1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans at the Quarter Mark of the Season

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by emjohn, Oct 3, 2011.

?

How do you feel about the Texans' start to the season?

1. They're doing much better than I expected!

7 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. They're doing a little better than I expected.

34 vote(s)
    34.3%
  3. This is what I expected.

51 vote(s)
    51.5%
  4. I was hoping for more at this point.

7 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. emjohn

emjohn Member

Matt Schaub: #6 (QBR), #8 (Comp%), #9 (TD)

Mario Williams and Antonio Smith are BOTH tied for #5 in the NFL for sacks (4.0). Texans are 5th in the league in sacks per game.

Ben Tate, in 3 games, is still the #8 rusher in the league while after only 1.3 games Foster is already #27. Both are going at a 4.7 yards per carry clip - putting them in a tie for #15 in the league.

Andre Johnson is #9 in receiving yards, despite leaving early yesterday.

Rackers is 4th in the league in scoring (41 points), tied for second in FGs made, and tied with two others (100% on 10-for10).

Danieal Manning is #9 in KO return yardage...and #4 in average yards per return. Jacoby Jones is #4 in punt return yardage and 5th in return average.

Hartmann is 13th in the league in average yards per punt and Houston is 5th in punt yardage and 6th on yards per punt.

Joseph is among a host of players tied for 5th in the league for INTs (2) and is tied for 9th in pass deflections. Houston is 9th in the league in pass deflections per game.

Houston is #10 in yards gained per game, 4th in rushing, and 8th in scoring. Also 11th in 3rd down conversions

Texans are #10 in total yards allowed, 10th in passing yards allowed, and 4th in the league in points allowed. Houston is 4th in the AFC in turnover ratio.

Only three teams have a higher point differential than Houston's +37. Only two teams are 4-0.

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

a little better. Offense has been what I expected for the most part.

Defense, i expected them to be better but i did not expect them to have caused so many turnovers.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

If they don't raise their level of play - and fast - they're only going to finish 12-4.

4. weslinder

weslinder Member

Offense is doing about how I expected. Defense is doing a little better than I expected. Special teams is doing much better than I expected.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

I'm the one "much better" vote so far.

I wasn't expecting the defense to be this good, and I thought Mario would struggle at LB.

The offense is as expected when taking into account injuries.

6. msn

msn Member

Is 12-4 your on-the-record prediction as of Week 4, Ric? :grin:

7. aggie87

aggie87 Member

I expected us to be 2-2 thus far, did not expect the pass rush this season, the defensive picks and our 3-1 record

8. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Exactly what I expected. I forsee a Raiders win and Ratbirds loss on the way to a division crown.

9. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

3-1 is what I expected. Cream the Colts/Dolphins and split with the Saints/Steelers.

10. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

as a record, I was expecting this, but the defense has stepped up, and they almost win against the saints, so I voted a little better than I expected.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

3-1 is very satisfying. If the Texans split the next two games and Schaub remains healthy the rest of the season, it should be a fun ride.

12. meh

meh Member

The poll choices doesn't exactly capture my feelings on the team. I "expect" them to be 3-1 right now. As in, Colts and Miami should've been wins after Manning's out. And there's no reason why this team can't split Pitt and NO 1-1.

The problem is that year after year the Texans always seem to lose more than I expect. So in that sense the fact that they've actually performed to standard is a surprise in of itself.

Given the crappiness of the division, I expected 10-6 division winner. That's still on track. Jags and Colts look horrible, so as long as we take care of business against Tennesse(at least split 1-1) we should be sitting pretty.

13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

That's what WE ALL said! :grin:

14. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Member

I kinda expected this but I didn't expect our defense to be as effective as it has been at times. Granted.. we have played some mediocre opponents, but it's still a ways better than last seasons D. There's still a few issues in the secondary, but I can live with it. Overall though, our schedule doesn't look very tough form hear on out aside from a couple of iffy games.

15. emjohn

emjohn Member

Not polling about the 3-1 record so much as how the team is performing overall. I'm personally thrilled with how well the defense has done. Offense isn't "in stride" but still doing well. Special teams have looked better than last season.

16. leroy

leroy Member

As I expected. Need to finish better in the red zone. But with Arian back, I'm guessing that will improve.

Defensively has been incredibly better when compared to last year.

Special teams continues to be disappointing. Can't cover and can't return. Though the punting and kicking have been excellent thus far.

17. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

2 blocked FGs.

Manning is 4th in return on kickoffs and Jacoby is 5th in punt returns.

Hartman is 5th in return avg on punts and 13th in avg distance.

Rackers is 100% so far.

SProles broke some returns but overall it's hard to say they have been disappointing thus far.

18. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Member

fail part 2- Ain't no guessing. With Arian back, it's already better - Owen Daniels can attest to that