1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans Draft Pick Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Icehouse, Dec 24, 2006.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Who would the Patriots want at #8 badly enough to deal 2 first-rounders? The Patriots should just stockpile talent like they usually do unless there is some stud (which there isn't) who they must have.

2. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

[​IMG]

Is there anyway to get Joe Thomas? The guy is going to be one of the best left tackles for the next decade, at least...

I would trade two picks for him if I had the chance.

3. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

sportingnews.com has the war room with player profiles for the draft and free agency and its like 4.99 a month, but if you're a football junkie its a must. I'm really warming up to the okoye guy from Loiuville. i can picture okoye and sands killing the run with Mario coming up the field and having a guy like Merriweather or Rouse at safety. I also like meecham opposite of johnson. If anyone has $5 a month, its worth it.

4. wesnesked

wesnesked Contributing Member

I'm sick of hearing about "can't miss OL'', guys that will "hold down the spot for a decade" Lets just face it, there are no guarentee's in the NFL draft, especially with OL being top 5 picks (Mike Williams, Lenord Davis, Robert Gallery) While I beleive that Joe Thomas is a good player..to say he's "can't miss" is just wrong.

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I'm with you on Okoye. I want that kid. He's young, smart, big, and strong. I think he's going to be a stud and he's not even full grown. I'd trade down and see if we could get an extra pick and get him and defensive backfield help. The offensive lineman are all pick 'ems after Joe Thomas anyways. Get that defense to smacking, then pick up another OL in the 3rd or fourth. I think Taylor is our back.

6. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Joe Thomas is a can't miss player.

Zoom, zoom, zoom...

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Agreed. Sometimes you just KNOW there is NO WAY you can miss with a high draft pick.

Sincerely,

Tony Mandarich

8. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Yes. Picking the biggest bust ever as an example is very rational.

Drafting offensive tackles high in the draft is more than likely always going to fail.

Sincerely,

Anthony Munoz
    William Roaf
    Jonathan Ogden
    Orlando Pace
    D'Brickashaw Ferguson

[By the way, the post you're quoting was sarcastic, because I had never said anyone was "can't miss." I was just replying (glibly) to someone going off on a little rant. Joe Thomas could get his leg chewed off by a beaver in the woods the day after the draft.]

[​IMG]

9. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

By every measure, Joe Staley might be the perfect zone-blocking tackle. He won't work miracles for pass protection like Joe Thomas, but he's available when the Texans pick in the second round, it'd be a shame to pass him up.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

The post you're quoting was also sarcastic.

11. jojobabbu

jojobabbu Member

If the Texans manage to get AP, this years draft combined with lasts years draft would be a HUGE move in the right direction....ofcourse my thinking is that AP > Reggie Bush. If they do manage to get AP I would spend the rest of the picks on the OL...ofcourse it all depends what they do in free agency....lotta what ifs right now.....just out of curiousity who would you take, AP or Reggie???

12. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Then end it with something like "Yahtzee!" I ended mine with "zoom,zoom, zoom."

:cool:

13. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Hey, we turned out pretty good for first rounders as well ... couple pro bowls and so far one to the HOF!

signed

Mike Munchak
    Bruce Matthews

WOP ALA DOO WOP, A WOP BAM BOOM !!!

14. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

AP is only worth the #8 pick if everyone else you pass on has some serious question marks.

He has been injury prone through out college. Minor injuries maybe, but missing as much as he has does not look right for durability which is very important for your RB. Because of the injury issues at RB I would definately weigh out the options of taking a back or two in the later rounds.

If the Texans stay at #8 they must get a playmaker who has pro bowl potential- go for the best player based upon domination at the college level. I don't think AP dominated at his position BECAUSE of injuries.

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I still think the priority should remain with DT, OT, or a safety. If Branch happens to be there at #8, you've got to take him. A run stuffer that can get to the qb would be huge to pair up with Mario. Any help that can aleviate the constant double teams would make a big difference. Joe Thomas would also be wonderful if he was available. You can't count on Spencer coming back and Winston is more suited at guard. If those 2 are gone and Landry is available, I think he has to be the pick.

I just don't see Kubiak drafting AP. I would simply be a move to please the fans that are still pissed about last year. I think AP is good and might just be a very good pro. He does have some injury concerns but not enough to not be a top 10 pick. However, Kubiak et al know that RB isn't the top priority. I'd love to see them go after Ahman Green in free agency. I've heard a rumor that Clinton Portis could possibly become available, too, with the emergence of Ladell Betts.

16. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I don't agree, based on pure talent, AP is the best in the draft, maybe #2 to Russell. No player in the draft had a season to match his best college season.

So you might be able to get a top 2 type talent for a #8 pick. He has more upside than any player sans Russell. Yes he is more of an injury risk too.

Greater risk, but greater reward. I think the Texans have to go for a homerun both for football reasons (they really don't have many or perhaps any truly great players) and PR.

17. wood

wood Member

Let's say the Texans draft AP with the #8 pick, then, in a long shot, they are somehow able to aquire Vick from Atlanta. The Texans would end up with Mario Williams, AP and Vick. If this DREAM would become reality, would this make people forget about VY and/or Reggie Bush?

18. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

And his best college season was 2 years ago, with two seasons that wouldn't be worth first round picks to follow that up. Again, the freshman Adrian Peterson doesn't exist anymore, and I wouldn't be willing to bet a #8 pick that he's coming back.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If Vick ends up the qb of this team I won't be watching their games. The guy blows as an NFL passer and his cap number is crazy. This team is already in a bad cap situation relative to overall team talent. I don't want them blowing the little room they have to put Michael Vick back there behind a crap offensive line. Our offense is already stagnant. Imagine what it would be like when the qb doesn't even have accuracy working for him.

20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

But it is not like he is going to have a chance to pass. Vick will be running for life, after a three step drop.