1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans match offer for David Anderson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Khal80, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Khal80

Khal80 Contributing Member

2. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Happy for DA, but that's a lot of money locked up in WRs (AJ, KW, AD, and DA), not to mention JJ. I hope the other areas of the team that need an upgrade (LB and Secondary) can still be addressed.

3. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

why do we sign scrubs

4. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Contributing Member

Good news. I love DA. Dude works hard, catches everything, and is not afraid to go across the middle. Good #3 receiver.

5. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

He's very productive and we get to see the Conan string dance.

6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

sweet. it's really not a lot of money...not sure why you'd call it that. It's not much more than twice the league minimum?

I'll take that for a very solid fill-in, a strong sub, and good depth at the position in an offense where we'll be throwing a good amount

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

He'll be our #4.

1.5 million for a #4...We could easily get a replacement via the draft for half the price.

Oh well, I like him.

8. kaleidosky

It's not about percentages at this low value...it's about absolute cost. $750k in the grand scheme? Not that much. $750k to have a much more reliable guy than a late-round rookie? (see: Jacoby Jones if you're wondering about reliability of rookie WR's) Yeah, not that much

9. Summer Song Giver

I like the kid for all the reasons Legend Killer mentioned, I see no reason he could not split time depending on situations with Andre Davis in three wide receiver sets.

10. yobod

yobod Member

Because those "scrubs" are incredibly hard-working, productive, efficient players that help make the Texans offense so potent. If Andersen was such a scrub, why did the Broncos sign him to such a lucrative offer sheet? Other teams recognize a player who's willing to put in the necessary effort to become a successful receiver. Not every player on your team has to be a loud-mouthed, prima donna "superstar" in order to win football games. Just ask Cowboy fans.

11. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

12. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

probably either Andre Davis gets cut or Jacoby gets traded for a draft pick now...

13. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

Most likely Jacoby gets traded.

14. kaleidosky

Not sure what we're paying Davis, but if it's anything remotely cheap, he shouldn't be cut.. relatively productive guy.

Please trade Jacoby for anything..

15. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

He signed a 4 year deal for about 16-17 mil with like 6 or 7 mil signing bonus last season. Probably he won't be cut b/c of the salary cap hit with the signing bonus counting towards the cap instead of being spread out

16. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Anderson was making like $1 million last season. Now he'll be making $500k more than that. He's productive for his role and could be just what the doctor ordered if a guy like Walter gets injured (or, God forbid, Dre).

If people are really having to nitpick signings like this to find something to complain about with this team, maybe we're even better than I thought.

17. kaleidosky

seriously.. i am definitely better the OVER if it's 8 wins when i get to vegas in a couple of weeks..

18. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Unless Anderson's game takes a dramatic step up from last season I doubt we will be replacing Andre Davis with Anderson full time. Kid is a good WR but in the regular season, he still hasn't done much to stand out beyond the string dance.

19. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I like Anderson because he's a tough dude who works hard and is reliable...but you cant possibly tell me that he isnt easily replaceable. He's not necessarily fast...he doesnt have great size. He works his butt off and catches balls. I like him a lot. And yes, the difference between 750K and 1.5 million isnt much, but its still something. Im not complaining about matching the offer at all...Im indifferent to it, but I dont think we are better off or worse off on the field as a result. I just think we lose a bit financially.

I was just looking at next years (2010) salary cap figures...Mario is going to count 16 million against the cap, lol, which is double the 2nd highest paid player (AJ at ~8).

We'll have to lock up Kevin Walter next season to keep our receiving corp in place.

20. kaleidosky

he's easily replaceable as a #4 WR, yes.

But should an injury occur, I much prefer him stepping in to question marks that you would find with your 750k that you'd spend otherwise. I don't want a rookie in that spot, nor do I want Jacoby..so I'm assuming a Free Agent. Looking at a short list, who would take 750k? Roydell Williams? Cedrick Wilson? Sam Hurd? Ashley Lelie? I guess I'd take those guys to replace Anderson if he had to be replaced, but I don't think we'd get him at the 750k pricetag you're suggesting he's replaceable for