1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terrible officiating in the NBA thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by arno_ed, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

The officials are dicks that can't their jobs. Kevin Love will get screwed in a Rox uniform. It's mainly an issue of the Refs vs the players or who they are betting on. Silverman probably is aware of pre-determined games but won't say anything due to it being a black list benefit to NBA revenue. They making big money in Vegas.

2. ksny15

ksny15 Member

The refsin the playoffs have been ****ing awful

3. adobo

adobo Member

To be honest, it's almost impossible in today's league for the ref's to be always correct.

The rules have changed to a point where any little touches constitutes a foul...and also there are so many camera angles and replays these days that highlights mistakes by officials.

4. Andrew Wiggins

March madness was as bad as it gets.

And the nba playoffs found a way to be worse.

I blame live on-line gambling.

5. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

There is a difference between always being correct and just making strange choices. During this thread we have seen many wrong calls who were clearly wrong for everybody to see (if not 1 of the 3 refs saw it they should nog have this job), or were they treat different players differently (the T of Beverly and non-T for Aldridge IIRC) and there are also many examples were the rules are just stupid (when a player gets a T for complaining, or taunting) or when they give a foul to a player when he is backing down in the post and the defender just decided to fall down.

The inconsistency and apparent randomness of certain calls are what bothers me the most.

On top of that, since we have so many camera angles why not use them more to get the call right, For example they can review who touched the ball last in the last 2 minutes, but they cannot see if the ball was in fact out of bound:confused: Why these arbitrary choices in what a ref can and cannot review. Why not use the technology since it is available.

6. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

Chris Paul clearly fouled Curry in the last possesion of the game while shooting a 3 and no fkn foul was called.

FKN trash ass refs!!

7. arno_ed

Agreed, clearly he hit his elbow, I thought they said that every contact between elbow and wrist would be a call:confused:.

(since game 1 was clearly a foul on Paul which was not called they are even, so I do not think the Clippers are favored by the refs in this series, but 2 games finished with a terrible call of the refs)

8. adobo

adobo Member

True about making the most of the technology that is available. I'm sure there will be changes to how the video review is going to be used in the not so distant future

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

My theory is they are paving the way for the clippers, eliminating all threats . LA is the biggest crook city. Not using this an excuse for the rockets but for the spurs, GSW, pacers...

10. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

It was clearly a foul, and should have been called. Sucks for GSW.

However, the Refs don't like to make calls in the last few seconds of the game, so I'm not surprised they chose to swallow their whistles. Paul was probably aware of this and knew he could get away with the foul.

Furthermore, what is with all the flopping from the three point line this year. It seems like anytime a three point shot is taken, the shooter comes down and falls to the floor like his legs are paralyzed. This constant flopping makes it all the more difficult for the Refs to determine when a foul is actually being committed. I think the players, because of their flopping, are partially to blame for these missed calls by the Refs.

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Definitely. The foul on Green late in the game when Griffin obviously knocked him over was also bogus. Same ole NBA.

12. arno_ed

Indeed, it was similar (just not as obvious) as the 2 mavs regular season games which are on the first pages of this thread. Refs do not want to make the call, so they let a clear foul go, which determines the game.

Agreed on the flopping, it is annoying that with every three pointer the shooter falls down. It is terrible. The players are partly to blame, but the league in general condones flopping, (and sometimes even stimulate it since it is the only way to get a call in certain situations. The fines for flopping are laughable.

13. adobo

adobo Member

One way they can minimize flopping in the league is to allow each team to call reviews prior to the last 2 min mark of the game (similar to tennis) where they lose there review privileges for the game when they are proven to be wrong in a review, so at least that way the teams can't just ask for a review willy nilly unless they are confident it's a bad call.

So let's say C.Paul flops and he bluffs the ref's of calling a foul, the other team can ask the ref to review it. If they are right, and it's not a foul, then the ref can change the call and the team allowed to keep review privilege, but if the review shows they are wrong, then they lose there review privilege.

14. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

man **** review of that. nba games are already too long.

they need a rule like in hockey. diving/embellishment gets a 2 minute penalty... and yes they do call it and it has cleaned the game up.
    obviously it is a bit easier to notice because hockey is a contact sport while basketball isnt but you can still tell obvious flops in basketball.

something needs to be done because it is the #1 reason NBA is losing viewership.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think the "you can't touch the jump shooter" rule is just too tempting for the shooter to flop. They have got to fix that. It's getting ridiculous.

Ultimately, it discourages defenders from closing out on shooters, which is one of the most fundamental defensive plays of basketball.

16. Awesome

Awesome Member

This is a very ignorant statement.

17. Sajan

Sajan Member

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the nba is an utter ****ing joke. i don't even like curry but it's 100% clear as day he gets fouled here.

19. clippy

clippy Member

Curry pushed off before the "foul" though.

20. arno_ed

He did. But they never call the push off. Which is something you can also hold against the refs. That they hardly ever call the push off and sometimes they suddenly do.

i understand you are invested in this. I am not saying the refs helped the clippers. I am saying that they are inconsistent. In this series 2 of the 3 games were heavenly influenced by the inconsistency of the refs.