1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Texans Free Agency 2023

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Mar 13, 2023.

1. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

The Texans have had a solid offseason. Good signings all around. All of the one year deals are curious, but I really like what they have done so far.

Fullcourt, zeeshan2 and Rudyc281 like this.
  2. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Can someone please explain to me the Lukas Van Ness obsession? He wasn’t even a starter on his college team. I see that he could be a find and is athletically gifted, but how is that worth a 1st round pick? I’m not a talent evaluator so I’m sorry if this is a dumb question I just don’t understand.

That said, if not a WR, I want Nolan Smith at 12.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

So Schultz is a really good run blocker? That's a nice plus.

red5rocket, cmoak1982 and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

LFG!!!

#BDN

In Caserio we trust!!

@J.R.

Rockets34Legend and J.R. like this.
  5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He wasn’t a starter but still performed well in traditional numbers and advanced stats. Plus, he’s literally the perfect prospect for a DE physically. 6’5 275 with long arms and explosive athleticism.

6. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Like Rankins and Schultz but at 1 year deals it seems like you haven’t really filled that roster hole. Still need to consider using 2.33 on a TE despite needs at LB, C, WR.

If Nick can hit on all these first rounders then sure all will be great. But we saw what happened last year. Maybe he needs to confer with Rick Smith on just the first round…

7. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Could end up being a camp body

8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lots of fun to watch. Little guy, lots of start/stops, changes of direction and glancing missed tackles.

Fits the mold of a "3rd down back", too, so a change-up for Pierce.

#488 Ottomaton, Mar 20, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
  9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Is anyone keeping up with the additions? They are on their third today if the Center is signed. And many of these are filling areas of need, so our draft priorities will be affected.

QB still there, but OL and DI have been strengthened. I'm not familiar enough to know if acquisitions are camp bodies, backups, minimal starters or Starters for a winner.

10. justtxyank

The C profiles as a solid backup best case, the rest are solid starters. Don’t think any are good enough to change your draft priorities.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Fair, I just don’t see how he wasn’t good enough to be a starter in college then why is he good enough for NFL? Does that happen often? Or at all?

cmoak1982 likes this.
  12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

With a name like Dalton Schultz, it was a pretty safe bet that he was signing with either Dallas or Houston.

13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

It happens, not often though.
    It’s not like he didn’t have numbers though.

14. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Here's a good article to support his rise... https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...t-combine-prospect-iowa-football/69932243007/

"He just wasn’t on their radar as a college backup. But once the word got out on Van Ness, his stock began to rise. And the hype has continued to grow. He was recently pegged as the No. 12 overall pick by ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. CBS Sports on Sunday had Van Ness going No. 17. Brugler most recently had Van Ness at No. 18 in a mock draft. NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah has him at No. 22.

And though the "no college starts" thing is interesting, it’s not deflating his draft stock. One of the reasons Iowa had the No. 1-ranked defense in FBS last season was because of Van Ness’ versatility and how he was used by defensive line coaches Kelvin Bell and Jay Niemann. He played inside and outside, something he could do against bigger offensive linemen because of his explosive burst at the snap and a motor that doesn’t quit. In a Week 4 game against Rutgers, Van Ness led the nation (according to Pro Football Focus) that weekend with nine quarterback pressures. He blocked two punts in a Week 2 game vs. Iowa State."

“I’ve worked with four first-round picks in the last four drafts, and I’ve seen nothing but first-round film on Lukas,” said Eddy McGilvra, a Los Angeles-based trainer who is working pre-draft with Van Ness as he did with No. 2 overall pick Aidan Hutchinson a year ago. “He’s a Day 1 starter in the NFL with the work ethic and traits to be a Pro Bowler over the years. I’d be shocked if he doesn’t go in the first 20 to 25 picks of this year’s draft.”

“To me, he just goes. He’s full go,” Iowa defensive coordinator Phil Parker told the Register. “He’s got his foot on the gas, 100 mph. That’s what I see.

“And I’ve never really seen him in a bad mood. He’s such a positive guy, such a positive player.”

Iowa likes to rotate eight or nine defensive linemen a game. Despite not starting, only one Hawkeye defensive lineman (Logan Lee) played more snaps than Van Ness last fall.

Check this out...

"Despite a history of playing physical sports like hockey and football, Lukas has never experienced a significant injury. Nothing more than “bumps and bruises,” Dad said, over 21 years.

How is that possible?

“I’ve taught Lukas how to manage small injuries on his own. I’ve trained him to assess his movements,” Jason said. “They’ve all been adjusted since they were born. By being proactive, Lukas has been able to avoid a lot of the injuries that I see other kids (have). Maybe they don’t manage it and kick the can down the road and it becomes a bigger deal. Little sprains and strains, if unmanaged, can end up leading to a tear."

This guy sounds exactly like the kind of player Coach Ryans is looking for and could be a weapon for our front 7. This video is just explosive...

15. conquistador#11

In the case of Rankins, Singletary and Dalton, the one year deal is probably the only way they sign here.
    With the other guys in the past, the one year deal was more of hoping to catch lightning in a cup.
    It's the only way it makes sense to me because NFL contracts you can give a player a 2 year deal and cut him after 1 yr with no consequences.

Canton isn't a reach for Lukas. Makes those bags look like they're filled with air.
    ( Mikah Parsons' reaction was priceless)

HstnSprtsFan101 and cmoak1982 like this.
  16. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Love the Schultz and Singletary signings.
    Schultz is a top ten TE and Singletary runs hard.
    Pierce now has a serious partner in crime and our run game is going to command respect.
    Very nice.

Rudyc281 and conquistador#11 like this.
  17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

19. justtxyank

Schultz feels like a guy we're going to be annoyed AF that he only got 1 year.

20. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

he should be annoyed with his agent

Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.