1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Texans Draft: Who would you have selected

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rileydog, May 4, 2011.

1. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

State: (i) who you would have chosen at the spots the Texans picked; (ii) explain your reasoning; (iii) live with the trades that were made and pick from those spots based on who was actually available; (iv) don't make up other trades or undo the trade.

Here's mine. And by the way, I liked the Texans draft and would give it a A. I freely admit that their draft could easily be better than my cherry pick, which is done with perfect hindsight. I notice that my early picks have higher ceilings but significantly lower floors.

Round 1, 11th Pick: Robert Quinn. He is our pass rushing OLB. It's a risk, but serious upside with a tremendous athlete.

Round 2, 10th Pick: Stephen Paea or Marvin Austin. I think we have crap at NT. I think I would go Paea

Round 2, 28th Pick: Brandon Harris. Great Pick at this spot. Tremendous value. No change here.

Round 4, 30th Pick: I think I would have taken Davon House over Rock Carmichael, but its basically a toss up. I trust LZ's analysis and he liked Carmichael quite a bit.

Round 5, 13th Pick: I like the Shiloh Keo pick the least. I'd have taken Chris Carter, OLB, Fresno State. Blistering speed off the edge, but a little raw. You can't have enough OLB's in the 3-4 and too many of our LBs are coming off serious injury/overtrained.

Round 5, 21st Pick: I like the TJ Yates pick. I actually trust Kubiak to develop a QB and I like that Yates can take over as QB2 this year since he is familiar with the system

Round 7: I don't know and don't really give a crap. i would take the two best safeties on the board, but would plan on bringing in a veteran FA to pair with Glover Quinn.

2. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Fairly and that Strong safety

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I would have selected myself in the first round, since I need the money. I run a 40 in to 6.0 and got crazy bad skills at corner back :grin:

4. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I probably would have gone with Quinn in the 1st BUT I understand the medical risks and considering Smithiak is playing for their jobs this season, they needed a safe pick.

Mortenson twitted the Texans were trying to move up to #33 to pick Reed but gambled and stayed put. I would have moved up and picked Aaron Williams from UT to help our secondary. Smith will be darn good corner but those off the field issues made it tough for any team without STRONG veteran leadership to pick the guy otherwise I would have moved back into the 1st to pick him.

Saying all that, still like what the Texans did and have zero complaints.

5. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

RD 1: Nick Fairley - DT, Auburn
    RD 2: Da'Quan Bowers - DE, Clemson
    RD 2: Brandon Harris - CB, Miami (FL)
    RD 4: Robert Sands - S, West Virginia
    RD 5: Chykie Brown - CB, Texas
    RD 5: Jeremy Kerley - WR, TCU
    RD 7: DeAndre McDaniel - S, Clemson

1 person likes this.
  6. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

If I was GM, I'd go Quinn and Paea or Fairley/Reed for the 1 and 2 also. If there was a WR in the 3rd that wasn't a reach I'd go for him. But that's cause if I was GM i'd not have drafted KJ last year over McCourty/Wilson and I'd have big big FA plans this offseason.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

I like what this guy said.:p

I'll take those 7 guys. That guy at QB, WR, DT/NT, DE, LB, CB, S:)

1. DL N. Fairley(though knowing our luck, this guy would probably turn out to be a nothing)
    2. LB B. Reed
    2. DB B. Harris
    4. WR J.Kerley
    5. DB T. Sash
    5. LB C. Carter
    7. OT L. Ziemba
    7. LB M. Herzlich

Something like that.

8. msn

msn Member

Julius Peppers.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I think the last two picks in your draft have more potential than your first two.

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I'm surprised I'm saying this, but....I'm very okay with what they did in rounds 1 and 2 (technically 3)....if they quietly, very quietly, came to the conclusion that there's a good chance Mario Williams won't be successful in this scheme.

If you were confident about him at end...why even throw out the possibility of standing him up at times? Why take Watt when Fairley would be a hands down leap over Mitchell at tackle? If Mario does bust in this scheme, Watt is a picture perfect guy to take over.

What I didn't love was the trade back move in round 4. Maybe they'll prove me wrong, I'm not a Cat-approved, sanctioned, certified professional scout....but I looked at Quinton Carter as a nice prospect as a cover safety (Wade wants two for his scheme). I know the word is they like him, but Shiloh Keo's rep is a hit-first, cover-if-you-can box safety...the exact type of guy Wade said he didn't need when he waived Pollard. Seeing as I don't expect them to sign Weddle or Huff, I would have liked to see Carter brought in to join Nolan, Quin, and (probably) Sensabaugh.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I have no problem with any of the picks after JJ Watt.

I would have taken a flyer on the potential Beast that is Nick Fairley instead of JJ. We needed a Beast and Fairley could have been one.

12. msn

msn Member

lol @ "I'm not a Cat-approved, sanctioned, certified professional scout". :grin:

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Patrick Peterson

14. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i would have had a hard time passing fairley or Quinn with that first pick...even if the 3-4 isnt his ideal fit, the guy just has a ton of talent.

I might have tried to get robert sanders as well.

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

You would have been willing to give up this year's first, second, AND third round picks?? And that's just to get the negotiations GOING......

16. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

absolutely

17. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

probably even a next year's #2.

18. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I would have surrendered a 2nd rounder to take Tony Hollings in the supplemental draft.

19. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I would have traded 2nd and 3rd round picks for Phillip Buchanon.

I got a good feeling about this guys :cool:

20. Im Just Sayin

Im Just Sayin Member