1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans not going WR in the first round?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by SuperS32, Apr 26, 2012.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Yao Ming called and wants his tag line back.

AJ hasn't been healthy...I don't think that's going to improve. I'm really cool with the organization looking for his replacement as soon as possible.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

A linsfranc fracture is cause for lingering concern.

A pulled hamstring or sprained ankle are not.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

His health issueS are being wildly overblown - exhibit A: you labeled his random injuries "issues" as if he has a recurring problem. He suffered no lingering effects from the 2010 ankle injury last year; why is everyone convinced his hamstrings won't also heal? And why are random ankle and hamstring injuries predictive of more injuries down the road?

They went 5-4 in games he missed completely, 7-4 in games he didn't finish (and that includes four games with TJ Yates at QB; they were 4-2; 5-2 with Schaub).

It's not preferred - but insane? They've reached a point where the offense, as a whole, is better than Andre Johnson.

I would suspect they agree with you. But those guys are dime a dozen-ish. They have a system that elevates players; they don't necessarily have to find players to rise above the system.

Denver won back-to-back Super Bowls using this very system, built around Terrell Davis (6th round), Rod Smith (UFA), Ed McCaffery (3rd round), Shannon Sharpe (7th round) and, of course, Elway (nearly 20 years after being the #1 overall pick).

4. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

DonnyMost and Hey Now! are the SAME person :eek:

5. DonnyMost

IIRC, Ric doesn't agree with taking a WR in the top 3 rounds, while I fully support that notion.

6. Hey Now!

Yeah, I'm at a loss when this spiraled out of control. He had no issues with his ankle last year. And with a full offseason of rest and rehab... his hamstrings should be 100% come July.

And neither is predictative of future injuries. Further, in the 22 games he played with/around the injuries these last two years, he's more or less been the Andre Johnson of old.

7. Hey Now!

Duuuuuuuuuude. Uncool alert.

8. DonnyMost

Sorry, I hate your new username (I'm against the concept of people changing names, anyway), and I refuse to call you by it.

9. thegary

okay, maybe not the same but luuuuuuuvers ;)

10. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

donny i got to hand it to you, you don't give up.

11. Hey Now!

Cool, DonnyMost; appreciate your understanding.

12. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Noncontact leg injuries in aging players at a position calling for top tier speed, explosiveness, and cutting is absolutely cause for concern.

13. thegary

my feeling is that we have a strong nucleus and just need to plug certain areas. i would love to take a wr, i just don't want us to reach.

14. DonnyMost

"Noncontact leg injuries" are not all the same.

Pulled hamstring is nothing compared to a torn ligament.

Let's not purposefully try to confuse the issue.

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

exactly. I think a first rounder for who was available would have been a reach. Depending on who is there in the 2nd, i think that could be a reach. I'm more than happy choosing best talent available than feel pressured to take a WR who they aren't as high on.

16. thegary

i don't even mind them moving up if a player they love is to be had. it's a giant crap shoot, but if you feel strongly about someone, go for it.

17. Hey Now!

Especially given the unique circumstances of last year's truncated offseason, when A LOT of players (including our newly-minted $18MM running back) suffered pulls. Knowshon Moreno, Miles Austin....

I've not heard a single peep about it since he returned last December. There is is absolutely no indication it'll be a factor moving forward.

18. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I'm a health sciences guy, I'm definitely not confused about this. They aren't all the same, but you're largely looking at differences in severity and how quickly the tissue can heal. That hammy never fully recovered last year, and it didn't happen because of a fluke play - it happened because the hamstring couldn't hold up under the stress Andre put on it. That should be very alarming when we're talking about a 30 year old #1 WR. Those soft tissue injuries slowly rob a player of his burst.

If anything, the ankle is a little less concerning because it was more the result of a fluke play, and can be somewhat protected with taping. Ditto with Schaub's foot - fluke play caused it.

19. cardpire

cardpire Member

if you are saying that a pulled hamstring doesn't increase your risk for hamstring re-injury in the future, you simply have no idea what you are talking about. but, what's new?

20. Hey Now!

So we're going to dimiss the unique circumstances of last season, dimiss the many other players that similiarly suffered hamstring injuries related to those unique circumstances and jump directly to fear and panic that his career could possibly be derailed? Can we at least wait until, you know, the injury reoccurs before we go all, "Yao Ming called"? Oops, too late......