1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terrence Williams PR Department (AKA STOP TWEETING)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dobro1229, Jan 11, 2011.

1. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

A lot of players can put up stats, but it doesn't translate into victories. T-Will is probably as talented as somebody like Tyreke Evans, but neither one is going to be a winner until they learn to play team basketball, stay within the offense and show some basic maturity. Better players than Terrence Williams have flamed out in the NBA because they were immature d-bags. Don't be an immature d-bag, Terrence.

2. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

Uh, Twitter and Facebook were the primary communication tools used by millions of people in Egypt and Tunisia to bring down two entrenched dictators in the last couple months.

That said, using Twitter as a form of expressive therapy like Twill has, is counterproductive. He should just get a shrink if he wants to get things off his chest. Posting to Twitter about your frustrations at work is the wrong way to conduct yourself as a professional. I know in my line of business it would be a really good way to sabotage one's own career.

3. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Or maybe he doesn't think its as big as a deal as some of our sensitive fans? Seriously, Morey and the Rockets have more important things to worry about him venting on twitter. It sure beats walking out on the team in the 2nd half. As long as he isn't causing a problem in the locker room or on the court (which he hasn't) then he can type away all he wants. Geez, his tweets aren't even bad.

but this isn't your line of business. the NBA is a completely different world compared to our regular line of businesses.

4. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

everyone that has a twitter capable phone, (which is basically every phone) should jump on the twitter bandwagon. It could easily eliminate the need for texting. twitter is an all in one sports tracker, world news, gossip, chat room, weather, local news feed, or whatever floats your boat. its all there depending on who you follow.. dismissing it as some worthless toy is ignorant.. i actually get a lot of rockets info by following clutch's twitter feed..

5. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

They are not bad to where it requires him to STOP TWEETING. Williams has not thrown anyone under the bus or attacked anyone. Its bad in that Williams shows himself to be too impatient and he wants the WORLD to see that, when others are NOT doing that.

Will other players do it in the future? Maybe. But Williams puts his messages out there for public viewing and public opinion.

Thing is it doesnt matter if its coach Rick Adelman, Van Gundy, Rudy T, Don Chaney, Bill Fitch, etc...a personal campaign to play undercuts the coaching decision no matter how nice or emotional the suggestion is. Not the fans, but Adelman HIMSELF has all reasons to twitter respond back to him "Shut the HELL up, you'll play when you get put in." If Williams is doing it just for the support of the fans, whatever. If he's actually trying to alter a coaching decision, its an ineffective method.

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Harmless tweeting is harmless.:rolleyes:

7. davestrate

davestrate Member

I agree with a lot of the negative things that are being said throughout this thread about T-Will yet I'm still fond of raw talent such as his'. I watched a video recently on rockets.com right after the trade deadline where he specifically mentioned Rick Adelman's expectations of him- attack the rim more and defer less to his teammates when he's in there.

As I watch his limited PT, I realize he isn't doing enough of that. He stands around running the play without improvising. I would like to see him crash the boards, ask for an alley oop, and get hard assists by driving to the basket as opposed to launching a missile through two defenders for an assist from the top of the key. In part I feel for him because you dont want to do anything too agressive that may look too flashy, something that RA doesn't seem to like very much.

8. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

Given the fact that the front office has said they've seen his tweets and that it isn't helping his case, I'd say his use of Twitter is probably not helping. Look, if he used Twitter as a promotional device, I don't think anyone would be starting a thread dissecting them. In fact, that's how you'd want to use Twitter. But he's used it to vent his frustrations--which can be interpreted by the coach and front office as a way to undermine their approach and therefore team chemistry. Even if he's not trying to undermine their approach, it certainly isn't helping him get PT. That's all.

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Sensitive fans??... Im not sure your looking at it the right way.

-Fans are concerned because their team's prospects can take their team to a whole new level, and they do not want players like him to let their ego ruin their career and waste a draft pick.

-Morey did not call him out directly about his Tweets, but made a point to say that "if he has a good attitude." then he will get his chance. Obviously they are looking closely at his attitude or it wouldn't have even been mentioned.

If it was Battier, or Chuck his attitude wouldn't have even been brought up in the conversation. Heck, Morey hasn't even used the word attitude when describing Hasheem Thabeet and his playing time. He's taking the high road now obviously, but we all know Morey is well aware of his Tweets and taking note.

-Just ask Clutch how many times Morey, and Adelman get asked about Terrence and his playing time during press conferences and practice media interviews. They are trying to pry information out of the two of them on whether there is anything going on behind the scenes because it is obvious (whether it be his tweets, or body language on the bench) that he is not happy with this situation and venting about it.

-If Jonathan Feigan and Matt Bullard both said in different interviews that his Tweets are not helping his cause for playing time, then Im sure they have a good idea that the front office and coaching staff are aware of them and taking note of it.

The Rockets have a rich history of character athletes who are hard working and are held to a standard higher than alot of professional teams. You better believe Les and Morey will do whatever they can to keep it that way even if it costs them a draft pick and a prospect.

-At this point they were willing to gamble on a bad attitude for talent, at a certain point though, they have their limits. Obviously Terrence hasn't hit that breaking point yet, but knowing the history of this team, its just not a good sign of things to come. thats all.

10. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

I'd rather T Will express his frustration over the internet rather than on the court. So far he has been a model teammate. Despite his frustration(I would be extremely frustrated if I were in his position, as well) he is always the first guy to get off the bench after a time out is called to go give high fives or whatever. If someone makes a nice play, he is always standing up and congratulating/ cheering on whoever made the play. For an alleged "troublemaker" he is a great teammate.

11. dobro1229

You dont see how making his frustration known to the public could be an issue?

-If you were unhappy at your job and you posted all about it on facebook and Twitter knowing that your boss would see it do you think that would be a smart move if you wanted a promotion??

12. spaceage808

spaceage808 Member

A bit ironic that the last time we had a player with poor character, we won it all! jk madmax wasnt as important as dream, but he definitely helped.

And we definitely need a player that plays with that burning fire. I don't agree the tweets make him look immature, but it is what it is. he is immature, but he has natural talents that I hope we get to see one day.

13. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Yeah and Flip Murray had back to back 50 point games, is he still in the league?

Fact of the matter is that Williams has been given ample time to figure it out but he never has. Whether he will or not is irrelevant, he doesn't deserve time right now. People bring up Chase and AB getting playing time, well those guys have proven that they can do what they're supposed to do, even though they aren't consistent. Williams has not.

Btw every team in the NBA thinks little of him, not just people on CF, that's why the best offer the Nets got was a lowly protected first rounder.

14. spaceage808

spaceage808 Member

meant to say i don't disagree ^^

15. dobro1229

Oh its totally true that the Rockets have had their share of characters in the past. After the championship, how much longer was Mad Max in a Rockets uniform though?? Did the Rockets give Artest a contract Long Term???

-There is no question the Rockets will take on a gamble on attitude if it benefits them short term on the basketball court, but they have shown that they will not cater to head cases long term and most of all will not cater to drama in the public.. They do a very good job of keeping their locker room issues out of the public eye. Thats why Terrence is under the watchful eye.

-I agree that they need players with an edge and that burning fire. I loved Artest for that ONE year because he gave this team an edge THAT YEAR, and even AB had that fire last year that really helped this team win. I just dont see how Terrence whining to the public is helping his team win. I want him to show that fire and desire on the court, not to the public on the internet.

16. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

I definitely see how it could be an issue, and I don't think it is helping him
    get any more playing time, but, with a guy with a "history" like Terrence, I don't think we can really expect him to have perfect behavior.

With the Nets, Terrence and Avery Johnson obviously had some issues, which led to Terrence's trip to the D-League and eventual departure from New Jersey. While I definitely don't approve of Terrence's complaining on Twitter, I would much rather have him vent his frustration on the internet and continue to be a good teammate rather than mope around on the court and cause issues in the locker room.

When people hold in what they have to say, they will eventually reach that breaking point and explode. Yes, it would be nice for Terrence to vent privately, but if tweeting is his way of relieving stress and avoiding that breaking point, he has the right to do whatever works for him.

17. kbp944f

kbp944f Member

Yeh...right..Adelman has really given Terrence William playing time since the trade..why the heck did we get him in trade if we are not going to give him a chance to show what he can do? FIRE the autocratic coach and find a young coach who relates to younger players. :mad:

18. Arun Sharma

Arun Sharma Member

Absolutely.. Get rid of a HOF coach who definitely does not play young players just like he did not play Brooks couple years back... just like he never Hill opportunities... just like Patterson still does not get the time.

Look at our bench. Lee/Patterson/Hill/Bud all got PT and they are young too.

But yeah, T-Will is special so he must be treated special way. Whenever I see him a game, everything is just so smooth.

19. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Much like D'Antoni, he plays young players, just not bad ones.

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I hate Twitter regardless of how many world wars it has prevented or babies it has saved.