1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans 2nd Round Possibilities

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by The Real Shady, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I came here to post Aaron Donald. Someone beat me to it. He'd be a great fit. A little Watt-esque. Obviously won't be as good, but he's big enough, quick, versatile, and can probably play tackle and end.

In the third, I'd love Shane Skov. I think he's gonna be a player. We need a middle linebacker pretty bad. I don't think Brooks Reed is the answer.

2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

He seems like he would be very good in a 1-gap system, but unless Romeo is changing his ways the DE's primary job is to occupy two blockers so the LB's can make the plays.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737460/aaron-donald

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think there is any way in the world that Shayne Skov would fall to the third he's a fringe first rounder.

4. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

I'm hoping Jason Verrett will drop a few spots to us in the 2nd round. He's an absolute shut down corner in one on one, would be extremely valuable for our secondary.

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm thinking more in Wade's system, which is obviously not what we will use. He could still be a great fit. We need an end and a nose.

As far as Skov, I figured he was a fringe first rounder, also, but I've seen him mocked mid third round on quite a few mocks recently. Doesn't mean a ton, seeing as to how we are waiting on the combine.

6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Still, someone is going to get a very good WR at the top of the 2nd round if Matthews from Vandy is still on the board. I do think Houston could use a burner, which Matthews is not,so he'd be a poor fit. But I think he's a blue chip prospect; Anquan Boldin type.

I basically don't want to spend a single draft pick on a skill-position player if I can help it. You're right, we have talent at the WR position and we have so many other needs. Personally I'd like to renegotiate OD's contract from 6 to 3.5, extend him a year or two and call it a day. Between Andre, Hopkins, Martin, Posey, OD, and Griffen, there's really no reason to spend a pick on a skill position in this draft; except under some ridiculous circumstance where there's a guy you absolutely can't pass up.

I think NT, RT, LG, OLB, ILB, DE, and even CB are all positions I could see us addressing at the top of the 2nd. If we cut Daniel Manning to save $6 mil in cap space add FS to the list as well.

7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not a second round pick - more like 3rd or 4th, but I have to think RAC has taken notice of the human mountain that is Daniel McCullers. RAC seems to be a fan of the truly huge (350+ lb) NT's. His last 1st round pick in KC was Dontari Poe, who people viewed at the time as a major project. Also, played Ted Washington in NE and Cleveland.

8. Aruba77

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Would you be willing to bet on Kiper's assumption??

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2nTuTv2qs9Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1st rd: 1st pick
    Clowney

2nd: 1st pick
    Manziel???

10. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Are there any solid quarterbacks that would be available this round? In case we take Clowney with the first.

11. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

My sleeper second round pick is Trevor Reilly. I've watched Beasley, Barr, Shazier and Trent Murphy and I put Reilly ahead of all of them. The thing that has people sway away from him is he had the same injury as Derick Rose, torn ACL. But here's the kicker, he refused to stop playing last year. He PLAYED on a TORN ACL! It was a fluke accident and he finished the season on it.

This kid has a motor like JJ Watt and a work ethic to boot. Yeah I said it, not saying he will be as good as JJ Watt but the kid makes plays he gets in on tackles, makes sacks and forces fumbles he is around almost every play.

He had surgery after the season and was playing in spring drills. He says he doesn't have all of his speed back but he still makes plays.

He plays all over the field for UTAH, OLB, ILB, DE even tackle some times. If he adds a few pounds he can easily play DE for us but I see him as an OLB. The thing is the injury worries you but it was a fluke and his toughness to play with and unlike Rose to come back so quickly even though he is not at full speed is impressive.

Like I said he has a great motor but more than that he is a smart kid playing all over the field for utah. IMO this kid is a top ten pick without the injury. He will get faster but he is good now. Here's some footage of him against USC. I also added Trent Murphy vs USC so you can compare.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/64RaZE3PIGg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/v5Gmu1Ufys8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And here's Barr against the the lowly UTES... Not a fan of Barr's, has speed but little motor and can be blocked with one guy mostly.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sZo0XrMU2MU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If we get Bridgewater and Reilly the first 2 rounds I would be a happy Texan.

12. Remii

Remii Member

It's some VERY GOOD tight ends in this draft. We need one of those basketball playing type dudes at that position who can be a playmaker. They should just let O.D. go and invest that money in a veteran RT to play along with the kid they drafted last year and kick Newton to the bench for depth. And I think our young guards will be fine. Maybe draft an offensive lineman in the back of the draft or an undrafted free agent.

They need to throw a little money at the offensive line and use those draft picks on other positions.

1 person likes this.
  13. Aruba77

I like the idea of cutting OD, saving the $6 mil, paying a guy like Eugene Monroe $5 mil to be our RT, and then maybe draft a guard in the 5th round. With Brennan Williams and Queesenbery as depth, our o-line would be in great shape. But I also wouldn't feel comfortable just relying on 2nd year Ryan Griffen and some rookie we draft to fill the TE spot.

14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

WR shouldn't be avoided we are one injury away from our WRs being mediocre. If Allan Robinson is on board or kelvin Benjamin I'm even hoping mike Evans runs slow enough for teams to pass on him. None of our other receivers have shown anything outside of dre and nuk. It will be nice to add one more WR.

15. Remii

Remii Member

My sleeper pick (subject to change) is Marcus Robertson in the 2nd. If he's there.

He's big, long, and fast... Joe Haden type talent.

Robertson may be better than both J-Jo and Jackson from day one. And he could arguably be the best player available if he's there for the Texans in the 2nd and having depth at the CB position is crucial. And they will be set up to let go of J-Jo (and Jackson if his contract is up) after this year and give that money to J.J.

16. Remii

Remii Member

Yea. I would rather them spend some money on that line.

I believe it's some rookies that may be available in the 3rd (or 4th) round that will be better than O.D. in the long run. But I'm only assuming the Texans will draft one because O'Brien is the head coach and we've seen what type of tight ends he's use to working with.

17. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

QB will be very interesting. After the top 8 picks, there is really only one team that would be willing to spend a 1st round pick on QB, and that's the Arizona Cardinals (Cleveland does have an additional late first if they don't take a QB early). Teddy, Johnny and Bortles have a good chance of going in the top 8. But, it's also possible that those teams see other players they like and maybe one of the 3 slips past 8. You then still have Carr and then the next group of Boyd, Mettenberger, McCarron.
    So if we do go Clowney, we'll get a decent sense of how the QB outlook will be after pick 8. However, there is always the possibility someone trades up into the late 1st to draft someone like Bortles, if he drops, to sneak ahead of the Texans.

18. Remii

Remii Member

Roberson.... No "T".

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, some are projects though.

Mettenberger could end up being the best QB in the draft because he has the IQ along with the prototypical size but some won't like him because they are so enamored with running QB's.

Murray would be an even later round pick who has some decent upside.

Carr is a QB who has the physical tools but needs to be "coached up" to handle the blitz better, if O'Brien really is the "QB whisperer" that people claim, this could be a high value pick.

McCarron is sort of an interesting idea as well. Personally I don't like him, but there are some who think he could eventually be a decent NFL QB.

Boyd is essentially a less intelligent version of Russell Wilson, he projects to be a game manager with wheels very much like Wilson or Kaepernick but his decision making is a lot closer to Kaepernick than Wilson so he may never be anything special. However, he could be coached up to the point where he'd be a "good enough" QB if the defense was stout enough.

David Fales is sort of a poor man's Derrick Carr but he has a way with making plays that some could find intriguing. He doesn't have the cannon arm that a lot would like, but he can make most throws accurately. He's not a 2nd rounder though, more like a 5th rounder.

Jimmy Garoppolo is someone who has been shooting up charts recently and there is a lot to like about him but he needs to be coached up to ever be anything worthwhile. He's got a quick mind and a great release. The right coaching and he could end up a pretty good NFL QB one day

There are plenty of options outside the first round.

1 person likes this.
  20. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member