1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans contacted former Rockets GM Daryl Morey about GM job

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DaBeard, Nov 23, 2020.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

BOB is terribad and I'm glad he's gone, but I do not want Rick Smith back. That dude absolutely blew ass at the draft. At least he didn't make horrendously stupid trades though.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

The moral of the picture isn't "BOB bad" as much as it is "BOB not responsible for good thing".

3. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

To clarify, I pretty much believe his story even though he's probably just making it known so his job prospects improve. My question was in regards to moving up to the 6th pick. My understanding was that wasn't something he talked about. He did mention spending a day on the phone before the draft trying to move up, and nothing materialized, so maybe that's the 6th pick situation.

Either way, I wouldn't doubt the majority of the story being true. OB was completely clueless with anything regarding personnel decisions.

4. showa13

showa13 Member

Well BoB wasn't responsible for many good things, but that pic is just a case of bad optics. People try to use this to say BoB wasn't happy about the Deshaun pick and that's not true at all.

5. showa13

showa13 Member

I see what you mean now, and the move to 6 was something that appeared to be leaked, but I would imagine there was no support for that move cause Mahomes was listed higher than Deshaun on everyone's board but Rick's. Deshaun was his top prospect from day 1.

6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Rick Smith 2nd round and later picks: Jacoby Jones, Connor Barwin, Glover Quin, Brooks Reed, TJ Yates, Brandon Brooks, Ben Jones, Randy Bullock, Ryan Griffin, Alfred Blue, Andre Hal, Bernardrick McKinney, DJ Reader, Zach Cunningham

undrafted free agents: Mike Brisiel, Arian Foster, Bryan Braman, Brett Hartmann, Case Keenum, AJ Bouye, Greg Mancz, Kai Fairbairn, Brennan Scarlett, Dylan Cole

He whiffed bad some years, but IMO he has a quality body of work. Allowed Koobs to ride with Schaub too long, and couldnt fix the QB until the end. This team could and DID do worse than Rick Smith.

STR8Thugg likes this.
  7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

LOL I will graciously disagree! I dont have as bad a disposition for Rick Smith as some other guys. After suffering through the OBrien regime I'd happily welcome him back!

8. conquistador#11

Pancakes just said no one in the Texans contacted Daryl so you know what that means. .

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Dude, no.

Look at the horror show of 2007-2017.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_Texans_draft_history#2007

The amount of drafts we had where the entire class was a legit washout and total loss is embarrassing.

It would be hard to replicate that level of failure on purpose.

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

We've done worse. Again Im not pushing a "Hire Rick" campaign - but this team can and has done worse. Can it do better? Hopefully. There's plenty of good candidates when compared to the last 3-4 years. Dont forget coaching input when it comes to drafting. Koobs wanted certain players he fell in love with during the process.

If you hated Rick Smith you must have a voo doo doll of Charly Casserly!

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Rick Smith is the epitome of average. Nothing special but you could do worse.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  12. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Ughhhh Gross...

I meant to say 3rd round and later. Yes he made some very solid picks outside of the 1st and 2nd rounds, but if you exclude those there is a laundry list of miserably failed picks. It's not that he didn't draft superstars from those rounds, it's that he drafted some players that literally never took the field.

The biggest problem, and former Texans players will tell you this, is that the roster was extremely top heavy, and he didn't do a good job of filling out the roster with competent backups. Again, it wasn't even about not drafting studs in the 5th Richard Sherman-style, it was that a lot of those guys were not even NFL players.

Overall, he did a good job, and if we ever had an actual good QB during that time, we could have done some damage in the playoffs. As it was, I still believe there is a good chance we go to the Super Bowl in 2011 if Schaub doesn't get hurt. That defense was incredible.

13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

My interview list for possible GM:

Ed Dodds, Mike Borgonzi, Eliot Wolf, Jeff Ireland, Brian Xanders, Trent Kirchner and even guys like Louis Riddick and Daniel Jeremiah should be brought in to think outside the box.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I think if we researched all the GMs during the Rick Smith tenure (2007-2017) you would find he stacks up well with his contemporaries. Drafting professional football players isnt as easy as we think it is! While we will always have the benefit of hindsight and the "I would have taken player X" there emotions, its not quite an exact science especially in late rounds. Smith was responsible for the nucleus of players who brought about the best seasons for this franchise and also handed off a decent compliment of players to the OBrien regime in transition. OBrien just needed to round out the squad and he totally dismantled it and wrecked the cap in the process.

15. Red.Glare

Red.Glare Member

Many years ago before Rick drafted Watson, someone posted a GM draft evaluation graph. Rick scored in the upper echelon somewhere around 9th to 12th best in the league. For all the grief he got here, Rick was actually not that bad when compared to other GM's, just as you said.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

this doesnt encapsulate the Smith era per say, and it also has Gaine/Obrien drafts mixed in, but it does paint a picture that doesnt bely an incompetent GM in Smith and also goes on to reiterate that drafts are not all about skilled GMs in the first place.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2020/nfl-drafting-efficiency-2010-2019

Red.Glare likes this.
  17. conquistador#11

You also have to add the late rounders and undrafted that made up for the missed 2nd and 3rd rounders. It evened out. What I like about Rick was that he gave way to his coaches, like Rockstar Wade standing on the table for Watt. That was a Wade pick and Rick didn't get bent out of shape about it. He believed in Wade' s love for Watt's big hands. Pay me, Rick!

18. SuraGotMadHops

I say give Luhnow a shot

19. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Who gives a ****. BoB is gone and destroyed the franchise while making millions doing it. As far as I'm concerned BoB is not hated enough by the city of Houston. The man does not deserve any breaks when it comes to how much hate should be thrown his way.

20. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

WTF?!? "Hey Dez, is your mom a prostitute?" Guy was a terrible Dolphins GM.