1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans 2nd Round Possibilities

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by The Real Shady, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think there is any question, it only takes one idiot, someone will draft Manziel and try to turn him into an NFL QB and lose their job as a result.

2. htownb4lla

htownb4lla Member

Cut Schaub

Draft

1st - Jadeveon Clowney - pick up any extra picks we can if we find a team that wants bridgewater or manziel.

2nd - A.J. McCarron

3rd - D'anthony Thomas

4th - Best available from here on out

Let the following players walk in FA

Andrew Gardner
    Jarvis Green
    Ryan Harris
    Greg Jones
    Elbert Mack
    Joe Mays
    Darryl Sharpton
    Antonio Smith
    Ben Tate

Try and resign G.G. and W. Smith if the money is right.

Throw some money at Orakpo & Taylor Mays depending on the price tags.

In a vacuum that would be my texans offseason.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm with you part of the way

Obvious move

Solid, but I don't anticipate anyone wanting Manziel or Bridgewater enough to give up enough to make a trade down worth it.

I feel we could do better than McCarron in the 2nd, but not the worst idea

Here's where I start to disagree, we won't be drafting a RB, we have Foster and we've shown an amazing ability to find guys who go undrafted. We have too many holes to be spending a 3rd rounder on a backup RB.

I would argue that we should go best available in a position of need or weakness instead of just BPA but solid advice.

I'd try to keep Mays and Harris if they were affordable, I'd let the rest walk.

If Graham is cheap, sure, but he's not worth throwing too much money at and I wouldn't want Smith back no matter what.

If we draft Clowney, we won't need Orakpo

4. Remii

Remii Member

At this points... I'd rather get Logan Thomas in the 5th or 6th round instead of taking any of those guys with an early pick. At least he looks the part and has all the tools.

None of the QBs in this draft may not be better than Case so why burn an early pick on one. Just bring in a cheap veteran and let them battle it out with Case and maybe Logan can be developed while he's on the bench.

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Why is cutting Schaub an obvious move? Why is it a forgone conclusion? Why not restructure his deal into a 1yr prove it type deal and give O'Brien a year to work with him?

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well Schaub wasn't ever going to be a QB who would age well and IMO he's done. Cutting him will save the team 4 mil this season and a whole lot more moving forward. There's no way that Schaub isn't cut.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I was just listing the QB's who almost certainly would be available in the 2nd round, some of them would be available in the 3rd or later rounds as well. I'm sure we could add Logan Thomas' name to the list, but he's WAY down the list.

8. Remii

Remii Member

If VY and Tebow can have success in the NFL, it's a strong possibility Johnny can too. And Johnny is possibly already a better passer than Kaepernick, IMO. And if he falls outside the top 10-15 there won't be as great a risk factor in drafting him to cost people their jobs.

9. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

The kid is an amazing talent. I don't think it's an idiot move to take a chance on him in the latter part of the first round. Yeah he is a bit of a project and you have to kind of build an offense around him but he will be able to run at the next level (albeit not as much) and he does have a decent arm, he throws on the run well and in the Duke game he showed he can pass in the pocket some.

Yeah he's a bit of a risk but he'll come in the league being able to do a few things better than almost any QB in the league and the other stuff he'll have to learn.

10. Old Man Rock

Not to mention the fans would want somebody's head early on for keeping him. There's no question no one gets booed as much as he did and recovers without an amazing run. I don't see any amazing runs left in Schaub.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Neither VY or Tebow had success in the NFL though...

I think he is an amazing college talent, but his game doesn't translate to the NFL. He's not a good or smart enough passer to be a game manager and strictly running QB's never work out long term. He's an athlete without an NFL position.

That said, I'm sure someone will try him in the Kaepernick mold and he'll have some highlight runs and maybe a hail mary pass or two, but that's pretty much his upside. On the right team, one that asks almost nothing from the QB position like Seattle or San Fran, that could be enough.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think anyone on the coaching staff really cares what the fans think. Listen to the fans and you end up sitting with them.

If they though he had anything at all left, they might give him a chance, but that's unlikely.

13. Remii

Remii Member

He's way down the list but it's not like the guys at the top of the list are that high and the separation between them is that great. If he gives an impressive interview and shows he's capable of learning and being coached _ why not Thomas...? He's huge, mobile, and has a cannon. He has the best physical make up of any QB in this draft.

Just give O'Brien a QB with the tools and let him build a QB. And i would defiantly rather roll the dice on Logan than Zach.

14. Old Man Rock

You won't here me argue too hard for Manziel. Up until the Duke game I didn't see much pocket presence from him at all. But he is the most elusive college QB I have ever seen period and to think none of that will transfer to the next level is not realistic.

Also while he doesn't read defenses so well in the pocket he does read them pretty well on the run. Those two things are transferable IMO and his arm is at least decent.

That doesn't even include his enthusiasm for the game. He is a kind of an in your face lets get it done kind of guy. I think there is enough of an upside to take a shot on him late in the first round. Especially if you need a QB and you already have players that compliment him.

15. Remii

Remii Member

Depends on your definition of success.

16. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Skov is no where close to a first rounder. The dude cannot run at all!

He will be exposed in the nfl. Pass.

17. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Pre-knee injury he was a surefire first rounder. Amazing instincts, just unfortunate what happened to him.

Reminded me a lot of Luke Kuechly.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's true. My definition of success in the NFL is being competent at the position you play at the NFL level. Neither VY or Tebow were competent QB's at the NFL level no matter what record their team had.

19. Remii

Remii Member

Ok. No argument.

That's the same argument I make that Brees and Rodgers is no different than Flacco because his playoff record is just as good if not better than theirs.

We all pick and choose a criteria to judge players.

20. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

1) Wade smith - Why? He's terrible.
    2) Brian Orakpo - You realize the Texans are in salary cap hell, and there is no way we can afford a high priced FA, right?
    3) Taylor Mays - He can't cover a twin bed with a king sized blanket, right?
    4) D'anthony Thomas - Luxury pick. Texans are in no position for luxury picks.
    5) A.J. McCarron - lolololololololol

Your plan can't get any worse.

1 person likes this.