1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terrence Williams' Jumper

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BEAT LA, Apr 10, 2011.

1. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Has anyone seen this guy set up for threes? I went to the Clippers game last night, and he was shooting around before the game. He looks like a frog with a basketball. He hardly gets any lift off the ground, and he leans his upper body forward too much. Surprisingly, he was making them. I know you're supposed to do what works for you, but I just don't see how he can make that shot during an actual game. When Kevin Martin shoots he's always in rhythm. Williams' forces it too much. He needs to get more lift on his jumper, and rely less on his upper body strength a la James Posey.

2. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

Squid B Free

3. gah

gah Member

What you described is exactly what I imagined a person with abdominal problems shooting like.

4. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

James Posey has always been a solid catch and shoot 3 point shooter.

5. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

I thought he was nervous when he aired that three during a game. After watching him shoot yesterday, I understand why. It's hard to get that shot up in a game even when it's wide open. He needs a more natural shot. He has all the right tools, but he has to get in the gym to work on his game during the off season.

I hope that was it, but I've seen that shot before just not as many times. It works off the dribble because he gets more lift. It's a terrible way to spot up and shoot from the corner.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I don't know what to make of this guy. Based on what I saw when he managed to get on the court, the word that comes to mind would be "bust." How many physically gifted players have we seen come through the Rockets roster over the years? Too many to count and most didn't make the grade. The guy has the physical tools to be an impact player, but Williams brought the offense to a halt when he came in. That tells me he's either stupid, stubborn, or both. Maybe things will "click" for Williams, eventually. I'm not holding my breath.

7. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

If his abdominal pain is gone, I hope to see him less bent forward in his shooting form.

8. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

Why would you give advice to a guy who is going to be on another team next year anyways?

9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

...needs practice

10. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

As long as he is a Rocket, I'll be pulling for him. It's not his fault Morey squandered a draft pick for him when we already had two better than solid shooting guards. However, I sincerely hope he has the fortitude this summerto make needed improvements in his game. He is a terrific passer with vision and great ball handling skills.

11. CCorn

CCorn Member

I thought this thread meant he was standing on a bridge saying he was going to do it.

1 person likes this.
  12. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

The strange part is that he seems to have the basketball skills to go with the physical tools. It seems to me, in the minutes he has played, is he tries to do too much. He tries to take everybody and anybody off the dribble, takes difficult shots, and goes for the spectacular pass too often. I think he tries too hard to show all his skills to show that he belongs. I'm hopeful he can grow out of that phase and be able to contribute next season.

13. Defy9

Defy9 Member

I agree, he needs to change his jumpshot even though it goes in - Some guy on Clutchfans who isn't getting paid millions to play basketball.

14. clos4life

clos4life Member

Squid: "We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice."

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I'm still hoping this guy gets his act together and become that missing 3 that we all are hoping for.

16. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

So much hate for a Rocket that has barely played meaningful minutes.

18. vince

vince Member

To be honest, Adelman is trying to humble him. Williams came across as a guy who is very cocky. I think that Williams is getting humbled, because if he doesn't it will be 2 teams he squanders opportunities with.... Morey has said that T Will has the skill(z) to be an all-star.

Let's not give up so fast on this guy.

Hey the Rockets got 2 players this year with still a lot fo potential. Thabeet and Williams - if one or the other becomes a solid rotation player (or an all-star), I think Morey did a good job of plucking talent. And he got both of them for relatively cheap prices. Thabeet + 1st round = Battier.... Williams = 1st round future pick.... So Morey give the "Nets" a 1st round pick and get's one from Memphis (it's almost a wash - except if the Rockets make the playoffs and the Grizzley's miss the playoffs) But honestly I'd expect both the Rockets and the Grizzley's to make the playoff next season.

Let's see if either of these guys show any improvement during the summer. Heck it will be fun to watch these guys develop an NBA game. If they don't follow recommendations set by the coaching staff; cut it loose quicker rather than later.

By the way it's been said that efficient NBA rotations are 8 1/2... Therefore, carrying a project or 2 isnt' a bad idea, when the potential reward is very high.

It was a good calculated risk.

19. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

This guy gets paid millions to watch the game from the best seat in the house.

Who would you listen to: The guy who has played basketball his entire life, or the guy who started playing basketball as a kid when the football field was too wet to play on?

Edit: His release point is too low. If he doesn't fix his form he will get blocked every time a defender is within five feet of him. Not that that's a problem because his defender is usually daring him to shoot.

#19 BEAT LA, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  20. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

You might've played basketball your entire life, but he's better at it. Let the grown men handle their own business, lol...