1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans fired up for Year 2 with Phillips (Four letter network)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rmoreno, Jun 8, 2012.

1. rmoreno

rmoreno Member

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/37528/texans-fied-up-for-second-year-with-phillips

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I worry about a drop off a little bit. Not because of of any real fact-based reasoning, but I recall one of the Cowboy fans on this forum was posting last year about how Wade's defense will look good at first and then regress as other teams figure out his scheme. I can't imagine that happening with us because this team has great defensive talent...but it's something in the back of my mind.

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

With the team young, bursting with talent, reloading, and having their first true offseason under the staff, it's very difficult for me to see the drop off happening.

Where I see an area of concern worth watching is how the secondary handles strong West Coast passers. Wade's aggressive scheme is vulnerable to quick passes and 2 minute drills, exacerbated by Kareem Jackson, no more Jason Allen, and question marks on the bench (do I really trust Brice McCain?)

Wade's scheme is lights out against pocket passing and creates TO opportunities for the secondary as QB's rush passes. But on quick/hot routes, there's no time to get to the QB and affect the pass, and with so many defenders coming forward, the secondary are on an island.

We're going to need to be on our toes this season, since we're going to face a few QBs that excel at eating up defenses in the air:
    Denver
    Patriots
    Packers

And I wouldn't be too dismissive of Fitzpatrick on the Bills - they've put together a nice receiving corps. Lions and Bears also can do damage - but those offenses are more vulnerable to the rush.

5. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Well there is a pattern.

6. ThaShark316_28

You only don't trust Brice because you didn't hear his name a ton. He had a really good year last year.

Bills were exposed by mid-season last year. Man up, don't play zone. They are a spread-type offense. Get in "trips" to the left or right and throw short passes all day. Fitzpatrick destroyed defenses early on with their version of the spread. I like DET and (especially) CHI, so that's legit. That said, DET can't stop anyone from what I can tell. CHI can, however. As for GB, DEN and NE...GB and DEN have bottom half of the league defenses. NE does, too, but proved their worth when the chips are down.

Which brings me to my next point: Another key that folks aren't looking at with these Texans...barring injury (can be said about everyone), who's going to STOP them? Schaub, Dre, Arian, OD, Tate, etc....this was a top 5 offense last year before Matt gets hurt.

I understand the CONCERNS, but what about the things we got???

7. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Good NFL franchises don't pay large sums of money for any position but QB (patriots come to mind). The Mario Williams deal proved just how smart the Texans are and how dumb the Bills are. The Bills wont make the playoffs for atleast another 10 years.

#7 tallanvor, Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  8. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Mario Williams' salary is hardly that bad...it may be bad in 4-5 years, but at that point, they can cut or restructure his deal. There are about 3-4 players on every single NFL team that will be bigger cap hits on their team than Mario will be for the Bills this upcoming season. Mario's cap hit is 9.8 million. However, plenty of teams have defensive players that are much less cap friendly. The Patriots are probably the only example in which a team has been successful while allocating a good chunk of its money to QB...but most teams have at least one player on defense that makes as much as or more than their QB. Here are some of the successful NFL teams:

Ed Reed, Terrell Suggs and Haloti Ngata combine for 38 million in salary cap hit for this upcoming season for the Ravens.

James Harrison makes more than Big Ben.

Julius Peppers makes more than Jay Cutler.

The Giants have a few defensive players that make what Eli Manning makes.

Pretty much half the defense of the Jets makes more than Sanchez.

The Eagles have 2 CBs that make 10+ million each.

When Clay Mathews and BJ Raji's rookie contracts come up, they will join Charles Woodson in the 10+ million per year category.

You cant be successful in the NFL if you dont have the defensive cornerstones that make 10+ million, or QB level money....unless you have a once in a lifetime QB like Tom Brady running the show (which most teams dont have).

9. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I think that's a pretty short sighted opinion to make of what constitutes good NFL franchises. It's pretty established that a good pass defense comes from the ability to generate QB pressure. Mario was coming in as the biggest defensive FA since Julius Peppers, and Chicago probably doesn't regret paying him crazy money. There were probably a few teams that would have been willing to make him one of the highest paid defensive players ever.

The AFC East will look completely different once Brady's gone, and that time's coming a lot sooner than 10 years from now.

10. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Teams with a good pass rush don't over pay for one pass rusher (Giants)

It has gotten the bears 0 playoff wins so far.

There are lots of dumb teams.

They will still be a far better franchise than the Jets or Bills when Brady is gone.

11. Raven

Raven Member

Can we just move the season up to August 1st please. Yeah, that would be great.

12. Juxtaposed Jolt

I know it's way early, but I'm thinking Superbowl this year.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Code:
    Here are NFL rankings and records for Wade Phillips' defenses (either as head coach or coordinator) 
    in his first and second years with a team.
    Year     Team                                PPG        YPG       Rush YPG        Pass YPG        W-L
    2011     Houston Texans             4              2                  4                         3               10-6*
    2012     Houston Texans      T-10             7                  7                       16               12-4*
    * Denotes a playoff berth.
    Code:
    Here are NFL rankings and records for Wade Phillips' defenses (either as head coach or coordinator) 
    in his first and second years with a team.

Year     Team                                PPG        YPG        Rush YPG     Pass YPG     W-L
    2011     Houston Texans          17.4     285.7         96.0              189.7          10-6*
    2012     Houston Texans         20.7     323.3         97.5              225.8          12-4*
    * Denotes a playoff berth.

14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

what about year 3?

15. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I think we can agree that the biggest factor in the drop off this year was losing Cushing. The defense had several more impressive performances, but we were never really the same without him. His ability to handle ILB on his own allowed Wade to send 5 forward and put 5 DBs in a zone - lethal for opposing offenses to deal with. Wade kept flipping between sending 4 or leaving only 4 DBs in off man or soft zone, and we couldn't get away with it half the time.

Other factors:

Barwin's abysmal contract year showing.

Joseph's injury

Teams catching on to the kryptonite of Wade's D: scheming quick passing attacks with spread formation, West Coast passing, or screens. This has happened at most of his spots. Even if you just look back at his SD and Dallas stops, it's been his M.O. to lean completely on pocket pressure to defend the pass. When the pressure slips, the secondary gets eaten alive.

There's also a line to toe between trusting in your system and tweaking your gameplan for opponents. It seems that both Kubiak and Phillips have been slow to adjust their schemes to deal with opponents that game plan for theirs - Wade simply has not come up with a counter to deal with the quick pass or spread.