1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans & Free Agent Running Backs.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by tbplayer22, Dec 31, 2007.

1. tbplayer22

tbplayer22 Member

So Ahmen Green was really our only option in the free agent market last year and it was worth a try, but it doesn't look like his body is going to hold up. We can buy out his contract this off season and I was wondering what ya'll thought of the Texans trying to sign another big name RB free agent. There are actually a lot better free agent running back options this year. Michael Turner is probably going to go to the biggest bidder. Marion Barber is more then likely going to stay with the Cowboys, but I doubt they can sign both Barber and Jones so Julius would probably be an option. I think if we could sign Julius Jones, Justin Fargas, or Derrick Ward we could be in a real nice situation to use our draft picks on the secondary and the O-Line. Obviously Michael Turner is the best option out there, but I really doubt he comes our way. Michael Turner, Julius Jones, Justin Fargas, and Derrick Ward are all fairly young and I really wouldn't want to bring in another wrong side of 30 guy like Fred Taylor. Anyway what's ya'lls thoughts? I was able to find this link below on the coming free agents.

http://www.nflminute.com/2007/12/26/2008s-top-free-agents-running-backs/

The Top 5

1. Michael Turner - UFA - San Diego Chargers

After serious rumors last offseason that Michael Turner would be traded to a team - the Green Bay Packers, Tennessee Titans, and Buffalo Bills were those rumored to have set up a deal with San Diego - it seems almost certain the Chargers will let Turner go to explore free agency. And when he does, there’s no doubt he’ll find some suitors willing to try him out as a starting running back. In his stay with the Chargers he’s managed a lifetime yards per carry average of 5.6 and in each of the past three seasons he’s managed at least one run of 70 or more yards. A playmaker, Turner is the top free agent of 2008.

2. Marion Barber - RFA - Dallas Cowboys

It seems incredibly unlikely the Cowboys will let Marion Barber go after the career season he’s had in 2007. His numbers are through the roof, averaging 5.0 yards per carry and scoring 10 times on the ground. And he’s not half-bad as a receiver either, with 43 catches he’s fourth on the team with twice as many as Julius Jones.

3. Jamal Lewis - UFA - Cleveland Browns

If 2007 was a test season for Lewis in Cleveland, he’s certainly passed with flying colors. Despite career setbacks over the past several seasons he’s posting his best numbers since 2004. He’s made the most out of his 273 carries (through 14 games), gaining more yardage than he did in 2006 despite more than 40 fewer carries. And for only the second time in his career Lewis has a double digit touchdown total. Unless the Browns decide his contract - which will certainly be more than the $3.5 million total salary this past season - is not worth renewing the 28-year old running back should find a home in Cleveland for at least a few more seasons as he rebuilds his career.

4. Fred Taylor - UFA - Jacksonville Jaguars

Fred Taylor has caught media attention for the career season he’s had in 2007 at age 31. He’s outperformed the young Maurice Jones-Drew, averaging more yards per carry than the youngster (5.4 vs. 4.6). But then again, Taylor hasn’t been a receiving or touchdown threat this season. Jones-Drew has nearly twice as many scores on the ground with 9 to Taylor’s 5 and Jones-Drew has contributed to the passing game with 40 receptions (407 yards), second most on the team. It would make sense the Jaguars let Taylor go while focusing all attention on Jones-Drew beginning next season. Taylor’s biggest bust factor: his age. At 31, his numbers this season are an anomaly for backs his age. Expect a serious drop-off from this season no matter the role he plays in any team’s offense next season.

5. Julius Jones - UFA - Dallas Cowboys

Is there any way Julius Jones beats out Marion Barber for the starting role in Dallas (and a new contract)? This was the season that mattered for Jones and he failed to get any mileage out of his 156 carries. His yard per carry average: a paltry 3.7. His touchdown total: 2. Expect him to hit free agency as the Cowboys opt to re-sign Marion Barber as the team’s feature back.

The Best of the Rest

6. Justin Fargus - UFA - Oakland Raiders

1000 yards rushing. In Oakland. Really.

7. Chris Brown - UFA - Tennessee Titans

Consistency has been a burden his entire career, but at age 26 Brown should be hitting his prime. Unfortunately, he hasn’t been a feature back this season because LenDale White has stolen the bulk of the load.

8. Derrick Ward - RFA - New York Giants

If the Giants let him, Ward is a good option for some teams out there looking for a back with relatively little proven, but someone who has also shown signs of serious potential while filling in for Brandon Jacobs.

9. TJ Duckett - UFA - Detroit Lions

A goal line back, Duckett has managed a 5.9 yard per carry average this past season. Still, he hasn’t shown signs he can be a feature back in any offense.

10. Vernand Morency - RFA - Green Bay Packers

The Green Bay Packers have shown a running back can succeed in their offense, but his name is Ryan Grant, not Vernand Morency. And after investing a draft choice in Brandon Jackson, it would make sense for the Packers to go in a different direction. Expect him to land a role as a backup elsewhere.

2. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I'd like to see us add Julius Jones. He's a proven 1000 yard rusher in the NFL and is still just 26. I think I'd stay away from Fargas, due to his long history of injuries.

There are also some good free agent CBs this year like Asante Samuel, Drayton Florence and Marcus Trufant. If we could add a CB and RB through free agency, that would allow us to take a OT in the first, then go BPA through through the rest of the draft.

3. tbplayer22

tbplayer22 Member

Ya actually when I first started writing this thread it was centered around us signing Julius Jones, but then I looked into other people that were available and edited it a bit. I think Julius would be a great addition, but the only thing I worry about is that he also has a history of getting hurt. But he would be a good combo to switch with Ron Dayne as the power guy. I think the one cut and go system of Kubiak would do Jones some good and make his average per carry better.

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The Jags have a stable of backs and no kick returners, we have at least 3 top kick returners. Just a thought.

5. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

I say no to Julius Jones and the rest of that list. Jones seems lethargic and lacks the ability to burst through the holes created by the DALLAS OL.
    We need a strong, heavy back like Dayne, but with a little more speed to hit the middle. I've been impressed with Darius Walker's ability to turn the corner and bust through some holes on the outer edges.

6. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I've watched Michael Turner the last few years, and he is the real deal. He seems to be a durable North-South runner and I think he'd fit perfectly with the Texans offense.

7. tulexan

tulexan Member

I want the Burner too. He is big, fast, young, and experienced. I don't think he is going to be as expensive as some people think too.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

get morency back

9. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

You have to add Nmamdi Asomugha to the list of free agent CBs. He may be the best man-to-man defender of the bunch. I would be thrilled if they can get either Samuel, Trufant or Asomugha along with JJ.

10. Angle02

Angle02 Member

Being a Cowboys fan.... STAY AWAY FROM JONES! He is not a good running back.

11. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Agreed. Julius Jones hasn't done much at all this year and most of the backs mentioned don't seem like huge improvements over what we got. I'm thinking Dayne and Walker could work well as a nice tandem. Course if we let Green go it might be good to pick up another FA option to compete with Dayne and Walker for the starting job.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't know if McClain knows anything substantive, but he says the Texans will bring back Green.

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Hmmm, if Fred Taylor is cheap that would be nice. Taylor/Dayne combo.

I'd like Turner but I think Kube's philosphy is to buy RBs cheap.

14. tulexan

tulexan Member

They may bring Green back to OTA's or training camp, but I don't think he is going to be on the roster next season. He will be a June 10 cut.

15. danny317

danny317 Member

whats the big tuna going to do w/ the first pick? they already have ronnie brown. you think theyll move brown and take dmc?

16. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Michael Turner or bust.

Julius is not a feature back. No vision + easy to take down.

17. tulexan

tulexan Member

I'm not sure what he's going to do. This really is one of the worst years to have the first pick. There is no super elite QB who is head and shoulders above everyone else and guys like Dorsey and Jake Long aren't worth the first pick. Paying a running back $65MM+ is pretty tough too even if it is for a guy like McFadden.

I think he is going to try to trade down, but if he stays, will take Dorsey.

18. tested911

tested911 Member

Man if there was a way to get Marion Barber you DO IT!! That man is like the Kevin Garnett of Rb's lol

19. Angle02

Angle02 Member

The Tuna wont have control of the draft if he gets his wish and gets Jeff Ireland from the Cowboys. He'll be the GM and he'll make the draft decisions.

20. tulexan

tulexan Member

I don't know if anyone is watching the Oregon - S. Florida game, but Jonathan Stewart would look awfully good in a Texans uniform.