1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans hire DeMeco Ryans as Head Coach

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Jan 31, 2023.

?

Do you like the hire of DeMeco Ryans?

This poll will close on Jan 31, 2025 at 3:26 PM.
  1. YES

97.1%
  2. NO

2.9%
  1. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

There we go. First domino has fallen. Now let’s get that OC!

UTSA2step and Rudyc281 like this.
  2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Given that this guy has never crossed paths with Demeco professionally before, and that he was the Cardinals DL coach last year, it feels like JJ Watt may have had something to do with this.

3. Fantasma Negro

UTSA2step, Rudyc281 and mikol13 like this.
  4. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

I have no idea who this dude is but I like that he has been a defensive coordinator before. He should be able to take quite a bit off of Demeco's plate.

UTSA2step and Rudyc281 like this.
  5. SuraGotMadHops

I just love the fact that DeMeco is hiring a DC. Even though it's not uncommon, I never liked it when coaches that are former coordinators decide not to hire their own coordinator on one side of the ball and just handle it themselves (like Lovie just did with no DC). It is so much better in my opinion for the head coach to have coordinators on both sides, and free him up to think more globally for game prep, and to be able to focus on war time decisions during the game itself.

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Who? Plus, who tf is this Kray guy being hired as chief of staff?

Shark44 likes this.
  7. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Does he get bored? Dude seems to bounce around a lot. Some of this is natural progression but…

Rudyc281 and Fantasma Negro like this.
  8. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Good question. My experience with CoS in the military and now commercial world has been weird. In the military a CoS is usually the person running a staff for a General Officer, similar to what's described here on Wiki... "In general, a chief of staff provides a buffer between a chief executive and that executive's direct-reporting team. The chief of staff generally works behind the scenes to solve problems, mediate disputes, and deal with issues before they are brought to the chief executive. Often chiefs of staff act as a confidant and advisor to the chief executive, acting as a sounding board for ideas. Ultimately the actual duties depend on the position and the people involved."

In my corporate experience, our CoS was a buddy to the CEO and did some special projects, nothing like the above role. Thankfully, that has been discontinued with our new CEO.

Not sure what Kray's role will be, but if he's a problem solver that will help DeMeco. Not really crazy if his role consists of carrying a boombox out before games, that sounds more like a buddy for the HC or GM, not sure who he reports to.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. Fantasma Negro

I don't like that from his only dc job it appears the fans in Miami hate him but apparently he comes highly recommended

Rudyc281 and mikol13 like this.
  10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Manuel and Undlin both still staff possibilities

Rudyc281 and houston19519 like this.
  11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I just wanted to say that I have no idea if this is a good hire for DC, and it's important to me that you know that.

ElPigto, Cold Hard, Stoic Rob and 9 others like this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

“Burke, 46, spent six years in collegiate coaching before beginning his career in the NFL. He’s been an NFL assistant for 19 seasons and was the Dolphins’ defensive coordinator from 2017 to 2018 under former coach Adam Gase. Miami ranked 27th in scoring defense (27.1 points allowed per game) & 31st in rushing defense (145.3 yards allowed per game) in Burke’s final season.”

#552 J.R., Feb 10, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
    Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Nowhere to go but up!!

Rudyc281, houston19519 and justtxyank like this.
  14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I definitely agree with this. I feel like when a coach decides to be his own coordinator what happens is you effectively have two head coaches, one for each side of the ball. But despite Demeco's background being defense, he needs to understand the intricacies of the offensive side of the ball so he is fully aligned with what his OC wants to do, and he won't have time for that if he is always building defensive game plans for the next upcoming game.

I don't know anything about the guy they hired, but I'll choose to trust that Demeco has picked someone he can trust and work with.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  16. justtxyank

OBrien and Lovie not hiring coordinators was embarrassing.

17. justtxyank

I don't know anything about Burke but I won't fall into the trap of getting concerned about his performance as DC on a horrible team.

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

19. Major

Major Member

Does anyone get hired and not get good recommendations from other coaches? Even David Culley was praised by other coaches when he was hired.

20. justtxyank

Right?

Except for the OLine coach that the Texans hired where you had multiple former players say "WTF?" openly and said "the guy literally doesn't know how to coach."

Rudyc281 and Major like this.