1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Texans hire Lovie Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, Feb 7, 2022.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Rappaport Just now on tv: Texans finalizing deal with Lovie Smith to be next head coach.

tinman, Rudyc281 and ROXRAN like this.
  2. Mattician

Mattician Member

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. justtxyank

If you watch the video...they sell this exactly like Bush sold picking Cheney as his VP. Cheney sat in on all the VP discussions to make recommendations and then Bush came to him and said "I choose you."

ExTexanNowEastCoast and Nook like this.
  5. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

What!?!?!? Nooo!!!!! No McCown!?!??

6. treyk3

treyk3 Member

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I bet that deal is being written in crayon.

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Don't worry. This was done to get him on the staff. He'll be taking over soon.

9. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Dude I was totally kidding.

10. Major

Major Member

My bet is McCown won't be on the staff.

11. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Congrats Lovie ! You earned this promotion and are a great choice - I’m behind you and excited for what good will happen - let’s get the coaches filled in including Pep at OC

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

13. justtxyank

Yeah I don't know. Rap said on the Macafee show that he expects McCown to be on staff, but can't "predict the NFL." Lovie is close with McCown.

if McCown has an option somewhere else, that's probably better for him to be honest.

14. a time to chill

Lovie Smith went from being someone that Caserio and Easterby consulted with about the candidates they were interviewing to becoming the hire. It's so obvious this was a last minute scramble after the Flores lawsuit because their plan all along was to hire McCown.

15. Major

Major Member

Agreed on the last sentence. But beyond that, assuming the reports that Pep Hamilton will be OC are true, you interview someone multiple times as your head coach and then offer him a job as ... QB coach? That's just kind of insulting. Goes back my opinion from last year - anyone who has options anywhere else will go elsewhere. If McCown is as highly regarded as people seem to think, I think he could get a QB coach level position pretty easily somewhere.

Edit: The scenario where I can see him coming to the Texans is as OC, because that's an opportunity he probably doesn't have anywhere else.

BMoney likes this.
  16. justtxyank

Very interested to see the staff that gets finalized.

Rod Marinelli a potential DC hire. Don't think Lovie's son is ready for that gig yet.
    They need to hire a LB coach
    Does McCown get hired as QB coach?
    Mike Munchak a possibility still for OL? He was mentioned as a possible coach under Gannon.

Houstunna, Rudyc281 and ROXRAN like this.
  17. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Process was a complete joke, but the outcome isn’t that bad. It makes more sense than Culley did last year at least.

Players love him. The D was pretty solid all things considered. He’s had success as an NFL HC. I give him a pass on being a terrible college coach. Most options are unproven assistants. Flores was the exception but someone who just put the last owner and last HC who hired him square in the middle of a messy lawsuit isn’t a realistic option. Not to mention the concerns about friction with his young QB and staff members.

18. justtxyank

The ONLY reason I could see him accepting the role here is that he and Lovie are very close. So I could see him buying in as a mentorship situation under Lovie with a planned succession to HC. But could also see him saying screw you, like you said.

I think going elsewhere is better for him though regardless of what you think of the Texans because it takes the pressure off of him and the organization that will exist if he's on staff.

Rudyc281 and Major like this.
  19. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Closest thing I have to a cogent response.

Kim, basso and dmoneybangbang like this.
  20. a time to chill

If Lovie's really taking the job, I hope he's taking the McNairs to the cleaners and getting all his money guaranteed to be the front man for this clown show.