1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans extending Tunsil

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/.amp/...ate-bad-news-laremy-tunsil-new-o-line-changes

2. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Also from the article "Culley said Monday that Tunsil is further ahead of center Justin Britt, who will remain on injured reserve with a hyperextended and bruised knee."

This was from a month ago so either the Texans don't want him to play so they can see what they have in Howard on the left side or he doesn't want to play.

3. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I think the Texans trade him in the off season there is just too much drama with this dude. He was supposed to be out 4-6 weeks and its been 2 months and there is no talk of him playing or being close to playing and last year they had to negotiate with the dude just to practice. I see why the Dolphins were looking to trade him now I knew something wasn't right when a team was willing to trade 25yr old Pro Bowl type LT. Then BOB overpays for him in the trade and then overpays him in his contract extension.

ROXRAN likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Texans coach David Culley said it is “unlikely” that left tackle Laremy Tunsil and defensive tackle Vincent Taylor will return from the injured reserve and play in either of the team’s final two games.

The update for Tunsil is unsurprising, and, although Culley never said it outright, there were already clear indications that the star left tackle was not returning in 2021. Tunsil, who signed a three-year, $66 million contract extension last year, is arguably the franchise’s best player but it’s uncertain if he will return in 2022.

Tytus Howard, a former 2019 first-round pick, has started in four games at left tackle but is currently on the COVID-19 reserve.

Meanwhile, the rebuilding Texans are on pace to finish with a high draft pick that will put them within range of selecting from a deep pool of offensive linemen.

When Tunsil underwent surgery on a fully torn ulnar collateral ligament in his left thumb on Oct. 14, the operation was expected to sideline him for at least four weeks. It has been 11 weeks since the surgery, and, over the last three months, Culley has shared separate vague updates that Tunsil was “getting close,” “we’ll wait and see” and held a “day-by-day” status.

Surgery initially prevented Tunsil from lifting weights, and Culley said Nov. 17 that Tunsil had returned to the weight room, which would aid his recovery.

“It’s almost like being on (the COVID list) and coming back and not being able to do anything,” Culley said then. “He’s actually getting to the point where he’s starting to lift now and get his strength back. Once he gets that back that back, it’s just a matter of him being able to go.”

When asked if Tunsil’s availability is a personal decision or one made by the team’s medical staff, Culley said “it’s a combination of things.”

5. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

6. raining threes

Tell me the players you draft with those picks and I will get on board.

bigdaddy likes this.
  7. whag00

Trade Tunsil, save 8 million in 2022 and 27 million in 2023., draft Ekwonu, re-sign Britt.

Left to right - Howard, Toner/Sharping, Britt, Ekwonu, Heck

The Texans probably don’t mind keeping Tunsil but that’s a lot of money for a below average run blocker.

8. raining threes

You really dont need cap space next year. So keeping Tunsil and trading him in the 2023 offseason if you need the cap space is the way to go. IMHO is the way to go. IMHO

Draft Neal at #3 (He's played RT before) and Kinnard at 35 and the run game immediately improves.

Tunsil/Howard (Who I would move for a 3rd.) Britt/Kinnard/Neal is a young stud OL.

BTW, I'm not against trading Tunsil. But the Dolphins seem to be a good fit and I would take the 49ers 1st and the Miami 2nd for Tunsil. I would have to be able to be sure I could draft Neal or Cross with the Texans pick. Then with the 49ers pick I'm probably looking for a CB pick at #22.

#228 raining threes, Dec 31, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
    whag00 likes this.
  9. whag00

Yeah i guess it depends on how they feel about Howard at LT. Heck has developed into a nice RT so I see no reason to mess with him…especially since he is so cheap right now. But I’m thinking Tunsil has higher trade value if he still has 2 yrs left on his contract vs 1. That’s why they might as well move him now vs waiting until next off season.

bigdaddy and raining threes like this.
  10. raining threes

I dont like Howard at LT.

The more athletic Edges will eat him alive. IMHO

11. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I found the Texans trading partner for overpaid a-hole Tunsil.

BDN just has to pull a Morey and take as much as possible from them.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Lots of teams could use a top tier LT

13. raining threes

What makes Tunsil an A-Hole exactly?

Do you know him personally ?

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Tunsil is a real tipping point. If you keep him, you're basically signaling that Mills is your guy. If you ship him, you enter an even higher tier of rebuild mode.

I lean towards the latter.

The chances Mills is "it" and that this team can start competing next year are so slim. The much more likely scenario is that Tunsil will be exiting his prime and needing a new contract by the time this team is ready to compete. I say go get the value while you can.

ROXRAN and Rockets34Legend like this.
  15. raining threes

Tunsil is 27 yrs old, he's got 8-9 yrs and 2 contracts living in him and you can still trade him after next season if you want too.

Mills may or may not be the QB of the future, but you will never know unless you get him a run game and protect him properly.

clos4life likes this.
  16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

You don't want to be investing in players over 30 if you can avoid it. If you have a franchise QB, sure, go for it. But if you're entering QB carousel hell and the rest of your roster is trash, it's not a great idea.

Given the intenseness of the rebuild the Texans are facing I'd rather have the picks than a nice LT who will be past his prime by the time we're close to climbing out of the hole we're in.

Of course you can trade him whenever you want, but the name of the game is maximum value and that's now.

17. raining threes

Look at some of the best LT's in the game today. Duane Brown is 36, Whitworth is 40, Trent Williams is like 33 etc... age isn't an issue even if you think Mills isn't the QB of the future. As far as the QB carousel goes, you dont know what you have until you can properly protect the QB as well as help the QB out with a sufficient run game.

18. mario_v

mario_v Member

Tunsil doesn’t want to be here, just like Watson, Reid, Cunningham, Omenihu, Roby and there’s going to be more players that are going to want out next season and the following season after that because the Texans are a dysfunctional team.

clos4life likes this.
  19. raining threes

1st of all, you dont know this and we wont know this until this offseason. If Tunsil is trade you will be correct. If he's not traded then Caserio was just trying to preserve him and not let him get hurt in a lost season thatwas always meant to be a tank season. Playing Tunsil late in the season serves no purpose and could hurt the tank job.

2nd of all, if you're correct, then I agree with you it will be time to trade him and pick Neal at #3.

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member