1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TEXANS IN-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fantasma Negro, Sep 20, 2023.

1. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

The call was fine…Stroud learned a valuable lesson about situational awareness.

ROCKSS, Shark44 and raining threes like this.
  2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I would have preferred to keep the clock running. We were running the ball just fine against Cincy. I wanted to see if you could get the first down...but if you don't, at least you keep the clock running forcing Cincy to burn a timeout before you punt it away.

If it had been a previous week where we weren't running well, I might think differently...but we were gashing Cincy.

Shark44, raining threes and whag00 like this.
  4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Yeah the call was fine. CJ just legit didn't see the defender, like, at all. That will happen in football, sometimes a dude is just not visible through the chaos. The timing was terrible but it's beyond anyone's control.

raining threes and whag00 like this.
  5. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

6. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Damn you hate to see it.

raining threes likes this.
  7. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

And just like that, the season is over in Cincy.

raining threes likes this.
  8. conquistador#11

Stroud, like he always does, talked to the guy that got the int. Britt said he knew what the play was going to be. Lol I like that most of the opponents talk to him for critique like it's art class.

only 3 minutes and 39 seconds remained and the Bengals had 1 timeout plus the 2 minute warning. I didn't like it. Nice that Slo' didn't like it afterwards. But knowing what we all know and how absent minded Defensive Coordinators become in the 2 minute drill, I get why they attempted it.

Alternate Scenario:

Texans run the ball and it's now 4th down with 2:55 plus the 4 second hang time, then the return from the punt, Clock is at 2:45 seconds from the 30. Bengals would have to go 70 yards in a minute without using their timeout. Burrow can do it. So I'll pencil him in for a TD.

Now the Texans receive the ball with 1minute and 55 seconds, Texans run the ball. Bengals immediately call their last time out. Texans run again, 1:10 remain. 3rd down, Texan run it again, 35 seconds remain. Burrow has to get in FG range in 35 seconds.

The Good with this scenario:
    *If Burrow takes more than a minute and has to use their last time out to score the first TD. The game is over. For comparison, Stroud had to use his 2 timeouts in the 75yrd drive vs Tampa.
    * Stroud's passer rating is 112+, the int doesn't exist.

The Bad with this scenario:
    *No time for a Texans game winning drive should Burrow execute to perfection.

Lesson to learn: go into Peyton Manning fetal position. No need to be the hero.

However, I'll take the risk of Burrow having to be perfect when the lead is 10 pts. The score should have really been 34-17 with victory formation. Oh well.

9. raining threes

I don't have an issue with the play call. If it's not there Stroud just needs to go down, take the loss of yds and either make Taylor use his last timeout, or run time off of the clock. Then punt the ball away, the punter is really good.There was only 3:18 on the clock. Stroud will learn from his mistakes. I just hope Slowik keeps showing this type of trust in Stroud.

10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Did I miss it earlier? SI shows the 12/3 Bronco game being moved to the 3 PM time slot

11. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

That game always has been in the 3pm slot, since the release of the schedule back in May.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I missed it then. I thought they all wound up being 12 CT starts.

13. kpdark

kpdark Member

14. percicles

Kareem Jackson might be getting a call this week. Habitual offender so he might be stay back in Denver when we play them WK 13.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He was suspended 4 games earlier this season (reduced to 2) and is probably the dirtiest player in the NFL when it comes to using his helmet as a weapon. I think the NFL needs to make an example of him now.

16. percicles

it was so obviously coming

17. raining threes

Are they playing football?

This is the God'ell NFL.

18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

damn wtf is he doing??

19. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Tackling the QB, who thought he was a running back.

He is going to get suspended and to be honest I am happy as Kareem has put some nasty hits on Houston players in the past.

20. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

He won't be penalized any more or less because Dobbs was a runner instead of a QB. The issue is leading with the helmet and particularly hitting the head. There isn't even the normal question of whether the runner started ducking after the tackle was started creating the situation.