1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans not going WR in the first round?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by SuperS32, Apr 26, 2012.

1. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

I'm fine with not going WR in the first, because I think the Texans can get a good value WR in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. I'm not sold on going OLB in the 1st though, because although pass rushing is at a premium, the OLBs that would be available at 26 (unless McClellin falls to there) are too one dimensional as strictly pass rushers. Guys like Perry and Upshaw are questionable against the run, and likely to get overpowered by OTs.

While I'm not sold on him completely, I personally think if Fleener is there at 26, he offers the offense something they need (a matchup nightmare that can attack the middle of the field and open up holes in the defensive backfield) and should be the pick. They don't pay me to make the decisions though unfortunately.

2. solid

solid Contributing Member

The Texans are a Houston Sports Franchise, check.

This is draft night, check.

There can only be one conclusion: SHOCK.

If history serves us correctly, tonight there will be shock, disappointment, and anger. Then slight moderation. Much head shaking, a Houston tradition. Seriously, do you recall many times when that wasn't the case?

3. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

You can squash this thread now......haha Walter Football, get some better sources!

[​IMG]

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

There goes Bruce Irvin.

5. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

Supposedly the promise was that they would pick Irvin IF HE WAS THERE. Clearly he was not there. Not saying the Texans made the promise, but Lunardi may have been right and the rumor itself may have forced the Seahawks to reach instead of trade down more.

6. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Pass rusher! Had a feeling it would be.

7. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

guess the focus is on defense more? :confused:

8. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm totally on board with Whitney in the first(very good pick)since we didn't move up for an impact WR like Floyd. But the Texans better address WR #2 via FA and not the draft...seeing as our window is now and we need a known commodity opposite Andre (esp. considering his health of late). Yes, there are cap considerations, but I'm assuming the Texans have planned accordingly. Grab one in the 2nd or 3rd to be groomed ...Just take care of business.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Anybody here you consider a reasonable upgrade over Kevin Walter?

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency

I think it's time people sober up and realize that we're heading into next year with the same 1st, 2nd, and 3rd WRs as we did last year.

Which is just fine with me, provided we replace Dressen.

10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

We can pick up just about any WR off the scrap heap to improve our WR core.

11. DonnyMost

I linked you to the scrap heap.

Please, tell us which scraps you want and why.

I'm honestly curious.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

don't think there's a chance we use a 2nd round pick on a WR?

13. DonnyMost

Absolutely there is, in fact, I think it's highly likely.

But I don't think that guy would end up starting immediately.

14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Looking at that list ....Colston, Meachem, Wallace RFA, Robinson, Jackson

There are guys that are desirable, but they all have their shortcomings...from signability, $$$, size, headcase factor, injuries....

How about a trade, Donny?

Personally, I'm not OK going in with what we have.

We NEED someone IMO who can step right in....play the 2 and be some kind of insurance should (heaven forbid) Andre run into more problems.

15. DonnyMost

I was talking about available/unsigned players only.

Then you're wishing upon a star. We're probably less likely to land somebody via trade than we are to hit a homerun with a rookie that comes in and sets the world on fire.

Why everybody is panicking because we don't have a suitable replacement for AJ right now is hilarious to me. Does any team with a top 5 WR have a guy who could step in and immediately take his place? That's crazy talk. Not to mention the drama over the fact that our 4th offensive weapon is Kevin Walter, there are a ton of teams who wish KW was their 4th option on offense.

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Why? Legitimate question. Their passing game is not geared around their 2nd or 3rd WR. They're often Schaub's 4/5/6th option on any given down.

I've beat this drum all offseason: I promise you - the Texans do not share your concern with their WR corps. Walter is going to start - you can mark that down in ink. He's too integral to the running game for them to sacrifice whatever the receiving upgrade would be. I'm sure they'd be open to upgrading Jacoby Jones - but, again: he's not an integral part of this offense. Johnson, Daniels, Foster, TE2, Walter and Casey are all better, preferred options in the passing game.

As long as Schaub and Johnson are healthy, the passing game will be perfectly OK. Always has been. I'm mystified by this concern for it. Heck, it hummed right along *without* Johnson last year.

I would wager TE, OL, DL, OLB and CB (in no order) ranked as higher priorities for them entering the draft. If a good WR they've graded highly falls to them (or those other positions are depleted), I'm sure they'd pull the trigger. But I don't see 'em reaching for one, and, frankly - I don't see 'em drafting one tonight. I really don't.

17. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

While I'm happy the Texans took [insert whatever Wade Phillips wants regardless of position] in the first round, I do think they need to find more weapons. This offense has three - Andre, Daniels, Foster - who can't be counted on to stay healthy for an entire season. If Jacoby had lived up to expectations, he'd make four. But he hasn't.

So if they go receiver, I say go for a big play guy ala Torrey Smith last year who defenses have to prepare for with or without Andre Johnson. Hill fits that description, but might not be there. Fleener does too, as does Brian Quick. Otherwise, I say go Oline a take a guy like Broyles or Fuller later in the draft.

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

When healthy, they start 4 Pro Bowlers: the best RB in football, a top 5 WR, a top 10 QB and a well above-average TE. And Walter, Jones and Casey have all shown flashes of being able to contribute (as did Dressen). I mean... they have an ABUNDANCE of offensive weapons. Please name a team with more/better ones. The Giants, I guess... maybe the Eagles, Cowboys and Packers... possibly the Lions; the Bears are pretty good; the Falcons, maybe the Saints....

That's 8 teams and I'm not sure I'd deal Schaub/Foster/Johnson/Daniels for any of their top 4. We are stacked. More is nice, of course - but please stop pretending its not enough.

19. Nero

Nero Member

Ummm... Not a whole lot we can do about Schaub, hopefully his injury was just a fluke thing. But Johnson has made everyone acutely aware that he has health issues, and it is pure foolishness to just assume he will be healthy for the entire season.

We CANNOT go into the season with only Jones and Walter as the WR complements to Johnson, that is insanity.

Not only must we draft a WR, we must draft a GOOD one. Not necessarily a guy who will come in and start right away, or set the world on fire from day one (which I say, looking at Donny - does that mean we shouldn't draft one at ALL?? smh), but a guy who has a high IQ, good work ethic, good talent, and who can be pressed into service if needed and be reasonably expected to produce, at least better than the utter waste that is Jones.

20. DonnyMost

S M H