1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texan Sign Shaun Cody

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by vjohnson, Mar 23, 2009.

1. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

With the signing of cody I don't thing the texans are going to draft a DL player this year in the draft. What do you think of the signing of this player who hasn't played much with his 4 year stint with the Lions.

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Taking a quick look at his stats . . . .

1.5 sacks in 4 years? 0 in the last 3? Good Lord! Who does he think he is? Anthony Weaver?

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Cody most likely only factors into the depth and won't affect the draft much.

4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

He's a DT. Outside of a few freaks like Haynesworth and Warren Sapp, you don't get a whole lot of sacks. They're there to stop the run and demand blockers so the outside guys can get free.

5. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

yeah, i'd rather know how much space he takes up!

6. Coog

Coog Member

First Orlovsky, then this guy--does it really make sense to sign players who weren't good enough to start for the Lions?

7. Cannonball

Yeah, signing the 3rd tackle from a team that had the leagues worst defense probably isn't going solve our DT problem. We still need a starter. He's coming in for depth, nothing more.

8. DieHard Rocket

Orlovsky did start, and did pretty well considering how bad the team was. And we signed him to be a backup in a proficient offense.

Cody ibrings competition...It's not like we're handing him a starting job. He was a second round pick a few years ago, so obviously he has/had some potential at some point to make him worth a look. A lot of things go into making a team bad (especially 0-16), but that doesn't mean that every player on that team is garbage.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Travis Johnson faints.

10. DieHard Rocket

I just realized, if Amobi has a bad/mediocre year again, we might have the most underachieving set of DT's in the history of the league.

Travis Johnson - 1st rd pick
    Amobi Okoye - 1st rd pick (top 10)
    Shaun Cody - 2nd rd pick

At least we're not paying Cody like the other two, and hopefully we'll get good years from at least two of those guys.

11. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

From what mattj said this afternoon, this dude is more of someone who can free up Mario and the others so they can get to the QB.

12. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

From a depth standpoint its a good deal for the Texans. I don't put too much stock in the fact that the guy couldn't even start for the Lions. Let's all keep in mind that no organizations player evaluation department is worse than that in Detroit. Maybe he was overlooked. Hopefully he becomes an upgrade for Travis Johnson.

13. Mattj

Mattj Member

That's not what I said. I think this dude is average at best. He sure as hell is not a pass rusher. He might be as good as Travis Johnson. 'Nuff Said.

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think it was Rich who commented on his one skill being the stunt which could potentially free up Mario for more sacks.

15. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Sorry, mattj....I thought it was you. I guess I heard your sidekick say it....which now doesn't hold much validity. :D

16. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I don't think a guy who couldn't get PT on the Lions really deter the Texans from drafting a DT. Cody will provide some depth, but I still think we need to draft a DT in the first day.

17. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

We gave this dude 9mil?????

18. Cannonball

Where'd you hear that? I thought I read on Chron.com that it was 3 years, $6 mil. But it's not up there now so maybe that's wrong.

19. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Oh ok