1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans hire Lovie Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, Feb 7, 2022.

1. conquistador#11

Agree with most of Clint's tweet except it's more like the previous 15 days not 13 months.

raining threes likes this.
  2. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

You might want to read the tweet again.

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Or maybe he was told he wouldn't be hired for this staff...because....optics again.

I don't understand why fans are still outraged about McCown. I don't think he's trying to "cut the line" or whatever the hell people are calling it. I think that he hasn't been offered a job, but has garnered interest based on his reputation. Caserio and Easterby are the only ones crazy enough to entertain hiring him right now and Flores prevented that, essentially. Doesn't make McCown a bad person or someone that doesn't want to work.

By all indications, he was offered an assistant gog last year and turned it down to coach his sons and enjoy retirement for a year. Who could blame him? I'd love to do that myself.

This year is different. He was serious about coaching and one team was going to offer him. That was the Texans and they were the outlier. It ended up with him not being offered.

If your job offered you to be CEO, even though you were inexperienced, but promised you a huge pay raise and at least three years of work, all the while blowing smoke up your ass about how great they think you are, would you take it? (Not directed at you @TheRealist137 , just a hypothetical question)

Don't blame McCown here. I think people that are, are being somewhat ignorant. If you want to blame anyone, blame it on the effed up front office we have.

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

5. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

"Most people in the league" is doing a lot of work.

6. Two Sandwiches

Maybe most is not accurate, but substitute "many" and it fits a little better.

BMoney likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

"Longtime backup QB" is a solid start for a coaching resume. He's been a part of 13 pro teams (and HCs, and OCs and etc...), so when "people" say he could make a good coach, I don't discount that.

Not advocating him to be a HC now, just saying.

8. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

He realizes at least one team will fast track him. It's not like he's a black candidate trying to get hired or anything.

BigShasta and raining threes like this.
  9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I’m sure there’s been somebody in NFL history who’s done what McCown is trying to do… but can anybody name them (and did they have much success)?

conquistador#11 and Rudyc281 like this.
  10. raining threes

Norm Van Brocklin

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Was a tremendous starter. If Tom Brady or Peyton Manning wanted to be a head coach after they retired, I’m sure they would have a job.

Frank Reich was perhaps the most heralded backup QB in NFL history… and he still paid his dues.

The real answer… different sport… and fictional…. Is Lou Brown. Went from selling tires or mufflers and managed back to back pennant winning teams (albeit the 2nd season he had a heart attack).

Colt45 likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

Larry Dierker

Colt45 and raining threes like this.
  13. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Great. McCown should be a coach. Somewhere. It is absurd to even consider anyone for an NFL head coaching job with no other coaching experience.

eliefor3 likes this.
  14. conquistador#11

He said this in another interview also but it's worth seeing it another time.
    basically coach saying :Hey Nick, F' your EA sports Head Coach dreams.
    [​IMG]

charlieaustin likes this.
  15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Now it’s just a matter of how many games we get through before the backstabbing begins.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

God and all creation knew Culley was a stooge hire so of course he didn't have total control over his staff.

Not great reporting or insights there, Clint.

raining threes likes this.
  17. raining threes

This happens in dysfunctional orgs.

18. Two Sandwiches

Lovie Smith is the coach this franchise deserves. A lifetime mediocre coach who couldn't win in college. Only hired here because of the optics.

As a new head coach, what kind of a call is that to punt for a tie? You afraid to lose? Think it will cost you a playoff spot later on down the line?

You have a young quarterback that isn't playing well in these situations. I still some confidence in him and your team as a new coach and let them go for it. Instead, you punt it?

What a terrible terrible call. I hope he gets called out all week. I want to see him have to defend that call every day this week.

Piss poor coach for a piss poor franchise. They deserve him and he deserves them. The fans deserve better.

19. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

20. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Taking a big picture view is not in your wheelhouse is it?