1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans acquire Laremy Tunsil

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Aug 31, 2019.

?

Do you like the trade?

Poll closed Aug 30, 2020.
  1. YES

56.1%
  2. NO

43.9%
  1. vince

vince Member

I think this O line is going to grow into a very good unit. I was try to pay particular attention to the Texans OL, and ignore the other players. I thought they looked good; they were formidable with room for improvement especially when they get a new look by the Defense.

But through and through, the Texans are going the right way.

What good is it to have all those draft picks, if the QB gets blistered game after game.... They bit the bullet, swallowed their crow, and accepted they struck out looking for Olinemen in the draft, and traded for a good One in Tunsil!!!!

2. Nook

Nook Member

Then they better draft exceptionally well...... because they are at a severe disadvantage in the draft the next few seasons and that will be felt for a number of seasons to come. The players the Texans added via trade in Tunsil and Stills are about to get quite expensive as well.

raining threes likes this.
  3. vince

vince Member

Yes, that is the bitter pill of reality. They are going to have to be better at finding quality depth in unconventional ways. And it suck, because the NFL draft is a fabulous way to incorporate affordable talented players...

However as bitter a pill it is, it’s a better alternative than sending DeShaun Watson with a bad OL with no anchors. That was not a good idea!

Hey Now!, Nook and Blatz like this.
  4. awc713

awc713 Member

Texans need to hit on the UFA market. Hopefully undrafted players will want to come here with less competition (since we’ll have less drafted players).

5. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

In Caserio we trust

sammy and Nook like this.
  6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I went to walterfootball.com looking for some draft info yesterday. For years, if a team so ridiculously overpaid for a free agent that it made you shake your head in confusion, he has given that signing a "Millen" grade after notoriously horrible GM Matt Millen.

Well, he's added a new one. If a trade that is so horribly lopsided that it makes you shake your head in confusion, that trade will now be given an "O'Brien" grade, thanks to Billy O's recent spate of GM'ing wizardry.

Obviously just the opinion of one resident of the peanut gallery, but that is a pretty infamous honor to have bestowed on you. Matt Millen was the laughing stock of the NFL for years until the Lions cut him loose and is on the short list for worst GM in NFL history.

Nook likes this.
  7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Ryan Grigson gets mine for ruining Andrew Luck.

I’m glad we have a de facto GM that doesn’t want that to happen to his QB.

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I think we have to at least give this a chance to play out. If this OL is significantly better this year and moving forward... It's really hard to find fault because it accomplished exactly what we hoped it would.

And while it doesn't shift the trade dynamic significantly, I would like to add that people are not giving enough credit to them squeezing Stills into the deal. I wish they could've gotten one more player out of it, too - but Stills looks all the world like he'll be a very nice additional weapon for Watson.

raining threes likes this.
  9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

It was significantly better against the Jags who came in to Houston and dropped 10 sacks on Houston 2 years ago.

One sack was due to a bad snap.
    Another was due to a poor spot when Watson ran out of bounds
    The other two were on Watson for not getting rid of the ball.

Zero sacks per the film we’re from an O-Line getting beat. Huge improvement.

vince, raining threes and Hey Now! like this.
  10. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think anybody thinks any of the players they got, maybe outside of Mingo are trash. And Mingo, actually, would be a fine special teams/part time player at the right price.

It is the value of what they sent out relative to the return. A Toyota Camery is a fine, reliable car - if you need a functional car it is near the top of my list of cars you should buy. If you tell me you paid the list price for a new Bentley to get it, as much as I appreciate the reliability of a Camery and think it is a great car, you made a bad deal.

Mingo is actually a pretty good example. If the Browns had drafted him in the third round, he would be remembered as a fine player. If he were a 7th rounder, he'd be remembered as a savvy draft sleeper pick. But instead, the Browns paid the 6th overall pick for him in 2013, drafting him many picks before the Texans used their pick on DeAndre Hopkins and thus he is widely remembered as a huge draft bust.

#530 Ottomaton, Sep 18, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    Rashmon, Houstunna and Nook like this.
  11. raining threes

The Greir family aren't known to be creative people.

Every team Chris and his dad has been a part of have ended up worse for it, including the Texans org.

Nook likes this.
  12. raining threes

They should be able to draft well, they have draft capital next yr.

2nd
    Two 3rd's
    4-1 and their pick

Out of these 5 picks I bet they can find 3 starters, like the Reid/Akins/Coutee draft.

Nook likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

Kenny Stills is a good addition. He has one year on his contract after this one, so we may not have him for too long.... but he helps the Texans with the unpredictable health of Fuller etc.

Hey Now! and raining threes like this.
  14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Hopefully that and not the Miller, Ervin, Dillon draft. Or the Strong, Mumphery, Cliett draft. But agree there is some capital to work with, the last 2 drafts have been pretty good.

Nook and raining threes like this.
  15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Walter football has personal issues with the Texans organization.

rfrocket likes this.
  17. raining threes

Yes they do,

Anybody know what the issues stem from?

eliefor3 likes this.
  18. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

So Do I!!! (as a fan)

eliefor3 likes this.
  19. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

screw those guys, no one is allowed to rag on Texans except for us Texans fans!

20. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Hope his ankle is good.