1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans hire David Culley as Head Coach

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Jan 27, 2021.

?

Do you like the hire of David Culley?

Poll closed Jan 27, 2023.
  1. YES

10.9%
  2. NO

89.1%
  1. Nimo

Nimo Member

Sidenote: I totally expect Culley to win some over during this press conference.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

The last 12 months we have been the worst team in the league from the total perspective of losing our #1 pick, the Easterby crap, the BOB trades and now Watson leaving.......... however we have not had the extended period of misery that the Browns, Bengals and Jets had had at their worst.

The hope is Caserio is good at his job and wins the power play..... problem is there is also the chance we just go into a long term down spin.

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

Deshaun is the person that needs the least coaching on the team.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]
    "I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally r****ded."

5. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Of course Watson Is already a star but he can get even better. Fingers crossed for a miracle

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Casserole brought him in to coach casserole how to be a better qb at practice. Thats been casseroles end game all along.

Htown Legend likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

“David will do a good job, He’s a people person. He’ll bring energy to the building. One of the most loyal guys I’ve ever been around. He’s a great person. We were together 18 years. We had a few cheeseburgers together.” Andy Reid on David Culley

“I’m glad I have him [for another season], but I’m not so glad I have him. I was really hoping he would have an opportunity to take one of these jobs. You guys know what I think of him. I think he’s great. I think he would be great for any number of teams that opened up and help them win football games and also develop men into men. I just think he’s a great person.” - Andy Reid on Eric Bienemy

I don't know if Bienemy will be a great coach or even a good one. A lot of these retreads like Frazier were once praised........ but I can say, reading those quotes it is pretty clear who Andy Reid thinks is the better coaching candidate.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

9. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

People will like David Culley, and it's not his fault that all of this is going down, and you can't blame him for taking an opportunity when it is offered to him. None of this is on him. That doesn't change the fact that it was a ridiculous hire, and this team is doomed to failure because it is owned by a cowardly simpleton.

mikol13, DVauthrin, Rudyc281 and 2 others like this.
  10. Nimo

Nimo Member

Sure. But what about the rest of the team? Can we get the run game going? Who is coaching the offensive line? Who is going to get more out of the edge rushers?

justtxyank likes this.
  11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I just read those quotes and his other quotes in the past about EB and then the quotes about Culley and they sound so similar. Energy, great person, leader of men, etc.

We know he loves Eric Bieniemy. That said, Harbaugh gave a strong endorsement for Culley.

Nook likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

Rudyc281, conquistador#11 and J.R. like this.
  13. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

EB didn't get hired because he has some baggage, and we know how Cal and Easterby see that: he ain't a good Christian man who will tow the line. Also, it's been reported he wanted some control over the roster and was told no. Imagine that. A HC who wants a little control over who he coaches. He might as well as been hailing Satan.

14. Nook

Nook Member

I don't know how good either either coach will be. Harbaugh is someone I think highly of so I am glad he gave a strong endorsement. Also, Culley seems like a really solid person so I will be pulling for him.

mikol13, desihooper and justtxyank like this.
  15. justtxyank

1) Forget the Texans. EB has interviewed for what, 10 different jobs the last 2 years and been rejected by all of them. So blame Easterby for all of them?
    2) The story about him wanting roster control came from the podcaster who made up the whole story.

16. justtxyank

Right, that's basically my take. I don't know about either man. I like how much people seem to speak highly of Culley.

That said, most head coaches fail. They aren't good at what a head coach should be good at, normally because they are trying to run an offense or defense. So maybe there's hope by hiring a guy like Culley that he'll actually be good at those things. I doubt it. Having a team depleted of talent means it probably doesn't matter and the team will suck and he'll be a failure no matter what.

Nook likes this.
  17. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

No. I'm blaming the ********er for the Texans not hiring EB. You can put your head in the sand about the roster control fact. It happened.

18. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

My question is- what are former co-staffers supposed to say when asked about someone that gets an opportunity like this? No one is going to go on record and bad mouth or even say 'well, I don't know if he's really fit for a position like that'. It's all gonna be positive reviews. I mean the guy has been in the league at some position for a long time, so hes gotta be doing something right, just not all the things that would lead into a HCing job.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nook and Rudyc281 like this.
  20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member