1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans offered #3 pick to Jets

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by countingcrow, Mar 24, 2003.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

From ESPN Insider:

If you thought that after mulling over the offer sheets the Washington Redskins made to kick returner Chad Morton and receiver Laveranues Coles, the Jets were done making tough offseason choices, think again. Gang Green was faced with another difficult decision Sunday when the Houston Texans dangled the third overall pick in the draft for running back LaMont Jordan and the No.13 pick. The Texans have been trying to unload the pick for quite some time, and the Jets matched the team's needs perfectly. They had a backup running back that was capable of starting and they had a pair of first round picks. The Jets were also a team that was a playoff team last year and would possibly consider themselves one major impact player away from contending for the Super Bowl.

Still, the Jets passed, and it was a wise decision. Not that the Jets wouldn't have found a true difference maker at No.3, but despite winning the AFC East last year, the Jets are more than just one player away, and they should be able to land two quality prospects with the 13th and 22nd picks in the first round.

"I don't think there's a guy there we would be willing to give up two players to get," general manager Terry Bradway told the New York Daily News. "That could change. There is a chance we could move up a couple spots and give up maybe a third and still have two No. 1s," he said. "There are some options, but it is way too early. I like the flexibility."

That may be true, but it's likely the main reason the team chose not to do the deal was that Jordan is too valuable for the Jets to give up. Curtis Martin has averaged 326 carries a season since entering the league in 1995, and last year ankle injuries slowed him down for much of the year. But there is a chance that he won't return to the form that made him one of the games best, albeit underrated, rushers.

Martin turns 30 in May, and with 2,941 rushing and receiving touches, he's coming to a point in a running back's career where slowing down is an inevitability. But the Jets have a great insurance policy in Jordan. In 2001, Jordan rushed for 292 yards on only 32 carries. Last year his numbers were less eye-popping, but he still showed enough that there is little doubt he'll be an effective starter when his time comes.

Also, by keeping the picks, they could address their lack of speed at linebacker, or they could get a quality defensive tackle to help in the interior.

But parting ways with Jordan will not be a part of any plan for the team this offseason, and in reality, maybe that's not such a tough decision.

2. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

John McClain stated that the Texans would most likely draft Terrell Suggs from Arizona State if they keep the pick. I read this in his column in the Sunday edition of The Houston Chronicle.

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've never heard of this Lamont Jordan character...is he any good?

4. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

He's a tough runner, not really that fast though. Perhaps a very poor man's Emmitt Smith?

Either way, I don't think that would have been a good trade for the Texans.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

Sounds like a bad trade for the Texans to me.

6. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I don't see the logic, but I'm not Charlie...LJ and a #3 for #13...:eek:

LJ is good, but I think Wells will be better than LJ soon, real soon...

All he needs is a O-line, and I think it'll shape up before Training Camp...

7. drapg

drapg Member

I love Lamont Jordan. I thought he would be untradeable, seeing how great he performed when Martin was out.

I would love to do this deal

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

This came from the NY press? About as trustworthy as having heard it here.

The Jets couldn't get two quality guys at 3 and 22, but they could at 13 and 22? Huh? Explain, please, I don't understand. Perhaps I misread, perhaps I misjudge the great New Yawk scribes.

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

i don't necessarily agreewith his point, but i think what he means is they'd get two quality guys at #13 and 22 and get to keep lamont jordan.

10. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

The Texans' draft board should look like this:

1. Terrance Newman
    2. Terrell Suggs
    3. Jimmy Kennedy

11. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I think our pass rush is our most important need and our secondary is much less important... especially if we get Keon Carpenter (still available?).

I also think this trade would've been bad for the Texans. I think that the running back from JVille (mack) would be just as effective as Jordan but we wouldn't have to give up that high a pick.

I think Suggs would be a brilliant move. I think it (along with Carpenter) would make an average defense good.

12. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

If Suggs runs around a 4.5 (which is VERY possible), then there will be a long line of suitors who may be interested in the #3 pick.

I think the Texans will be cheering for Suggs to do well. If he does well, they will be happy to trade the pick, which they've wanted to do for a while. Or, they keep the pick and get a guy who can fly from the OLB position (where he'd fit in the 3-4).

Either way, the Texans can't lose if Suggs performs well. If he does poorly, then the Texans lose trade leverage, as well as having to "settle" for whoever they draft at #3.

13. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Man Im sure they can get more for the #3 pick than the #13 pick and an average running back. Casserly could have atleast asked for Santana Moss.

14. PhiSlammaJamma

Detroit could still screw this up, crossing fingers, crossing fingers.

15. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Jordan > Moss, FYI

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I think putting trust in capable backup RBs is always a risk, Its worked out for teams like Seattle to dump their aging RB and go with the youth, The Rams had Trung Canidate and Lamar Gordan last season, The Bears started using Leon Johnson when Anthony Thomas wasn't producing, Jacksonville had Stacey Mack, The Raiders with Ty Wheatley, Zack Crockett as "Role Runners". Even nabbing a so called "adequate" RB pays off big time for some teams, (Priest Holmes and the Chiefs) Gotta think the Jets did the right thing here, and if they get Boss Bailey at 22 watch out.

17. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

So you would take Jordan over Santana Moss? You must haven't seen Moss play. Jordan was nothing special at Maryland and he is an average RB now. Moss will be a pro bowler in the next year or so.

18. Possum

Possum Member

Check again.

19. Possum

Possum Member

Jordan completed a fine career in which he set school and ACC records. During his stay, he set Maryland career records for rushing (4,147), all-purpose yardage (4960), all-purpose attempts (888) and 100-yard games (18).

As a senior, he rushed for 920 yards on 213 carries and 11 TDs, starting nine of eleven games. He had four 100-yard games including 114 against Florida State. It was just the third time in five years a runner went over 100 yards rushing against FSU; Jordan accomplished it twice and Thomas Jones did it once. Jordan's senior season started slowly when he missed training camp in August due to academic problems that were resolved. Operating behind a young offensive line that had two new starters, he was keyed on every game after a big '99 effort. As a junior, he had an outstanding season when he rushed for 1,632 yards on 266 carries for an impressive 6.1-yard average and 16 TDs. That was good for second place in the ACC behind Thomas Jones and included a great finale vs. Virginia when he rushed for 306 yards on 37 carries.

20. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I don't think you've watched Moss play...

He was an exciting player at Miami, but hasn't done much of anything in the NFL.

30 catches and 433 receiving yards...

:rolleyes: