1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans contacted former Rockets GM Daryl Morey about GM job

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DaBeard, Nov 23, 2020.

1. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

Did you listen to the audio? He never mentioned the Texans.

Bandwagoner, donkeypunch and Rudyc281 like this.
  3. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

only 2 teams have an opening... the other is the Falcons.

No he didn't specifically say, bc that's not something you would do, but I feel pretty confident the odds aren't 50/50 between the Texans and Falcons

4. STR8Thugg

Love it. Wish he would have stayed in H town.

No Worries, BHannes2BHonest and Blatz like this.
  5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Put a call out to Lunhow.

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

That would have been a horrible idea. He actually was making jest of the team for even considering him. Basketball analytics/personnel and football analytics/personnel are not the same.

Not to mention dude didn't accomplish his ultimate goal in the NBA yet.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  7. Nimo

Nimo Member

...or a team that is looking at getting rid of its GM. It was a very preliminary reach-out.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Nahh Morey would try to convince everybody that every play should be a trick play.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. STR8Thugg

Yeah you're not wrong, but Morey didn't have a basketball background when he joined the Rockets. Luhnow didn't have a baseball background when he joined the Cardinals.

I'm not saying it would have worked, but it's an intriguing idea. He's obviously a very smart guy, and analytics can be adapted and utilized in to any sport.

Also, Morey always downplays things, and is self-deprecating. That's just his personality.

joshuaao likes this.
  10. STR8Thugg

Possibly, but I don't think it's really that farfetched to connect the dots.

It would be most logical that the team in the town he was already a GM would be the one that reached out. They know him the best, probably personally on some level, and they've seen from the side of their eye how valuable he was to the Rockets.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rather have Luhnow.

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

its a GM thread so screw it!

Did anyone catch the interview Schefter did with Rick Smith??

Apparently the Deshaun Watson pick WAS an independent selection by Rick. Did not have complete team support including OBrien in that selection. Just sayin'.

Here I go... if they hired Rick Smith back I would not be mad!!

13. showa13

showa13 Member

He didn't have support to move up to 6 and get him(would've cost the same as they paid for 12), but once Mahomes(who BoB wanted) was off the board BoB was in support of the move to get up to 12 to take him(Cardinals were going to take Deshaun at 13). Rick Smith was one of the best ever at evaluating 1st round talent, but that is about all he was good at.

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...sodeGuid=3785533e-abfb-11ea-bb10-9b7ba3b3270a

its the latest one obviously .. fast forward to around the 29 minute mark for the relevant stuff .. I think the whole context of the way Rick delivered the scenario doesn't necessarily paint a happy war room in that draft, and that OBrien "being onboard" after it was going to happen no matter what was just more shoulder shrugging by the chin. Remember that Tom Savage was named the starter just as soon as OBrien could name him such. Watson never got any burn with the 1st string that year and was only thrust into action when Savage turned into the gym teacher everybody thought he was. Nothing about the way Obrien handled this situation screams confidence in Smith.

Smith had his issues in rounds 3 and after (like most other GMs), but his 1st two rounds were pretty good and I'd kill to have even that level of competence on this staff right now.

joshuaao likes this.
  15. STR8Thugg

I don't want him back. That shipped has sailed, but he did a really fantastic job of drafting in the first round.

The 2nd round on? ehhhhhhhh... yikes.

16. STR8Thugg

Are you sure that's what he was saying?

To be fair I've only heard snippets, but from what I heard he said nothing about moving up to 6.

Either way it doesn't surprise me that the clown who traded a 3rd for Duke Johnson, 2 firsts for Tunsel (I love Tunsel but still), Hopkins for a 2nd and swap a better 4th round pick... The guy that doesn't value draft capital, but somehow was opposed to trading up for Deshaun Watson. Right...

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

thats a proud papa right there! Thank goodness he went "rogue" on that pick.

19. showa13

showa13 Member

Thats been floated around over the last few years, but it wasn't mentioned in the interview.

He's going to say that it was only him cause he's trying to get another job. Everything was said to make Rick look amazing so he can angle for another job. I would imagine he's going to at minimum get a few interviews.

20. showa13

showa13 Member

I know we all love to bash BoB(I'll lead the bashing) but again it's been reported that he was in the middle of writing a text to Deshaun when this picture was taken. I'm not defending BoB by any means but this pic has been taken way out of contex.

And to add, it's a big ol no for me when it comes to bringing back Rick Smith.