1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans interested in QB Gray

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Htowns_Finest, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Htowns_Finest

Htowns_Finest Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5635020.html

Free agent quarterback Gray to visit Texans

By MEGAN MANFULL
    Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

The Texans have set up a free agent visit with Jacksonville quarterback Quinn Gray on Sunday at Reliant Stadium.

Gray, 28, is entering his sixth season. He has played in 11 games, starting four, with the Jaguars.

The Texans have carried just two quarterbacks on their active roster the past two seasons, and both Matt Schaub and Sage Rosenfels are slated to return. The Texans are considering carrying three quarterbacks because of league-wide injuries at the position last season. But there is also speculation that the more trade offers could arise for Rosenfels.

Gray won two of his four starts last season. He threw for 302 yards and four touchdowns in a losing effort against the Texans in the season finale.

What do you guys think about Gray?

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Member

Looks like Sage may be on his way out...

3. thech0senone

thech0senone Member

I saw him play a few times last year and he looked like a decent QB. Obviously not as good as Sage. But it looks like the Texans are going to trade Sage and have Gray as the backup which I think would be a pretty good move.

4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

If they trade Sage Rosenfels I will be so pissed.

Matt has proved nothing, except that he cannot play a whole season.

What if we are in playoff hunt and Matt goes down? Sage could step right in without missing a beat. Call the injuries freak accidents or whatever you like, some guys are just "unlucky"

5. gucci888

gucci888 Member

And you've concluded that Schaub is "unlucky" after 1 season? If Schaub has another injury prone season, then maybe you can say he has only proven that he cannot play a whole season. But as of now, it sounds like you're just overreacting IMO.

If we can pick up Gray and get a 3rd rounder for Sage, I would be all over this. I like Sage a lot but Gray would be a good backup and getting a 3rd for Sage would be great value, especially now that we don't have a 2nd and a 6th round pick this year.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

they posted about the same rating last season. both got significant time, sage played more.

I don't understand how it makes any difference, seems like just making a move to make one, unless you keep all three

7. gucci888

gucci888 Member

The fact that the Texans are bringing in Gray indicates that they are thinking about trading Sage. I know the Vikings offered a 3rd rounder for Sage a couple months back, that offer could still be on the table as nothing has changed QB wise for the Vikings.

8. johnmvp

johnmvp Rookie

Just can't seem to find a solid starter to put in there day in and day out.

9. Htowns_Finest

Htowns_Finest Member

Like others have said before, if we can get a 3rd rounder for Sage I will be more than happy. Sage IMO is one of the better backup QB's in the league but I also think Gray is a pretty decent backup QB too. I like the little moves that the Texans are making. With an extra 3rd rounder we can go best player available, and maybe fill some holes in our secondary and our OL.

10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

I would love it if we signed Gray and managed to trade Sage for a 3rd rounder. Rumor was the Texans were holding out for a 2nd rounder back when it was first reported. I'm sort of hoping that the Vikings finally caved and offered their 2nd rounder...or at least offered the 2nd rounder and we throw in a 6th round pick with Sage, or something. Either way, deciding to trade Sage after all is about the only reason I can think of to bring Gray in. Gray looked pretty good against us last season.

11. jtotheb

jtotheb Member

IMO Gray would be a solid signing. If we could get Minnesota's 3rd round pick for Sage I say do it. We need more picks, especially in the first three rounds.

Schaub's going to be ok. He just needs a consistent running game.

12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

You are right he has not proven that he cannot play a whole season.

But he is far from proving he is the QB to go for. Sage has 2 seasons left on his deal. Why deal him this season when you can see how matt does next season? If he plays 8-12 games again then its a really bad sign.

13. msn

msn Member

:)      

14. Two Sandwiches

Quinn Gray is a good, solid backup. If we can sign him and get a second or thrid rounder for Sage. I'm all for it.

Besides, I'd like to see what Sage can do as a starter. He deserves it.

15. jopatmc

jopatmc Member

True. He has not proven that he cannot play a whole season. What he has proven is he cannot play a whole season getting blasted by the defense because of poor pass protection.

FIX THE OFFENSIVE LINE!

16. msn

msn Member

One of his injuries happened after an INT, though.

17. jopatmc

jopatmc Member

Oh, I'm sure. Probably off a scramble after protection broke down.

Face reality. This team has a horrible history of pass protection. Yes, Carr made it much worse because he held the ball so much. And our O-line was better last year. But they still had their moments. It would be interesting to view the vid clip of where Schaub got injured to see if there was an O-line breakdown. I would bet there was, simply because the odds are too high.

18. msn

msn Member

Wasn't denying that. It's just that Schaub had two injuries last year and only one happened on a sack. The other one had nothing whatsoever to do with pass protection.

19. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

Bad protection or not, Carr had terrible protection and set the record for sacks while taking every single snap that year.

Are you telling me Favre never took a hit? He was addicted to pain pills for a reason!

Some guys are injury prone, some are not and everything inbetween is also possible.

The point is QB is the most important position, and you need to be CONFIDENT that your guy is going to be there for the team.

20. jtotheb

jtotheb Member

Mean. Just...mean. :D