1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Trading Sengun? Stop me if you've heard me talk about this one. We're talking #Rockets LIVE right now ...

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Texans Free Agent News

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

You underestimate how hard it is to get solid line play. Neither Brooks not Ben Jones were pro bowlers but they provided solid play and consistency which is important. You want that when you also have a new QB and new starting RB.

2. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

He was talking about the Broncos not giving Osweiler the Sam Bradford money. The Texans have the money. If Osweiler stays in Denver, he'll have to do it for less than he'd get from Houston.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Alex Mack is a free agent. ;) Gonna command a pretty penny though.

Stefen Wisniewski?
    Manny Ramirez?

Kinda bare after that.

Interior Offensive Linemen
    Alex Mack
    Kelechi Osemele (Agreed to 5-year, $58.5M deal with OAK)
    Brandon Brooks
    Alex Boone
    Jeff Allen
    Richie Incognito (Re-signed 3-year, $15.75M deal with BUF)
    Louis Vasquez
    Ramon Foster
    Geoff Schwartz
    Jahri Evans
    Evan Mathis
    Ben Jones (Agreed to 4-year deal with TEN)
    Stefen Wisniewski
    Ryan Wendell
    Mike Harris
    J.R. Sweezy
    Chris Chester
    Manuel Ramirez
    Lyle Sendlein
    Amini Silatolu
    Zane Beadles
    Will Montgomery
    Lance Louis
    Kraig Urbik
    Ted Larsen
    Willie Colon
    Tony Bergstrom
    Josh LeRibeus
    J.D. Walton
    Tim Barnes
    Mackenzy Bernadeau
    Chris Scott (Re-signed 1-year deal with CAR)
    Dallas Reynolds
    Mike McGlynn
    Vlad Ducasse
    Fernando Velasco
    Shelley Smith
    Brandon Mosley
    Doug Legursky
    Gino Gradkowski
    Johnnie Troutman
    Joe Looney
    Jamon Meredith

#283 J.R., Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  4. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Maybe that's the Denver FO thinking. It's not like Osweiler showed enough to be a star QB. In fact, he looked the opposite. No other team has showed any interest in paying Brock that much. But here comes ally Rick Smith "The Market Buster" with cash in hand to ruin the plans. His bid made them restructure deals and make moves.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Alex Mack was a pretty damn good player for awhile don't know much about him right now

6. showa13

showa13 Member

The line as it currently stands is still leaps and bounds better than anything we put out during the first few Carr years

7. conquistador#11

i liked jones. above average linemen gotten in the late rounds. You have to keep those players. but i guess the idea is to have linemen that can switch all over like it's no big deal. It would work if you had brady at qb and not his clipholders. So I can see the first 7 weeks of last season repeating. Filo at center. Hope he has learned the chinese playbook by then. Not clowning on Filo, it takes about 3 years for a lineman to learn the system.

8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Welcome to the Greg Mancz era, baby!

You can get good centers in the mid rounds. They'll probably draft someone in the 4th or 5th and try and mix and match until they are ready.

Graham Glasgow or Max Tuerk?

#288 Ottomaton, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Take out Jones and Brooks and the interior is garbage. No QB looks good when there is pressure up the middle and RB's can't run if the middle is clogged. Without an O line, there's no point.

10. showa13

showa13 Member

Brooks played at a borderline pro bowl level last year. Ben Jones was solid. I understand how vital solid o line play is but you don't break the bank for a solid center when most of the solid to good centers in the NFL get drafted in the mid rounds. I would've liked to keep both but you don't pay premium for a guy like jones. Now if he got a manageable deal from Tennessee then I will be more upset that the Texans didn't make more of an effort to keep him

11. showa13

showa13 Member

Yes the interior is a concern, but I'd rather get a QB early if we plan on drafting one then working on fixing the line in the mid rounds(would love to get Vadal Alexander in the 3rd or 4th)

12. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Ryan Kelly Nick Martin Vandal Alexander the kid from Stanford lots of talent this year.

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

It's not about being upset that the Texans didn't match. It's about not acting like there wouldn't be an effect. Yes, you get your linemen in mid-rounds but the ones that work usually needs some years to develop. If you want one of the top lines in the league, you might want to have some 1st or 2nd rounders there.

14. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Waiting for an Aaron Wilson bomb saying Texans have agreed to terms with Osweiler and Miller.

15. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Broncos &amp; Brock Osweiler's reps haven't had any negotiations since the Broncos initial 3-year offer several days ago.</p>&mdash; James Palmer (@JamesPalmerTV) <a href="https://twitter.com/JamesPalmerTV/status/707383491889995776">March 9, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1 person likes this.
  16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Letting Jones go is dumb. The few times the texans hit on late picks, they never keep them. What a waste

17. Fantasma Negro

Soooo we're starting the season with a new starting qb, new center, new running back and new left tackle. Ok, for your center to jump ship is bizarre, O'Brien better have a plan

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Who plays center for the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a> now? Xavier Su'a-Filo has some experience. Another name I've heard floated is David Quessenberry.</p>&mdash; Tania Ganguli (@taniaganguli) <a href="https://twitter.com/taniaganguli/status/707385230546456576">March 9, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

You mean guard not tackle but you might also be replacing starting DE, starting TE, and one of the safety positions.

20. Caddman

Caddman Contributing Member

David Quessenberry would be an awesome story, but hopefully they aren't putting all of their eggs in that basket.