1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terrence Jones

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Realjad, Oct 22, 2014.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I don't hate Jones at all. I am always pleased when he has a good game. I do feel that an upgrade at the 4 is needed. DM went all out to get Bosh.

Your point about management's focus on centers and SF's prior to the Yao Ming era is very interesting. CD should have gone after the young J. O'Neil instead of Cato when Pippen was traded. Portland had Grant and Rasheed at that time.

2. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Excellent post. Even if this kid goes out and scores 40pts, 20 boards and 5 block shots there will be people in here still b****ing and crying about him lol. The knee jerk reactions about TJ during preseason were absolutely comical. LOL

3. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

For stepping up like this my man you just got repped. Wish there were more posters like you.

4. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

This is ridiculous. Sports isn't like life where some people just show up and everything's fine. In professional sports, nobody will be perfect. The competition is always trying to physically dominate you. Give this guy a break. Being nitpicky is about the worst trait any person can have. He's not yet 23. If you criticize him for stomping that homeless man, I'm with you 100%; it was deplorable. If you're criticizing him for not always being a 20 and 10 guy, then that's just ridiculous.

5. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

So, Jones's bad defense doesn't matter because there is no such thing as good defense. Harden will be happy to hear that one.

That's just a red herring. Every good player is going to put up numbers. The question is, are you going to let a 23 point scorer get 28 points on 60% shooting, or are you going to hold him to 20 on 45% shooting. I would just like to see Jones offer some resistance, and be able to hold that guy to his average. I'd like to see the opposing PF be forced to shoot over the top a little bit, instead of being able to easily push Jones down into the lane for a point blank shot.

6. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

I'm telling you what, if Tjones can come into his own and put together consistent outings, the Rox can be seen as legit contenders. The pg and pf spots on this team continue to be the big question marks. I've been feeling for a while the Jones is the X-factor. At times he can be a tease but there's no denying his talent. I was thinking Dmo was turning a corner during preseason but I'm starting to believe Dmo's Rocket days are numbered and will be packaged in trade by deadline.

7. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

WinkFan come on man thud far Jones has played solid defense. If you played basketball before you should know that some players will get the best of you. Last season Jones shot 54% so are saying other PF'S are weak and sorry too.

8. basketballholic

The gauge of Terrence's development is not how he plays against 3 lottery teams. It's how he plays against the Spurs, Clippers, Grizzlies, Blazers, Pelicans, Bulls, and other good teams with oversized 4/5 combinations that we will see in the playoffs and Finals if we get there.

But he did look very good last night mixing it up against Boston's youngsters, especially with the 2 for 4 from deep. So we can once again hope and pray that his game has turned a corner.

9. WinkFan

I'm just amazed how easily some people dismiss defense, as if it wasn't even worth talking about.

I'm not asking for Jones to be Hakeem(who must not have been good on defense, since nobody can shut down good big guys), I'd like to see him be average on defense.

10. mockster

mockster Member

Only issue is got with jones is that he's got the size of a bigger SF but the length of a PF. T jones is good but idk how he can fare against PFs like Aldridge, griffin, Randolph,lee, millsap and etc. these guys tend to be much bigger and obviously more skilled in there positions.

11. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

I agree, but his best defense is his offense. My gripe with him is that he's very inconsistent. He'll have a great game then disappear for 2. If he played well game in game out we'd be very hard to beat.

12. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jones is 6'9 and 252. He is NOT undersized. He just needs to get stronger in the lower body so players can't back him down as easily. No one could back down Chuck Hayes and he was only 6'6.

13. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

So Hakeem was shutting down the likes of Robinson, Ewing, Malone, Morning and other decent to elite bigs.

Man Jones will never be the defensive player like the Dream.

Nobody is not dismissing anything, I just know in basketball you are not going to shut down elite -decent scores. All you can hope is to contain them.

Jones defense has been solid so far, even our great commentators said that last night.

But hey nitpick all you want bro. We are 3-0 and that's all that matters.

14. WinkFan

That's exactly the point. I'm asking him to contain them, which he currently can't do.

As for containing good bigs, here are the scoring averages and FG% for PF's in the round they lost in last year's WC playoffs.

Dirk 19pts, 43%
    Zack 18pts, 40%
    Lee 14pts 53%
    Jones 8pts, 51%

Aldridge 22pts, 42%
    Griffin 24pts, 46%

Ibaka 12pts, 51%

#274 WinkFan, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  15. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

You don't really know what he can do against them yet since he hasn't played against them this season. Year two as a starter and year 3 in the league would suggest he has improved. His defense so far in 3 games this season has been better than last season. Let's wait until he has a real stinker before talking about how bad he is.

16. WinkFan

I guess we are watching different games. Considering he's played against Boozer, Kanter, and Sullinger this season, I don't think his defense has been better so far.

I agree that he could improve given his age and inexperience, but he actually needs to do it.

#276 WinkFan, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  17. bongman

bongman Member

So what do you suggest he can do to get older and more experienced really quick?

18. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Oh I get it, you are looking at the box scores and trying to judge his defense. If you did watch the game last night then you would know his defense was very good. Some of Sullinger's points came head to head against Dwight. Some of his points were on 2nd chance opportunities when know one got the rebound after TJ caused a shot alteration and miss on the 1st opportunity and some of Sullinger's points happened with the game out of hand. Particularly to start the 2nd half when Houston was 20 points up and the team as a whole started coasting a little until Boston got to within 11.

Last nights game was really a bad game for you to try and claim TJ's defense was bad. Unless you just looked at the box score and assumed all of Sullinger's 14 points were against TJ.

19. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

IDC about Sullinger's point total. I watched the game and when TJ was isolated in the post against Sullinger, Sullinger easily backed him down for a point blank look. It looked like TJ was on skates with how easy he got backed down. Major weakness that West teams already are aware of and no doubt is on TJ's scouting report. That's on TJ to fix that.

On the other hand, TJ's help defense is pretty strong. He gets quite a few blocks and rebounds coming off his man to help on the driver. So he is not a complete fail at defense. Just his post.

20. okeezie

okeezie Member

This from the same guy who consistently writes _ones and said at the age of 22 he could never improve his shooting and has spent 2 years bashing him. Please recuse yourself from talking about Jones. It's obvious you don't know what you are talking about. A guy that would be a rookie if he played 4 years in college and he can't improve? Your words buddy...your words.

1 person likes this.