1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans after LB Walli Rainer, delay in a trade for Moulds

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by RocketFire, Apr 4, 2006.

1. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

www.chron.com

April 4, 2006, 12:10AM
    Trade for Moulds hits minor hitch
    Bills haggling with Texans over compensation

By MEGAN MANFULL
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Talks continued Monday between the Texans and Buffalo Bills over wide receiver Eric Moulds, who is in town to meet with Texans officials and take a physical.

Last week, Moulds, 32, agreed to a $14 million four-year contract with the Texans, which included a $5 million signing bonus. But because Moulds is under contract for two more years with the Bills, the Texans must give compensation to the Bills to make the trade complete.

Negotiations between Texans general manager Charley Casserly and Bills general manager Marv Levy continued Monday. The Bills are asking for a fourth-round pick in the April draft; the Texans are offering a fifth-round pick.

If the Bills don't accept the Texans' offer, they risk losing Moulds for nothing. They have failed in their attempts to restructure Moulds' contract, and they have made it clear to Moulds that they will not pay the base salary of $7.1 million that he's due next season.

If the Bills cut Moulds, they receive no compensation.

Moulds, 6-2 and 210 pounds, spent the past 10 seasons in Buffalo. The three-time Pro Bowler has accumulated more than 1,000 receiving yards in four seasons, most recently in 2004. If he joins the Texans, he will start opposite Andre Johnson.

Also Monday, the Texans denied they are pursuing a deal to land receiver Jerome Pathon. But the team is showing interest in linebacker Wali Rainer.

The eight-year veteran spent the past three seasons with the Detroit Lions.

Rainer 6-2 and 240, also has played with the Cleveland Browns and Jacksonville Jaguars.

megan.manfull@chron.com

I hope we give up our 5th pick for Moulds, that would be the sweetest deal of the offseason.

2. superden

superden Member

so if we don't make the deal and he gets cut, what are the chances of him signing with us still?

3. stevel

stevel Member

Since we have a contract in place and we are in close proximity to his hometown, probably pretty good.

4. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

I don't know, he can still ditch us if he gets cut. I hope bills come to their senses and take the 5th round pick because they aint getting crap if they cut him.

5. MadMax

MadMax Member

i don't like that either. remember, his agent was saying earlier that Philly was his first choice.

6. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

If they cut him, then they get nothing. They'll take the 5th pick and like it. :D

7. mateo

mateo Member

I'm not sure he's Philly's first choice, however.

8. gucci888

gucci888 Member

Just give them the 4th Rounder. Yes, this draft is deep but finding a NFL starter in the 4th is unlikely, especially w/ CC's track record. We have #1, #33, #65, #66, and Moulds, that's pretty good IMO.

9. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Member

The 4th round is Casserly's money round, he's already drafted a Pro Bowler (Mathis), two starters (Davis and Earl) and another solid contributer (Wells) with his four 4th round picks. So I'd say given Casserly's track record, there's a damn good chance we'd get an NFL starter in the 4th round, especially when you consider this draft's depth. We are in a position of strength in this situation, the Bills have zero leverage, they either take the 5th rounder, or they get nothing.

10. swilkins

swilkins Member

If the Bills don't take our deal, they get nothing.

They are not exactly in a position to negotiate. They would be fools to be stubborn.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

While I understand Casserly's track record in the 4th round, I think it's just dumb luck. If this deal goes through because they won't take a 4th, I will be very very very pissed off. I can't believe Lance Zerlein called trading the 4th rounder for Moulds "disasterous".

12. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Member

I wouldn't call 4 out of 4 dumb luck.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That blind squirrel just happened to find that same acorn the same time every April. I don't think he magically becomes a good GM the first round on Sunday.

14. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

anyone know much about Wali Rainer? Seen him play? I will confess that I know nothing about him..

15. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Member

He was a good MLB for the Jags his first few years, but has been on the bench for the last three in Detroit. He's solid stuffing the run up the middle, but he lacks speed, so he has trouble going from sideline to sideline and in pass coverage. He'd be a back up / special teamer, nothing more.

16. mateo

mateo Member

The problem is that our 4th is the first pick of the second day. You get an extra night to focus on that sketchy player that may never play.

17. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Member

done deal now

18. Rockets34Legend

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/news_detail.php?PRKey=2479

Texans sign Rainer, Schifino

HOUSTON – The Houston Texans have agreed to contracts with unrestricted free agent LB Wali Rainer and free agent WR Jake Schifino, it was announced today.

Rainer (6-2, 240) played in all 16 games last season for the Detroit Lions, starting five. His career totals include 690 total tackles, four sacks and an interception in seven seasons. A fourth-round pick (124 th overall) by the Cleveland Browns in 1999, Rainer has played in 110 career games with 64 starts for Cleveland (1999-2001), Jacksonville (2002) and Detroit (2003-05).

Schifino (6-1, 201) has played in 14 career games and has averaged 20.1 yards on 35 career kick returns. The 26-year-old former Akron Zip was a fifth-round selection (151 st pick overall) by the Tennessee Titans in 2002 and played for the Titans from 2002-05. Schifino spent training camp with the New England Patriots in 2005, but was released prior to the start of the regular season.

19. FireBlizzard90

maybe, but the bill have other offers too...

20. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

you must be one really confused dude.. or maybe you just don't read anything in threads aside from the title..?