees, Manning, Manning, Rodgers, Luck, RG3, Wilson, Kaepernick, Ryan, Big Ben

Another tier has higher upside (but also higher implosion-potential) than Schaub: Stafford, Romo, Flacco, Rivers, Newton. Schaub probably should be ranked somewhere in this class of QBs.

That means Schaub is basically the definition of average. If any other position is average, you at least look to improve there - the QB should not be an exception. Maybe they can't find someone, but it should be on the list of areas to upgrade; and even more so when you're talking about the most important single position on the field.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I would rank Schaub below that second tier, too. The fact of the matter is that all of those QBs might implode... but Peyton implodes, too. But all of those QBs can also go out and win a PLAYOFF game (not a game against Miami, Jacksonville or Detroit).

As usual, Houston sports fans get stuck with mgmt that is making things more complicated than they should be. San Francisco made a switch, even though on its face, it seemed odd, but it made sense. You got to get a better QB. Seattle signed a QB in FA that they thought would be their QB of the future, but still saw Wilson on the board when they didn't think he should be, grabbed him, recognized talent immediately and made him the starter.

This isn't complicated. Talent is talent. The Texans don't have the right talent at the QB position. They need to find better talent. They have to do it via the draft, by default. The end.

I agree with this entirely.

Only caveat is can THIS regime pick the right QB? I don't think so. Maybe. It's clearly not as easy as just picking up a guy in the 2nd round, but still. Maybe none of the above make any sense. I certainly don't know.

But if they REALLY think one of the above is underrated, and even need to trade draft picks to move up, you do so.

The team has enough talent, honestly, to win a superbowl. Many like to point to the o-line as deficient... and true, it wasn't great. But it wasn't very experienced either. It should get better next year naturally.

Does Wade get exposed at times? yes, against all-time great type QBs, though... and you're going to get exposed there occasionally. They also had injuries defensively, and Bellicheck is a genius. We're not trading head coaches here.

There's enough talent, though, if they have a more dynamic QB who helps put pressure on the other team AND is a better, more vocal, more charismatic leader. They're not getting that from Kubiak. But it doesn't matter how many times they said they were "ready", when your QB leader is a guy who manages to escape the pocket to have 25 yards to either make a play with his arm, or run for it, or take a dump, read War and Peace, get some sleep and then still have enough time to make a play... BUT instead decides to crap his pants and throw it away... well, it's clear that MENTALLY, they were not "ready" for the game... and that's a leadership on the field issue.

You can SEE it. Wilson has IT. Schaub clearly does NOT. It permeates the locker room.

#86 JayZ750, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Yup. This is where I wish the Texans had a Daryl Morey mentality in the front office. That is, if it doesn't have legit championship upside... try something else. Matt is not going to be a Super Bowl guy without a top-flight offensive line and running game (probably an elite defense, too), and that's too difficult to sustain from year to year in the modern NFL. Without those things, winning big in the playoffs requires your QB to freelance and make big plays on his own... the types of things that Flacco did Saturday and exactly what Matt did NOT do on Sunday. In terms of winning a ring, I'd easily put Schaub in the bottom half of the league, and this is by far the game's most important position. It needs to be an immediate priority.

1 person likes this.
  8. Major

Major Member

This is exactly the philosophy a front office should have. Instead, many fans and front offices have a habit of institutionalizing mediocrity because of a fear of getting worse. This happens across the board in all sports. This is the Mack Brown problem at Texas, for example.

9. JayZ750

It's somewhat understandable from a Texans perspective... so many years of ineptitude and they are finally good.

But as a fan, I'm in it for dominance, not 2nd round exits that come only because you beat the Bengals in the first round. Short of a Superbowl, something like a Bills run of dominance... which would of course be incredibly disappointing in the end if you don't win the big game, but to get there repeatedly.

Matt Schaub will never be the QB to lead a team to that level of dominance - either 1 superbowl win or multiple trips. He just won't. The 2000 Ravens were such an outlier it makes no sense to even try and mimic what they did. Their defense was light years ahead of our defense... AND they had the good fortune of playing a Kerry Collins led team in the superbowl.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying you cut Schaub, or even HAVE to draft a QB this year. If someone wants to take Schaub off your hands, I'd be all for that. At his contract, with his limitations, I don't see that happening.

But they have to seriously start mapping out a plan that includes a QB taken in the top 2 rounds (or early 3rd) at some point in the next 2 drafts that they envision replacing Schaub very very soon...

10. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

absolutely spot effing on. there is not a single move that could have a bigger positive imapct than simply switching out schaub for a better qb. granted finding that better qb is not so simple but if this front office has ANY sense they should be looking for that alternative yesterday. schaub has had no competition practically since day one... that's asinine.

this team, as currently constructed, has more than enough talent across the board to compete in and win a super bowl. it just needs a better qb.

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think the texans should try to go for the Russell Wilson type. Someone who was super productive in college, but maybe is a little undersized, the Morey undersize PF. Maybe Tajh Boyd if came out this year would have been a good 2nd round pick.

12. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I was with you until you started going on about charisma. Fans care about charisma -- players want performance. If Charisma was so important then you'd see Tony Robbins making the pro bowl every year.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

That sounds a lot like Case Keenum.

I don't want Case Keenum.

14. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Jonathan Football

1 person likes this.
  15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If Case was was athletic and had a strong arm. I don't know how Case and Tajh are really that similar except being short.

16. JayZ750

It's not just charisma, though that's a part of it... it's principally LEADERSHIP.

Despite all the talk leading up, the one thing that stood out pretty much immediately (well, right after immediately...right after the great opening return), was that the team was scared. From Casey's dropped pass, to Schaub's then completely r****ded miss of a wide open AJ, it got worse from there.

And that does start with Schaub and permeate the locker room. Schaub wasn't horrible, as many have noted, but you don't just decide to throw away a ball when no one is within 25 yards of you unless you're scared (off getting hit, of throwing an interception... I don't know?). You don't take off running at super slow speed to only immediately just lose the ball unless you're scared.

Conversely, look at Wilson and his impact from a leadership perspective. Read the articles and stories about how he is the clear leader of the team, how he manages the huddle, how they were at halftime of the game yesterday, etc.

I absolutely think mental makeup has a enormous effect. Again, outside of Trent Dilfer for the 200 Ravens, I can't think of a single superbowl QB winner who didn't have a meaningfully better mental makeup than Schaub does. They may also be more talented anyway... but I'd argue Schaub's mental deficiency is a bigger issue than his talent deficiency (arm strength, lack of speed, etc.).

Wilson, RG3, Luck, Kapernick - all 4 guys you knew RIGHT AWAY that they not only had the talent, but they had the leadership qualities you need in a top flight QB.

17. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

How about this.

Let's plant Matt Schaub's brain into David Carr's body.

Carr had physical tools. A strong arm, mobility, could roll out.
    Schaub could figure football out. He just needed that scooter.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Do you know a good surgeon?

19. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

You do realize that the Texans had the ball for over 31 minutes compared the Patriots 28 minutes, right?

Do you think TOP really makes any difference when our defense gives up 7 points in two minutes?

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

12-4 and second round is not mediocre.