1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TEXANS IN-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fantasma Negro, Sep 20, 2023.

1. jch1911

jch1911 Member

you know I love you, bro.... but no more bad news... lol

[​IMG]

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

There is no way the injuries to the O Line are real at this point.

I have never seen it worse in a position group.

3rd string across the board.

3. Fantasma Negro

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I would, too. But I wouldn't take an elite pass rusher over a top 5-10 prospect + a top 10 prospect + a top 30 prospect + a top 80 prospect. Not on this team, at least.

5. Hey Now!

Right? He blocks a (as it turns out, pretty meaningless) FG and suddenly, the Texans win the trade?....

Also, it is very possible to a) love having Will Anderson; b) dislike the transaction that brought him here. Like... no one is rooting for him to be anything other than the next Myles Garrett. But, because of how much they paid for him, he kind of has to be...

I never said that - but, again - as you pointed out: Anderson needs to not just be good but elite/great for the trade to look anything other than a gross - and irresponsible, given the current state of the franchise - overpay.

Two Sandwiches and justtxyank like this.
  6. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

You and I likely just have different views about Will Anderson Jr. For me, he was the clear #1 prospect in the 2023 draft, and now that we don't need a QB, there isn't anyone close to him in the 2024 draft either. IMO, he's that good of a prospect. So yes, I think a generational pass rushing prospect like him is worth all the Texans gave up, and, frankly, more.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  7. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Looks like Davante Adams could be on the move... https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allb...-possible-trade-destination-for-davante-adams

While I would love DA on our team, his cost and age probably don't make much sense for our timeline. However, if as SI suggests the Bengals are a destination, they may jettison Tee Higgins at a reasonable rate. He didn't look great last game, but adding him would give CJ another big weapon. Thoughts?

cmoak1982 likes this.
  8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yes to Tee, no to Adams

Shark44 likes this.
  9. Houston77

Supporting Member

While I like Higgins, he’s a FA next season, and I don’t think he would warrant the franchise tag.

10. Hey Now!

All of that can be true. But the 2023 Texans were not an elite pass rusher away from being good. Not even close. That's the issue. They have needs up & down their roster, and trading the possibility of adding four high-end prospects for one was a poor allocation of assets. And that's before you factor in the fact Caserio's first two drafts were pretty awful. So you're not adding Anderson to a collection of promising draft picks. You still need to draft talent and you were handed a way to do that and Caserio flushed it.

11. Houston77

Supporting Member

This isn’t the NBA. You don’t spend 3 - 4 years in a “process.” At least, not after you draft a potential franchise QB. History has shown the two ways to transition between QBs are (1) draft one and let him sit for a couple years behind an older franchise QB, or (2) hit the gas immediately upon drafting a QB while he is on his rookie contract.

12. Hey Now!

Right. And how is trading four high-end - including two elite - prospects for one hitting the gas? They have crippled their available resources to build around Stroud.

13. Qan

Qan Member

Texans are going to have a ton of cap space next year. They need to go out and sign good players while Stroud is in his rookie contract. Good veterans will have a more immediate impact on the team. Texans still have plenty of picks next year. I'm not too worry about it.

14. conquistador#11

So true. Plus Demeco needs that style of edge to run his defense.

Also, people are assuming the Cardinals pick will automatically be a top 5 pick. Best way to make up for that Arizona pick is to have another draft where you find a Dell, Henry and a Patterson following your first 2 picks.
    Which is also why I haven't soured on Nick. Pitre is viewed by players around the league to be a star in the making, Pierce was a Roy candidate, Harris is a contributor and while Metchie wasn't the receiver I had in mind, Stroud can turn Metchie to what his fanboys were telling me he was during the draft.

15. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

16. Houston77

Supporting Member

Exactly. You can add all the pieces you want. Like an offense without a franchise QB, DeMeco’s D doesn’t work without a franchise pass rusher.

17. conquistador#11

That cracked me up when I saw it. I was about to say, Tunsil's knees look fine. Then he turns around and I see he has a beard. It would have been funnier if it was Tunsil launching those Westbrook shots.

ROXRAN, desihooper and red5rocket like this.
  18. CKent

CKent Member

To be fair it looks to me like the basket is on the opposite end of the backboard. So the player is shooting it with an abnormally high arc to try and sink a backwards shot.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  19. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I’ve got a more positive cynical take on it:

By making the trade for Will Anderson, we ensured 1 great pick because it was the consensus pick. The picks we gave up probably would have been less consensus and therefore more likely that caserio ruined them.

I’ll take Will Anderson over Stingley, Kenyon Green, and Ross Blacklock every day of the week.

20. conquistador#11

It also looks like it has no net. I can never make a shot in netless rims. It throws me off like Astros at home.